TERM: Dramaturg

    Message 1 of 19 , Mar 27 1:43 PM
      Hullo again,

      This one is perhaps especially for you Coilin, but it's not a rush job
      or anything.

      I keep coming across 'dramaturg' in a radio context, and when I've
      asked in the past I've been told it varies a lot from job to job but
      'script editor' is sometimes a good solution. Okay fine, but sometimes
      it crops up for various music programmes and I'm not sure what the job
      entails in that case. Any ideas about other options? Radio dramaturges
      seem to be few and far between on the search engines.

    • Jaroslav Hejzlar
      Message 2 of 19 , Mar 27 1:57 PM
        Hi, Melvyn!
        I thought a "dramaturg" was someone who compiled the whole broadcasting schedule, chose the particular programmes and their sequence, etc. In case of a music programme, it could be similar, couldn't it? Anyway, I do not know how to call such a job in English. HTH.
        Regards,
        Jarda

        Message 3 of 19 , Mar 27 2:41 PM
          Hi Melvyn,

          I would be surprised if you said you haven't read the definition at
          http://cs.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dramaturg. You might want to ask BBC what they
          call this position. If they have it, anyway...

          Jirka Bolech
        • coilinoc
          Message 4 of 19 , Mar 27 3:53 PM
            I have occasionally seen "(content) programmer" used in some contexts
            C.

            Message 5 of 19 , Mar 27 6:56 PM
              If that's what it is, then Americans call it a "program director" at a
              radio or TV station, and this could work with a music performance
              program also. Radio and TV stations sometimes also call the person a
              "programming director".

              Jamie

              On Mar 27, 2008, at 4:57 PM, Jaroslav Hejzlar wrote:

              > Hi, Melvyn!
              > I thought a "dramaturg" was someone who compiled the whole
              > broadcasting schedule, chose the particular programmes and their
              > sequence, etc. In case of a music programme, it could be similar,
              > couldn't it? Anyway, I do not know how to call such a job in
              > English. HTH.
              > Regards,
              > Jarda

            • Gerald Turner
              Message 6 of 19 , Mar 28 1:57 AM
                But not for one specific broadcast, surely.

                Gerry, running

                On 28/03/2008, James Kirchner <jpklists@...> wrote:

                > If that's what it is, then Americans call it a "program director" at a
                > radio or TV station, and this could work with a music performance
                > program also. Radio and TV stations sometimes also call the person a
                > "programming director".
                >
                > Jamie
                >

                > On Mar 27, 2008, at 4:57 PM, Jaroslav Hejzlar wrote:
                >
                > > Hi, Melvyn!
                > > I thought a "dramaturg" was someone who compiled the whole
                > > broadcasting schedule, chose the particular programmes and their
                > > sequence, etc. In case of a music programme, it could be similar,
                > > couldn't it? Anyway, I do not know how to call such a job in
                > > English. HTH.
                > > Regards,
                > > Jarda

                Czech-In Translations
                V lesíčku 5
                150 00 Prague 5
                Czech Republic
                Tel/fax: ++ 420 235 357 194

                To see a World in a Grain of Sand
                And a Heaven in a Wild Flower,
                Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand
                And Eternity in an hour.

              • Bedrich Hadziu
                Message 7 of 19 , Mar 29 4:27 AM
                  Hello,

                  DRAMATURG is one of those I could never quite find a satisfactory term equivalent for in the Anglo-Saxon culture.

                  It has come to my interest when I studied film. "Dramaturg" in filmmaking was a person assigned to a project by the producer (studio) and his role was to provide the initial constructive criticism to the screenwriter, to work, mainly, with the screenwriter and to help him get the best of his material, make the piece more dramatic (hence the term), more appealing to the audience.

                  In Communism, unfortunately, these people often served the regime as cloaked censors. This was one of the reasons why, after the regime change in the Czech Republic, this profession was in little demand (for the largely bad reputation they had earned) and most film productions decided to do without them (which I personally believe was one of the reasons for the decline of the Czech film production, especially in the 1990's).

                  The Penguin English Dictionary gives this definition: "dramaturge - 1. a writer of plays 2. (aslo dramaturg) a literary adviser attached to a theatrical, operatic, or film company"
                  AND "dramaturgy - the art or technique of dramatic composition and theatrical representation" [ultimately from Greek 'drama' + '-ourgos' - worker, from 'ergon' - work]

                  US/English film productions do not use this term. I wonder, as long as they even have such a position on the crew, what it would be called nowadays.

                  In addition - Melvyn, I cannot find any definition for "script editor" on the Internet or in my dictionaries. Can you please refer me to one?

                  Bedrich

                  "melvyn.geo" <zehrovak@...> wrote:
                  Hullo again,

                  This one is perhaps especially for you Coilin, but it's not a rush job
                  or anything.

                  I keep coming across 'dramaturg' in a radio context, and when I've
                  asked in the past I've been told it varies a lot from job to job but
                  'script editor' is sometimes a good solution. Okay fine, but sometimes
                  it crops up for various music programmes and I'm not sure what the job
                  entails in that case. Any ideas about other options? Radio dramaturges
                  seem to be few and far between on the search engines.

                • Mihail Mihaylov
                  Message 8 of 19 , Mar 29 4:58 AM
                    Hello Bedrich,

                    You are absolutely right that the lack of censorship after the suicide of communism resulted in total dawnfall and hollywoodization of film industry, and this process affected all "former" countries ;)

                    I have been a direct eyewitness and, to my regret, a part of it as onset interpreter for several years after 1990.

