Re: English names of a couple games

    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 4, 1994
      Thanks Melvyn and Michael T. for your replies on the two games.

      Just a remark: I'm getting these split personality syndroms from subscribing
      to Czechlist and CzechEd at a time. It seems to me, there are cross
      references in the postings. Well, nothing lethal, I suppose.

      Jirka Bolech
      Liberec, CR
      +420-48-6202703
      +420-604-822298 (cell phone)
    • Melvyn Clarke
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 3, 2000
        Hi Jirka,

        >I've been fruitlessly looking for the names of "vybijena" and "skakat
        >panaka". I'm afraid that the former is specifically Czech,

        I reckon that vybijena is closely related to "dodgeball", one of those games
        that have been played throughout Europe in more or less the same form since
        Roman times:

        The object is to throw the ball at the opposing team and contact one or more
        of the opponents. Any person contacted by a
        thrown ball on the fly is out of the game. The person throwing the ball is
        out if the ball is caught by an opposing player on the fly.

        About the same, yes?

        I don't think the Poldauf-Pynsent dictionary is very helpful on this one
        with its description of a "ball-game similar to pig-in-the-middle".

        >there's this jack on
        >the ground [drawn by chalk...] and you hop up and down it missing a field
        >each round after throwing a stone to it...):
        >
        > ( )
        > [ ][ ][ ]
        > [ ]
        > [ ]
        > [ ]

        Very nice:). I agree that this is hopscotch, commonly known here as nebe,
        peklo, raj.

        Melvyn
      • Michael Trittipo
        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 3, 2000
          At 14:52 1994/01/03 +0100, Jirka Bolech wrote:
          >I've been fruitlessly looking for the names of "vybijena"

          Seconding Melvyn re the likely usability of dodgeball. Whatever
          differences there might be in "received rules" locally would be, I imagine,
          relatively unimportant compared to the similarities. For assurance or
          comparison, I offer a couple of pages showing the English term's basic
          meaning & its breadth:

          http://www.gameskidsplay.net/games/ball_games/dodgeball.html
          and
          http://www.indiana.edu/~recsport/intramurals/dodgeball/rules.html

          > . . . and "skakat panaka" . . . hop up and down it missing a field
          >each round after throwing a stone to it...):

          Again seconding Melvyn, re hopscotch:
          http://www.how2hq.com/how2home/kids/games/hm09gm08/hm09gm0801.htm
          and
          http://www.streetplay.com/thegames/hopscotch.htm