Re: [Czechlist] Term - Eng - Jurisdiction

    Message 1 of 12 , May 3, 2008
      On May 3, 2008, at 6:29 PM, Michael Trittipo wrote:

      > That's because each state is technically a different country (that
      > has given up some of its sovereignty to the central government), and
      > most lawsuits are handled in state courts, not in the federal
      > (national) system.

      This is true even to the point that if one state wants to try a
      criminal who is resident in another state, they have to request
      extradition from that state, just as they would from another country.

      And sometimes that extradition is refused. In high school we were
      taught about a case where a man crossed the state line in order to
      escape prosecution for a crime he'd committed. Decades later, the
      state he'd left from found him and requested extradition. However, in
      the meantime the man had become a completely model citizen -- not only
      never committing any more crimes, but also greatly contributing to the
      betterment of his community. His state of residence refused to turn
      him over for prosecution.

      Message 2 of 12 , May 3, 2008
        Thanks, Michel and Jamie, for educating me further on the subject. We've
        basically started a new thread and not a very linguistic one.

        > These happen to be the cases selected because they could be resolved
        within 15 minutes or a half hour.

        To pay justice (in exchange ;-)) to the Czech Republic's courts, they do
        deal with some cases efficiently, for example if you fail to have a valid
        fare ticket using city transport and refuse to pay the fine if cought by the
        wardens (or whatever you would call these guys who on a random basis check
        the passsangers for having paid the fare). There's normally no standing for
        that, only a kind of buraeucratic procedure. The same for failing to pay
        your insurance policy; policy contracts leave no space for defence.

        I also admit that the cases in those three particular YouTube shots were
        rather simple and the defendants rather simple too (although the middle one
        [as listed] was just unlucky to upset the judge). What I can't imagine being
        in this country is the way the judges shown there speak to the defendants.
        Maybe I'm wrong. Maybe the only real difference is we don't yet have TV
        shows like that over here...

        Message 3 of 12 , May 5, 2008
          On May 4, 2008, at 2:32 AM, Jirka Bolech wrote:

          > Thanks, Michel and Jamie, for educating me further on the subject.
          > We've
          > basically started a new thread and not a very linguistic one.

          The fact that it doesn't deal with syntax or linguistic terminology
          doesn't mean it's not useful to translators. I'm finding more and
          more that people's problems with translation are often due to an
          inability to visualize what's behind the words, and absorbing more
          knowledge about legal systems, technical processes or social behavior
          helps people make the jump from words on a page to actual
          understanding and sensible translation.

          It's possible to know every word on a page, and not understand
          anything. As I've mentioned before on the list, I demonstrate this
          with my ESL classes. I give them this paragraph, which contains no
          words that they don't know:

          "It was the day of the big party. Jennifer wondered if Tom would like
          a kite. She went to her room and shook her piggy bank. There was no
          sound."

          Then I ask them these questions:

          1. What kind of party is it?
          2. How old are Tom and Jennifer?
          3. Why is there no sound?

          A woman recently arrived from Lebanon says:

          1. "The party is a wedding."
          2. "I don't know how old Tom and Jennifer are, but they're definitely
          not children."
          3. "There's no sound because the guests haven't arrived yet."

          A man from Macedonia says:

          3. "There's no sound because the wind isn't blowing on the beach, and
          they can't fly the kites."

          A woman from Vietnam -- the best student in the class -- says:

          "I think this paragraph has no meaning!"

          The Chinese woman agrees.

          Most of the people who misunderstand the paragraph -- whose meaning is
          obvious to Americans -- come from countries with no tradition of
          children's birthday parties or of children having their own money.

          The same thing can happen to translators, even though they have
          relatively sophisticated language knowledge. I've done many a repair
          job on translations that were botched because the first translator
          couldn't picture the situation. I got one that had a Bohemian glass
          producer delivering large quantities of glass to St. John twice a
          year. Of course, by medieval times, St. John had been dead for
          centuries, but the original translator apparently had no clue about
          scheduling things according to the Catholic liturgical calendar (such
          as on the feast of St. John), rather than according to numerical dates.

          I've seen a Czech interpreter translate an explanation of how vacant
          housing in an American city is rehabilitated as if the US city were
          reenacting the 1948 communist seizure of the Czech bourgeoisie's
          houses and their breaking them up into apartments. The city was
          actually selling abandoned houses to people at a discount. The Czech
          interpreter lacked the mental schema for abandoned housing and its
          disposal, because this doesn't really exist in Europe.

          The same day, I saw an American banker talk about a volunteer
          organization of bankers that met a couple of times a week to research
          and apply for improvement grants for the city. It was all totally for
          free, but the then mayor of Brno talked to me later and had understood
          it as a scheme for flowing the grant money through the banks so that
          the banks could take a piece of it. This was not stated, and it
          wasn't happening, but because His Honor the Mayor lacked the right
          cultural schema in his mind, he completely misunderstood what was
          being told to him, even in his own language.

          So this cultural stuff is important.