Re: Re:[Czechlist] tone-deaf

  • Jan Culka
    Message 1 of 19 , Mar 3, 2008
      Sorry, I did not read carefully enough.
      Maybe she is totally "mimoň", "vedle", nebo jak píše Alena - "nemá cit"
      Honza

      Message 2 of 19 , Mar 3, 2008
        být necitlivý, chovat se necitlivě, nerozlišovat nuance, chova se
        jak slon v porcelánu

        > "nemá hudební sluch" - that is probably the only
        > variant how to say this.
        > Honza

        Moje fotky:
        http://picasaweb.google.com/libore
        Me anglicke cislo / My British Phone Number: 07717138099
        Filmy "L´uomo sandaluto", "2. příchod J. Wericha" a "Co jsme viděli
        na Ukrajině" nyní k vidění přímo na internetu:
        http://www.tv-mis.cz
        Více o filmech: http://www.liborzajicek.wz.cz
        Message 3 of 19 , Mar 3, 2008
          Hi Jamie,

          I feel that "nebyt naladen na" or perhaps even "nerezonovat s" might work
          for this metaphoric use of 'tine-deaf' in some contexts too...

          Message 4 of 19 , Mar 3, 2008
            Thanks to everyone who gave me all the tips on "tone-deaf". Now I've
            got another question:

            Is a "brrrrrrrrr" type of bell to alarm people to things always a
            "zvonek" no matter how big it is?

            Jamie

            On Mar 3, 2008, at 11:05 AM, Jirka Bolech wrote:

            > Hi Jamie,
            >
            > I feel that "nebyt naladen na" or perhaps even "nerezonovat s" might
            > work
            > for this metaphoric use of 'tine-deaf' in some contexts too...
            >
            > Jirka Bolech

          • Jennifer Hejtmánková
            Message 5 of 19 , Mar 3, 2008
              That would be "crrrrrrrrrr" in Czech, Jamie :)

              Jennifer

              Message 6 of 19 , Mar 3, 2008
                If you're talking about the end-device that makes the sounds, I'd say it is zvonek up to shoebox size (regular shoes) or something slightly smaller, the things you sometimes see on roofs or in factories (i.e. washbasin-size "bell") would probably be called something else, no idea what now..

                Another distinction is the use, zvonek will be mostly household thing, possibly early industrial (i.e. some type of proto-telephone Xchange), but typically not a big industrial item..

                BTW if you had a bell shaped like a church bell rather than like an old alarm clock ringer (which is how a zvonek looks), you probably won't call it a zvonek. If memory serves well, civil defense alarm which involve bell sounds (nuclear attack?) are made using a piece of steel beam hung on a wire or chain, RAF scrambleeee! type thing

                A bit of a daft answer, I know, but try asking a better question

                Matej

                Message 7 of 19 , Mar 3, 2008
                  That's right. I didn't want to write "rrrrrrrrrrrrrrring", but I got
                  it wrong. :-)

                  Message 8 of 19 , Mar 3, 2008
                    On Mar 3, 2008, at 11:35 AM, Matej Klimes wrote:

                    > A bit of a daft answer, I know, but try asking a better question

                    That's the kind of answer I wanted.

                    I've seen some things called "zvonky" that were too big to be
                    considered diminutive in English. That's what made me wonder.

                    Thanks very much.

                  • kzgafas
                    Message 9 of 19 , Mar 3, 2008
                      No googlil jsem hodne, skutecne micropig existuje, zda se, ze je to
                      jeste mensi nez minipig, tak se mi zda legitimni prelozit to jako
                      mikroprase.

                      Diky,

                      K.

                      --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, Martin Janda <mjanda@...> wrote:

                      > Miniprase indeed exists - that's what we used when I worked in the
                      Czech

                    • libore@volny.cz
                      Message 10 of 19 , Mar 3, 2008
                        Hi,
                        I would say brrrrrrr-type is bzučák, although it makes bzzzzzzzzzzzz
                        sometimes as well.
                        My idea of crrrrrrrr-type is old-fashioned hammering metall alarm clock.
                        But bzučák was originally metall device too, now its mostly generated
                        eletronically and the brrrrrr sound is not very popular.

                        Message 11 of 19 , Mar 3, 2008
                          Hi,

                          To me "brrrrrr" in Czech is mainly an interjection of displeasure, most
                          often from sensation of cold...

                          Message 12 of 19 , Mar 3, 2008
                            On Mar 3, 2008, at 12:35 PM, Jirka Bolech wrote:

                            > To me "brrrrrr" in Czech is mainly an interjection of displeasure,
                            > most
                            > often from sensation of cold...

                            The same in English. I was thinking "crrrrrrr", but I forgot about
                            the C and wrote a B.

                            JK

                          • libore@volny.cz
                            Message 13 of 19 , Mar 3, 2008
                              Well, I may be influenced by brnkat, brnčet, drnčet.