Re: [Czechlist] Term - Eng - Jurisdiction

    Message 1 of 12 , May 5 5:21 AM
      On May 4, 2008, at 2:32 AM, Jirka Bolech wrote:

      > Thanks, Michel and Jamie, for educating me further on the subject.
      > We've
      > basically started a new thread and not a very linguistic one.

      The fact that it doesn't deal with syntax or linguistic terminology
      doesn't mean it's not useful to translators. I'm finding more and
      more that people's problems with translation are often due to an
      inability to visualize what's behind the words, and absorbing more
      knowledge about legal systems, technical processes or social behavior
      helps people make the jump from words on a page to actual
      understanding and sensible translation.

      It's possible to know every word on a page, and not understand
      anything. As I've mentioned before on the list, I demonstrate this
      with my ESL classes. I give them this paragraph, which contains no
      words that they don't know:

      "It was the day of the big party. Jennifer wondered if Tom would like
      a kite. She went to her room and shook her piggy bank. There was no
      sound."

      Then I ask them these questions:

      1. What kind of party is it?
      2. How old are Tom and Jennifer?
      3. Why is there no sound?

      A woman recently arrived from Lebanon says:

      1. "The party is a wedding."
      2. "I don't know how old Tom and Jennifer are, but they're definitely
      not children."
      3. "There's no sound because the guests haven't arrived yet."

      A man from Macedonia says:

      3. "There's no sound because the wind isn't blowing on the beach, and
      they can't fly the kites."

      A woman from Vietnam -- the best student in the class -- says:

      "I think this paragraph has no meaning!"

      The Chinese woman agrees.

      Most of the people who misunderstand the paragraph -- whose meaning is
      obvious to Americans -- come from countries with no tradition of
      children's birthday parties or of children having their own money.

      The same thing can happen to translators, even though they have
      relatively sophisticated language knowledge. I've done many a repair
      job on translations that were botched because the first translator
      couldn't picture the situation. I got one that had a Bohemian glass
      producer delivering large quantities of glass to St. John twice a
      year. Of course, by medieval times, St. John had been dead for
      centuries, but the original translator apparently had no clue about
      scheduling things according to the Catholic liturgical calendar (such
      as on the feast of St. John), rather than according to numerical dates.

      I've seen a Czech interpreter translate an explanation of how vacant
      housing in an American city is rehabilitated as if the US city were
      reenacting the 1948 communist seizure of the Czech bourgeoisie's
      houses and their breaking them up into apartments. The city was
      actually selling abandoned houses to people at a discount. The Czech
      interpreter lacked the mental schema for abandoned housing and its
      disposal, because this doesn't really exist in Europe.

      The same day, I saw an American banker talk about a volunteer
      organization of bankers that met a couple of times a week to research
      and apply for improvement grants for the city. It was all totally for
      free, but the then mayor of Brno talked to me later and had understood
      it as a scheme for flowing the grant money through the banks so that
      the banks could take a piece of it. This was not stated, and it
      wasn't happening, but because His Honor the Mayor lacked the right
      cultural schema in his mind, he completely misunderstood what was
      being told to him, even in his own language.

      So this cultural stuff is important.