Re: [Czechlist] tone-deaf

  • Jennifer Hejtmánková
    Message 1 of 19 , Mar 3, 2008
      That would be "crrrrrrrrrr" in Czech, Jamie :)

      Jennifer

      Message 2 of 19 , Mar 3, 2008
        If you're talking about the end-device that makes the sounds, I'd say it is zvonek up to shoebox size (regular shoes) or something slightly smaller, the things you sometimes see on roofs or in factories (i.e. washbasin-size "bell") would probably be called something else, no idea what now..

        Another distinction is the use, zvonek will be mostly household thing, possibly early industrial (i.e. some type of proto-telephone Xchange), but typically not a big industrial item..

        BTW if you had a bell shaped like a church bell rather than like an old alarm clock ringer (which is how a zvonek looks), you probably won't call it a zvonek. If memory serves well, civil defense alarm which involve bell sounds (nuclear attack?) are made using a piece of steel beam hung on a wire or chain, RAF scrambleeee! type thing

        A bit of a daft answer, I know, but try asking a better question

        Matej

        Message 3 of 19 , Mar 3, 2008
          That's right. I didn't want to write "rrrrrrrrrrrrrrring", but I got
          it wrong. :-)

          Message 4 of 19 , Mar 3, 2008
            On Mar 3, 2008, at 11:35 AM, Matej Klimes wrote:

            > A bit of a daft answer, I know, but try asking a better question

            That's the kind of answer I wanted.

            I've seen some things called "zvonky" that were too big to be
            considered diminutive in English. That's what made me wonder.

            Thanks very much.

          • kzgafas
            Message 5 of 19 , Mar 3, 2008
              No googlil jsem hodne, skutecne micropig existuje, zda se, ze je to
              jeste mensi nez minipig, tak se mi zda legitimni prelozit to jako
              mikroprase.

              Diky,

              K.

              --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, Martin Janda <mjanda@...> wrote:

              > Miniprase indeed exists - that's what we used when I worked in the
              Czech

            • libore@volny.cz
              Message 6 of 19 , Mar 3, 2008
                Hi,
                I would say brrrrrrr-type is bzučák, although it makes bzzzzzzzzzzzz
                sometimes as well.
                My idea of crrrrrrrr-type is old-fashioned hammering metall alarm clock.
                But bzučák was originally metall device too, now its mostly generated
                eletronically and the brrrrrr sound is not very popular.

                > Thanks to everyone who gave me all the tips on "tone-deaf".
                > Now I've
                > got another question:
                >
                > Is a "brrrrrrrrr" type of bell to alarm people to things
                > always a
                > "zvonek" no matter how big it is?
                >
                > Jamie
                >
                > On Mar 3, 2008, at 11:05 AM, Jirka Bolech wrote:
                >
                > > Hi Jamie,
                > >
                > > I feel that "nebyt naladen na" or perhaps even "nerezonovat
                > > s" might
                > > > work
                > > for this metaphoric use of 'tine-deaf' in some contexts
                > > too...
                > > >
                > > Jirka Bolech

                Moje fotky:
                http://picasaweb.google.com/libore
                Me anglicke cislo / My British Phone Number: 07717138099
                Filmy "L´uomo sandaluto", "2. příchod J. Wericha" a "Co jsme viděli
                na Ukrajině" nyní k vidění přímo na internetu:
                http://www.tv-mis.cz
                Více o filmech: http://www.liborzajicek.wz.cz
                Message 7 of 19 , Mar 3, 2008
                  Hi,

                  To me "brrrrrr" in Czech is mainly an interjection of displeasure, most
                  often from sensation of cold...

                  Message 8 of 19 , Mar 3, 2008
                    On Mar 3, 2008, at 12:35 PM, Jirka Bolech wrote:

                    > To me "brrrrrr" in Czech is mainly an interjection of displeasure,
                    > most
                    > often from sensation of cold...

                    The same in English. I was thinking "crrrrrrr", but I forgot about
                    the C and wrote a B.

                    JK

                  • libore@volny.cz
                    Message 9 of 19 , Mar 3, 2008
                      Well, I may be influenced by brnkat, brnčet, drnčet.