Re: English names of a couple games

    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 4, 1994
      Thanks Melvyn and Michael T. for your replies on the two games.

      Just a remark: I'm getting these split personality syndroms from subscribing
      to Czechlist and CzechEd at a time. It seems to me, there are cross
      references in the postings. Well, nothing lethal, I suppose.

      Jirka Bolech
      Liberec, CR
      +420-48-6202703
      +420-604-822298 (cell phone)
    • PSS Praha - Coilin
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 3, 2000
        Dear Jirka,

        "skakat panaka" is "Hopscotch" in English but I'm afraid that although I
        remember playing something like "vybijena" when I was a nipper, I can't for
        the life of me remember what it was.

        HTH

        Coilin O' Connor
        -----P�vodn� zpr�va-----
        Od: Jirka Bolech <jirka.bolech@...>
        Komu: CzEnglish-L <CzEn@...>; CzechList <Czechlist@onelist.com>;
        CzechEd <CzechEd@onelist.com>
        Datum: 3. ledna 2000 14:57
        P�edm�t: [Czechlist] English names of a couple games

        >From: "Jirka Bolech" <jirka.bolech@...>
        >
        >Hello everyone,
        >
        >I've been fruitlessly looking for the names of "vybijena" and "skakat
        >panaka". I'm afraid that the former is specifically Czech, but the latter
        >should be a piece of cake for a native speaker of English once you know
        what
        >I'm talking about (I'm not very good at ASCII art, but there's this jack on
        >the ground [drawn by chalk...] and you hop up and down it missing a field
        >each round after throwing a stone to it...):
        >
        > ( )
        >[ ][ ][ ]
        > [ ]
        > [ ]
        > [ ]
        >
        >I've forgotten the rules of "vybijena" since it's normally only played by
        >school children and I'm quite elderly now
        >
        >:-)
        >
        >and I never really played it much anyway.
        >You basically play in two teams throwing a ball at each other trying to hit
        >the opponent teams' players.
        >
        >Thanks for your enlightening me on this.
        >
        >Jirka Bolech
        >Liberec, CR
        >
        >>Community email addresses:
        > Post message: Czechlist@onelist.com
        > Subscribe: Czechlist-subscribe@onelist.com
        >
        >Shortcut URL to this page:
        > http://www.onelist.com/community/Czechlist

      • Melvyn Clarke
        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 3, 2000
          Hi Jirka,

          >I've been fruitlessly looking for the names of "vybijena" and "skakat
          >panaka". I'm afraid that the former is specifically Czech,

          I reckon that vybijena is closely related to "dodgeball", one of those games
          that have been played throughout Europe in more or less the same form since
          Roman times:

          The object is to throw the ball at the opposing team and contact one or more
          of the opponents. Any person contacted by a
          thrown ball on the fly is out of the game. The person throwing the ball is
          out if the ball is caught by an opposing player on the fly.

          About the same, yes?

          I don't think the Poldauf-Pynsent dictionary is very helpful on this one
          with its description of a "ball-game similar to pig-in-the-middle".

          >there's this jack on
          >the ground [drawn by chalk...] and you hop up and down it missing a field
          >each round after throwing a stone to it...):
          >
          > ( )
          > [ ][ ][ ]
          > [ ]
          > [ ]
          > [ ]

          Very nice:). I agree that this is hopscotch, commonly known here as nebe,
          peklo, raj.

          Melvyn
        • Michael Trittipo
          Message 4 of 5 , Jan 3, 2000
            At 14:52 1994/01/03 +0100, Jirka Bolech wrote:
            >I've been fruitlessly looking for the names of "vybijena"

            Seconding Melvyn re the likely usability of dodgeball. Whatever
            differences there might be in "received rules" locally would be, I imagine,
            relatively unimportant compared to the similarities. For assurance or
            comparison, I offer a couple of pages showing the English term's basic
            meaning & its breadth:

            http://www.gameskidsplay.net/games/ball_games/dodgeball.html
            and
            http://www.indiana.edu/~recsport/intramurals/dodgeball/rules.html

            > . . . and "skakat panaka" . . . hop up and down it missing a field
            >each round after throwing a stone to it...):

            Again seconding Melvyn, re hopscotch:
            http://www.how2hq.com/how2home/kids/games/hm09gm08/hm09gm0801.htm
            and
            http://www.streetplay.com/thegames/hopscotch.htm