Re: [Czechlist] NS (or grammarian) needed: or in negative expression

  • Jennifer Hejtmánková
    Message 1 of 14 , Apr 1, 2008
      Yes, as Vlaier says - it means "we can't do this OR this, ADN we can't
      do this either (keep the price low, in this case)"

      Ain't English fun? :)))

      Jennifer

      Message 2 of 14 , Apr 1, 2008
        I agree.

        "We can't do 1 or 2," means, "We can't do 1." + "We can't do 2." The
        negative particle in "can't" applies to both items.

        This application of a negative particle across clause boundaries
        becomes a factor in bad Czech-to-English translations, as I brought up
        on the list in days of yore.

        For example, there was a show on Czech TV called "Nevahej a toc!".
        The CTV website translated the title as "Don't hesitate and shoot!"
        which actually means, "Nevahej a netoc!" because the negative particle
        in "don't" applies to both verbs. The title should have been
        translated as something like, "Hurry up and shoot!"

        Message 3 of 14 , Apr 1, 2008
          Hello Honza,

          :-) Don't forget, English 'or' can yield a 'conjunctive'
          interpretation in negative sentences. Well, that's what it says here:
          http://www.ling.umd.edu/cnl/lunch/goro.html

          E.g. Junior didn't eat the carrot or the pepper = he didn't eat the
          carrot AND he didn't eat the pepper = he ate neither the carrot nor
          the pepper.

          For your 'mutually exclusive' idea to be expressed, I would look for
          an EITHER/OR construction.

          Fascinating stuff.

          M.

          --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, "Jan Vaněk jr."

          Message 4 of 14 , Apr 1, 2008
            "I can't help you and cook dinner."
            = I can't do both at the same time.

            "I can't help you or cook dinner."
            = I can't do either of them at all.

            Jamie

            On Apr 1, 2008, at 7:38 PM, melvyn.geo wrote:

            > Hello Honza,
            >
            > :-) Don't forget, English 'or' can yield a 'conjunctive'
            > interpretation in negative sentences. Well, that's what it says here:
            > http://www.ling.umd.edu/cnl/lunch/goro.html
            >
            > E.g. Junior didn't eat the carrot or the pepper = he didn't eat the
            > carrot AND he didn't eat the pepper = he ate neither the carrot nor
            > the pepper.
            >
            > For your 'mutually exclusive' idea to be expressed, I would look for
            > an EITHER/OR construction.
            >
            > Fascinating stuff.
            >
            > M.
            >
            > --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, "Jan Vaněk jr."
            > <jan.vanek.jr@...> wrote:
            > >
            > > From a Dilbert comics:
            > >
            > > D: My project is on hold. Do you need any help on yours?
            > > Alice: Sure. Call these customers and tell them we can't deliver
            > > on time or with the features they need.
            > > D: Do you have any tasks that *don't* feel like getting waterboarded
            > > on your birthday?
            > > A: And tell them the price went up.
            > >
            > > Now, does the "or" (rather) mean "neither-nor" (with the punchline
            > > completing the triad), or a "one or the other" tradeoff (as I'm
            > > told is the custom for IT, by definition of software development
            > > which ensures at least something is always there to deliver),
            > > i. e., interestingly, the same thing the sentence would mean
            > > without the "not"?
            > >
            > > Thanks,
            > >
            > > --
            > > Jan Van�k jr. - http://twitter.com/jvjr - same username at Gmail
            > >
            > > A translation from Talpress: the guy who was writing
            > > sensible-but-radical posts to various newsgroups I hung out in
            > > - ten kluk, kter� psal chytr�, ale radik�ln� �l�nky do
            > > rozli�n�ch novin, kter�ch jsem si v�dycky v�imnul ...

          • Jan Vaněk jr.
            Message 5 of 14 , Apr 2, 2008
              --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, "melvyn.geo" <zehrovak@...> wrote:

              > :-) Don't forget, English 'or' can yield a 'conjunctive'
              > interpretation in negative sentences. Well, that's what it says here:
              > http://www.ling.umd.edu/cnl/lunch/goro.html

              My maths training never lets me forget that a negation of disjunction
              is a conjunction of negations, and I tried to argue so in the debate
              that brought me here for the ultimate (read: perhaps more inclined
              to my point the previous ones ;-) authority, but it isn't always
              so easy in natural languages - or at the very least, I was thinking
              too much in Czech, which is apparently closer to Japanese than to
              English.

