Re: [Czechlist] tone-deaf

    Message 1 of 19 , Mar 3, 2008
      Thanks to everyone who gave me all the tips on "tone-deaf". Now I've
      got another question:

      Is a "brrrrrrrrr" type of bell to alarm people to things always a
      "zvonek" no matter how big it is?

      Jamie

      On Mar 3, 2008, at 11:05 AM, Jirka Bolech wrote:

      > Hi Jamie,
      >
      > I feel that "nebyt naladen na" or perhaps even "nerezonovat s" might
      > work
      > for this metaphoric use of 'tine-deaf' in some contexts too...
      >
      > Jirka Bolech

    • Jennifer Hejtmánková
      Message 2 of 19 , Mar 3, 2008
        That would be "crrrrrrrrrr" in Czech, Jamie :)

        Jennifer

        Message 3 of 19 , Mar 3, 2008
          If you're talking about the end-device that makes the sounds, I'd say it is zvonek up to shoebox size (regular shoes) or something slightly smaller, the things you sometimes see on roofs or in factories (i.e. washbasin-size "bell") would probably be called something else, no idea what now..

          Another distinction is the use, zvonek will be mostly household thing, possibly early industrial (i.e. some type of proto-telephone Xchange), but typically not a big industrial item..

          BTW if you had a bell shaped like a church bell rather than like an old alarm clock ringer (which is how a zvonek looks), you probably won't call it a zvonek. If memory serves well, civil defense alarm which involve bell sounds (nuclear attack?) are made using a piece of steel beam hung on a wire or chain, RAF scrambleeee! type thing

          A bit of a daft answer, I know, but try asking a better question

          Matej

          Message 4 of 19 , Mar 3, 2008
            That's right. I didn't want to write "rrrrrrrrrrrrrrring", but I got
            it wrong. :-)

            Message 5 of 19 , Mar 3, 2008
              On Mar 3, 2008, at 11:35 AM, Matej Klimes wrote:

              > A bit of a daft answer, I know, but try asking a better question

              That's the kind of answer I wanted.

              I've seen some things called "zvonky" that were too big to be
              considered diminutive in English. That's what made me wonder.

              Thanks very much.

            • kzgafas
              Message 6 of 19 , Mar 3, 2008
                No googlil jsem hodne, skutecne micropig existuje, zda se, ze je to
                jeste mensi nez minipig, tak se mi zda legitimni prelozit to jako
                mikroprase.

                Diky,

                K.

                --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, Martin Janda <mjanda@...> wrote:

                > Miniprase indeed exists - that's what we used when I worked in the
                Czech

              • libore@volny.cz
                Message 7 of 19 , Mar 3, 2008
                  Hi,
                  I would say brrrrrrr-type is bzučák, although it makes bzzzzzzzzzzzz
                  sometimes as well.
                  My idea of crrrrrrrr-type is old-fashioned hammering metall alarm clock.
                  But bzučák was originally metall device too, now its mostly generated
                  eletronically and the brrrrrr sound is not very popular.

                  > Thanks to everyone who gave me all the tips on "tone-deaf".
                  > Now I've
                  > got another question:
                  >
                  > Is a "brrrrrrrrr" type of bell to alarm people to things
                  > always a
                  > "zvonek" no matter how big it is?
                  >
                  > Jamie
                  >
                  > On Mar 3, 2008, at 11:05 AM, Jirka Bolech wrote:
                  >
                  > > Hi Jamie,
                  > >
                  > > I feel that "nebyt naladen na" or perhaps even "nerezonovat
                  > > s" might
                  > > > work
                  > > for this metaphoric use of 'tine-deaf' in some contexts
                  > > too...
                  > > >
                  > > Jirka Bolech

                  Moje fotky:
                  http://picasaweb.google.com/libore
                  Me anglicke cislo / My British Phone Number: 07717138099
                  Filmy "L´uomo sandaluto", "2. příchod J. Wericha" a "Co jsme viděli
                  na Ukrajině" nyní k vidění přímo na internetu:
                  http://www.tv-mis.cz
                  Více o filmech: http://www.liborzajicek.wz.cz
                  Message 8 of 19 , Mar 3, 2008
                    Hi,

                    To me "brrrrrr" in Czech is mainly an interjection of displeasure, most
                    often from sensation of cold...

                    Message 9 of 19 , Mar 3, 2008
                      On Mar 3, 2008, at 12:35 PM, Jirka Bolech wrote:

                      > To me "brrrrrr" in Czech is mainly an interjection of displeasure,
                      > most
                      > often from sensation of cold...

                      The same in English. I was thinking "crrrrrrr", but I forgot about
                      the C and wrote a B.

                      JK

                    • libore@volny.cz
                      Message 10 of 19 , Mar 3, 2008
                        Well, I may be influenced by brnkat, brnčet, drnčet.