Re: [Czechlist] MEANING: Decreasing action

    Message 1 of 5 , May 5, 2008
      On May 5, 2008, at 7:31 AM, Vlastimila Palíková wrote:

      > or the action of YYY on the XXX concentration was decreasing
      > in time?

      I think it's this one.

    • Vlastimila Palíková
      Message 2 of 5 , May 5, 2008
        Hi all of you who can help me with the exact meaning of "decreasing action"
        in "A decreasing action of YYY on XXX concentration in serum was observed
        ..." Does it mean, that the action of YYY caused a decrease of the XXX
        concentration, or the action of YYY on the XXX concentration was decreasing
        in time? I would guess the former, can you pls give me your viewpoints?

        Thx, best, Vlasta

        RNDr. Vlastimila Palikova

        translator

        Babicka 17

        785 01 Sternberk, Czech Republic

        tel., fax: +420-585012197 mobile: 0420-608818786

        e-mail: vlastimila@...

        Message 3 of 5 , May 5, 2008
          If it's a non-native speaker who wrote this sentence, I would vouch for
          a reducing effect, not effect being reduced. If it's a native speaker,
          then Jamie should be right but... but then, I am missing a part of
          information - decreasing when and why?

          BTW, is there any connection to the Jarda's query below?

          Martin

          Vlastimila Palíková napsal(a):

          > Hi all of you who can help me with the exact meaning of "decreasing action"
          > in "A decreasing action of YYY on XXX concentration in serum was observed
          > ..." Does it mean, that the action of YYY caused a decrease of the XXX
          > concentration, or the action of YYY on the XXX concentration was decreasing
          > in time? I would guess the former, can you pls give me your viewpoints?
          >
          > Thx, best, Vlasta
          >
          > RNDr. Vlastimila Palikova
          >
          > translator
          >
          > Babicka 17
          >
          > 785 01 Sternberk, Czech Republic
          >
          > tel., fax: +420-585012197 mobile: 0420-608818786
          >
          > e-mail: vlastimila@... <mailto:vlastimila%40palikova.cz>

        • Vlastimila Palíková
          Message 4 of 5 , May 5, 2008
            Martin,

            I would say the same. The missing information would be not only when and
            why, but what is the action itself, i.e. what YYY causes. Anyway, thank you
            and Jamie.

            (Martin, no connetion to the query below, I just wanted to copy the address
            of Czechlist. Sorry, I forgot to delete the old message :-()

            Best, Vlasta