              Might this be another vestige of, IIRC/ISTR, the influence of
              mathematics during the 17th (or 18th?) century that was purportedly
              the main reason for prescribing the double negative out of English?

              Thanks to all who replied!

              --
              Jan Vanek jr.
            • Gerald Turner
              Message 6 of 14 , Apr 2, 2008
                Dear Jan,

                Changing the subject: could I suggest that you replace the "e s hackem"
                with a plain "e" in your email address?

                Gerry

                --
                Czech-In Translations
                V lesíčku 5

                To see a World in a Grain of Sand
                And a Heaven in a Wild Flower,
                Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand
                And Eternity in an hour.

                Message 7 of 14 , Apr 2, 2008
                  "I can't help you and cook dinner."
                  = I can't do both at the same time.

                  Hmmm OK, I feel AND could well be marked for expressiveness here and
                  might often be uttered with emphasis, if it is in the sense of "I
                  can't help you with your homework AND cook your dinner" = "I don't
                  have two ***** pairs of hands, you know!"

                  However, the situation is surely complicated by the possibility of
                  hendiadys: "I can't help you and cook dinner" = "I can't help you to
                  cook dinner" or "I can't help you by cooking the dinner" on the same
                  model as: Don't try and help him = don't try to help him.

                  Going off on this tangent for a moment, Jarmila Tarnyiková deals with
                  this hendiadys issue in her excellent Sentence Complexes in Text.
                  Other (positive) examples she takes from the British National Corpus:
                  Be sure and get paid for everything = Be sure to get paid for everything.
                  Could I start and remind delegates... = Could I start by reminding
                  delegates...
                  Be an angel and shut up = Mlc s drzkou anebo dostanes (OK no hits on
                  Google for this, but I swear that's what I've heard in Kladno :-O, but
                  I digress).

                  "Hendiadys presents a formidable problem for the analyst as well as
                  for ESL acquisition. The problem of how to distinguish between two
                  separate predications and hendiadys is also of relevance to the
                  processes of translating and interpreting." (p. 112 ibid)

                  "I can't help you or cook dinner."
                  = I can't do either of them at all.

                  This strikes me as being the more common unmarked form in a negative
                  sentence.

                  Message 8 of 14 , Apr 2, 2008
                    On Apr 2, 2008, at 7:14 AM, Jan Vaněk jr. wrote:

                    > Might this be another vestige of, IIRC/ISTR, the influence of
                    > mathematics during the 17th (or 18th?) century that was purportedly
                    > the main reason for prescribing the double negative out of English?

                    Yes, that's very probable, although I have no idea what "IIRC/ISTR"
                    means.

                    The grammarians of the 17th and 18th century forced a lot of rules on
                    English that were very unnatural to the language, based on their
                    assumption that Latin was more perfect and more rational. However,
                    when they didn't like some characteristic of English that was similar
                    to one in Latin -- such as double negatives -- they ignored Latin and
                    used math as their rationale.

                  • Veselý Petr
                    Message 9 of 14 , Apr 2, 2008
                      Hello everybody,

                      I would appreciate help with the explanation of the above terms in the context of Company Register Information.

                      The document says :

                      Last accounts made up to: 24/01/2000
                      Next accounts due
                      Last return made up to
                      Next return due

                      Accounts of XYZ company made up to
                      Return made up to 24/01/2007

                      Does "return" mean simply "zisk"? What do they mean by "accounts" - ucetni vykazy, zakaznici, ucty, something else?

                      TIA
                      Petr

                      Message 10 of 14 , Apr 2, 2008
                        posledni ucetni uzaverka a posledni danove priznani (podano) atd...

                        Message 11 of 14 , Apr 2, 2008
                          Presne tak.
                          Martin

                          Matej Klimes napsal(a):

                          > posledni ucetni uzaverka a posledni danove priznani (podano) atd...

                        • Veselý Petr
                          Message 12 of 14 , Apr 3, 2008
                            Diky, chlapi,

                            není tam kontext a ja mam ted obdobi, kdy mi to moc nepali, tak jste mi vytrhli trn z paty.