Creative (and rhyming if possible) translation: Brand or Bland?

    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 3, 2008
      Anyone feeling very creative tonight?

      A chapter heading in a book on marketing and branding that says "Brand or Bland" to go into CZ

      I'm toying with various things, but they're not good:

      1) Znac^ka nebo srac^ka (sorry for including the entire word, but wanted to make sure it's clear without punctuation), this one IS good, I think, but I'm affraid it could just about be used in speech and/or in an informal blog or something, but not in a book (which incidentally is very informal and fun to read despite the subject, presenting an obvious challenge in translation)... my favourite, but doubt the client will "zkousne" it

      2) Znacka, nebo nemastna neslana kase? (the concept is there, but it's weak and too long)

      3) Znacka nebo ma'c^ka (the second word is ma'c^ka, a moravism I suspect, comes from oma'c^ka, means someone weak or ridiculed), not sure if non-Moravian audiences would get it (Survey anyone from West of Vysocina?)

      4) Znacka nebo plac^ka (placka was a poor woman hired to cry at someone important's funeral) - this one is a bit desperate

      I need a rhyming dictionary of Czech, can anyone come up with a word ending in ..c^ka and meaning something not so good, something failed etc., you get the idea..

      Interested in your views on the above as well

      Thanks

      Matej

      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 3, 2008
        Znacka nebo prdlacka

        Jamie

        Message 3 of 7 , Mar 3, 2008
          Znacka - nebo bramboracka?

          Macku my tady ve Vrsovice neznat.

          M.

          Message 4 of 7 , Mar 3, 2008
            Hi Matej,

            > 3) Znacka nebo ma'c^ka (the second word is ma'c^ka, a moravism I suspect,
            comes from oma'c^ka, means someone weak or ridiculed), not sure if
            non-Moravian audiences would get it (Survey anyone from West of Vysocina?)

            Definitely no good here up in the north of Bohemia...

            Message 5 of 7 , Mar 3, 2008
              > > 3) Znacka nebo ma'c^ka (the second word is ma'c^ka, a moravism I
              suspect,
              > comes from oma'c^ka, means someone weak or ridiculed), not sure if
              > non-Moravian audiences would get it (Survey anyone from West of
              Vysocina?)

              > Definitely no good here up in the north of Bohemia...

              No good west of Bila Hora either, it seems. Though I'm told omacka
              sounds okay here.

              Znacka neznacka - tot oc tu bezi?
              Znacka neznacka - fadni nebo poradny?
              Znac^kovat nebo pofackovat??? Hey, I don't do perfect rhymes on Mondays.

              BRRRRR

              Message 6 of 7 , Mar 3, 2008
                THX to everyone!!!

                I like prdlacka and prdelacka best... avariation on the srac.. thing, but useable in print

                > > 3) Znacka nebo ma'c^ka (the second word is ma'c^ka, a moravism I
                suspect,
                > comes from oma'c^ka, means someone weak or ridiculed), not sure if
                > non-Moravian audiences would get it (Survey anyone from West of
                Vysocina?)

                > Definitely no good here up in the north of Bohemia...

                No good west of Bila Hora either, it seems. Though I'm told omacka
                sounds okay here.

                Znacka neznacka - tot oc tu bezi?
                Znacka neznacka - fadni nebo poradny?
                Znac^kovat nebo pofackovat??? Hey, I don't do perfect rhymes on Mondays.

                BRRRRR

              • tomas_barendregt
                Message 7 of 7 , Mar 3, 2008

                  > THX to everyone!!!
                  >
                  > I like prdlacka and prdelacka best... avariation on the srac..
                  thing, but useable in print

                  Znacka nebo fidlovacka? (AKA, Fidlovacka aneb zadny hnev a zadna znacka.)

                  Tom