                    You might want to check this site:

                    http://www.skillset.org/film/jobs/script/

                    for some definitions. It seems that dramaturg and script reader are the same thing (maybe a "bad" and a "good" censor :?)

                    Cheers,

                    Mihail

                    Message 9 of 19 , Mar 29 12:01 PM
                      My Movie Terminology Glossary says:
                      Script editing :
                      A process whereby a script is reviewed and changed, based on input from
                      various sources such as the director or producer.
                      Writers who specialize in script editing are called "script doctors", and
                      are frequently uncredited.
                      Jarda

                      > 1b. Re: TERM: Dramaturg
                      > Posted by: "Mihail Mihaylov" mmtrans@... fidelng1
                      > Date: Sat Mar 29, 2008 4:58 am ((PDT))
                      >
                      > Hello Bedrich,
                      >
                      > You are absolutely right that the lack of censorship after the suicide of
                      > communism resulted in total dawnfall and hollywoodization of film
                      > industry, and this process affected all "former" countries ;)
                      >
                      > I have been a direct eyewitness and, to my regret, a part of it as onset
                      > interpreter for several years after 1990.
                      >
                      > You might want to check this site:
                      >
                      > http://www.skillset.org/film/jobs/script/
                      >
                      > for some definitions. It seems that dramaturg and script reader are the
                      > same thing (maybe a "bad" and a "good" censor :?)
                      >
                      > Cheers,
                      >
                      > Mihail

                    • Alena Ryšková 2e
                      Message 10 of 19 , Mar 29 12:10 PM
                        Ted jsem si vzpomnela, ze mam tez special. slovnik, a sice "Nejpouzivanejsi
                        filmove vyrazy v praxi", vydal Ceskoslovensky filmovy ustav v r. 1988, kde
                        je u hesla dramaturgie uvedeno dramaturgy a pro dramaturg dve moznosti,
                        story reared a script editor. Toz tak.
                        Alena

                        Message 11 of 19 , Mar 30 8:57 AM
                          Can anyone tell me what "TL" means in this Slovak sentence?

                          > Podľa § 263 ods. 4 TL por. ak odopriete vypovedať pred súdom,
                          > bude Vaša výpoveď z prípravného konania prečítaná na súde,
                          > ak ste v pripravnom konani výslovne vyhlásili, že svojho práva
                          > odoprieť vypovedať nevyužívate.

                          The T has to stand for "trestny", but I don't know what the L stands
                          for.

                          Thanks very much.

                          Message 12 of 19 , Mar 30 9:18 AM
                            I'd say it's atypo for TZ (Trestny Zakonik) - there's no Google hits for TL and various combinations of odst. and §, which I'm sure there would be if it meant something

                            Can anyone tell me what "TL" means in this Slovak sentence?

                            > Podľa § 263 ods. 4 TL por. ak odopriete vypovedať pred súdom,
                            > bude Vaša výpoveď z prípravného konania prečítaná na súde,
                            > ak ste v pripravnom konani výslovne vyhlásili, že svojho práva
                            > odoprieť vypovedať nevyužívate.

                            The T has to stand for "trestny", but I don't know what the L stands
                            for.

                            Thanks very much.

                          • Josef Hlavac
                            Message 13 of 19 , Mar 30 9:20 AM
                              Looks like a typo. Perhaps it should have been "T. por." or "TR por." =
                              "trestneho poriadku"? The referenced article and paragraph support this
                              idea (cf. http://www.minv.sk/legislativa/TP301.htm )

                              Josef

                              Message 14 of 19 , Mar 30 9:25 AM
                                Thank you, guys. "Trestneho poriadku" makes sense.

                                Jamie

                                Message 15 of 19 , Mar 31 6:35 AM
                                  Can anyone help me with this Slovak abbreviation: pos^k.

                                  It appears after "Vec:" in a request for witness testimony on a case
                                  of credit fraud.

                                  Context:

                                  "Vec: pos^k. XYZ Banka a.s. - trestne konanie - podanie vysvetlenia"

                                  Thanks for any help.

                                  Message 16 of 19 , Mar 31 6:46 AM
                                    Poskodeny (the aggrieved party)

                                    hth
                                    Martin

                                    Message 17 of 19 , Mar 31 6:55 AM
                                      Thank you. I thought it was somehow related to damages.

                                      You saved my life.

                                      Jamie

                                      Message 18 of 19 , Apr 1, 2008
                                        Many thanks to Coilin for the insider info and ta very much (informal
                                        BrEng expression, possibly AusEng and IrEng as well) to Jarda, Jirka,
                                        Jamie, Jerry, Bedrich, Mihail and Alena for your help, ideas on the
                                        broader issue, words of encouragement etc. My question was
                                        specifically on usage in a radio context, but those querying the
                                        broader issues surrounding Dramaturg might be interested in this Leo
                                        forum thread:
                                        http://dict.leo.org/forum/viewUnsolvedquery.php?idThread=90080&idForum=1&lp=ende&lang=de
                                        Or tinied: http://tinyurl.com/2n7zkp

                                        Message 19 of 19 , Apr 1, 2008
                                          --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, "melvyn.geo" <zehrovak@...> wrote:

                                          > ta very much to Jarda, Jirka, Jamie, Jerry,

                                          Curses, I thought I had a run of J's there for a minute, Gerry.