Re:[Czechlist] tone-deaf

  • daniela.vranova
    Message 1 of 19 , Mar 3, 2008
      hallo,

      I suppose "hluchy jako poleno" or "sedet si na usich" do not suit your context since those relate to music.
      talking about metaphore, I would use e.g. "mimo" or "mimo misu"

      daniela
      > Od: James Kirchner <jpklists@...>
      > Předmět: [Czechlist] tone-deaf
      > Datum: 03.3.2008 14:57:47
      > What term do Czechs use for someone who is "tone-deaf" but not about
      > music.
      >
      > In its original usage, "tone-deaf" means that a person can't hear
      > musical tones well enough to sing.
      >
      > We use the term all the time metaphorically, and can say that someone
      > is tone-deaf about romance or office politics, or in a recent case I
      > witnessed, an Eastern European woman was culturally tone-deaf and gave
      > a long flowery speech at a meeting when she should have gone right
      > into her report.
      >
      > Any suggestions?
      >
      > Jamie

    • Alena Rysková 2e
      Message 2 of 19 , Mar 3, 2008
        In original sense I would say "nemit hudebni sluch" nebo lidove "mit hudebni hluch" :)
        Otherwise I would suggest something with CIT, like nemit cit pro situaci etc.
        Alena

        Message 3 of 19 , Mar 3, 2008
          Sorry, I did not read carefully enough.
          Maybe she is totally "mimoň", "vedle", nebo jak píše Alena - "nemá cit"
          Honza

          I suppose "hluchy jako poleno" or "sedet si na usich" do not suit your
          context since those relate to music.
          talking about metaphore, I would use e.g. "mimo" or "mimo misu"

          daniela
          > Od: James Kirchner <jpklists@...>
          > Předmět: [Czechlist] tone-deaf
          > Datum: 03.3.2008 14:57:47
          > What term do Czechs use for someone who is "tone-deaf" but not about
          > music.
          >
          > In its original usage, "tone-deaf" means that a person can't hear
          > musical tones well enough to sing.
          >
          > We use the term all the time metaphorically, and can say that someone
          > is tone-deaf about romance or office politics, or in a recent case I
          > witnessed, an Eastern European woman was culturally tone-deaf and gave
          > a long flowery speech at a meeting when she should have gone right
          > into her report.
          >
          > Any suggestions?
          >
          > Jamie

          Translators' tricks of the trade:
          http://czeng.wetpaint.com/

          Yahoo! Groups Links
        • libore@volny.cz
          Message 4 of 19 , Mar 3, 2008
            být necitlivý, chovat se necitlivě, nerozlišovat nuance, chova se
            jak slon v porcelánu

            > "nemá hudební sluch" - that is probably the only
            > variant how to say this.
            > Honza

            Moje fotky:
            http://picasaweb.google.com/libore
            Me anglicke cislo / My British Phone Number: 07717138099
            Filmy "L´uomo sandaluto", "2. příchod J. Wericha" a "Co jsme viděli
            na Ukrajině" nyní k vidění přímo na internetu:
            http://www.tv-mis.cz
            Více o filmech: http://www.liborzajicek.wz.cz
            Message 5 of 19 , Mar 3, 2008
              Hi Jamie,

              I feel that "nebyt naladen na" or perhaps even "nerezonovat s" might work
              for this metaphoric use of 'tine-deaf' in some contexts too...

              Message 6 of 19 , Mar 3, 2008
                Thanks to everyone who gave me all the tips on "tone-deaf". Now I've
                got another question:

                Is a "brrrrrrrrr" type of bell to alarm people to things always a
                "zvonek" no matter how big it is?

                Jamie

                On Mar 3, 2008, at 11:05 AM, Jirka Bolech wrote:

                > Hi Jamie,
                >
                > I feel that "nebyt naladen na" or perhaps even "nerezonovat s" might
                > work
                > for this metaphoric use of 'tine-deaf' in some contexts too...
                >
                > Jirka Bolech

              • Jennifer Hejtmánková
                Message 7 of 19 , Mar 3, 2008
                  That would be "crrrrrrrrrr" in Czech, Jamie :)

                  Jennifer

                  Message 8 of 19 , Mar 3, 2008
                    If you're talking about the end-device that makes the sounds, I'd say it is zvonek up to shoebox size (regular shoes) or something slightly smaller, the things you sometimes see on roofs or in factories (i.e. washbasin-size "bell") would probably be called something else, no idea what now..

                    Another distinction is the use, zvonek will be mostly household thing, possibly early industrial (i.e. some type of proto-telephone Xchange), but typically not a big industrial item..

                    BTW if you had a bell shaped like a church bell rather than like an old alarm clock ringer (which is how a zvonek looks), you probably won't call it a zvonek. If memory serves well, civil defense alarm which involve bell sounds (nuclear attack?) are made using a piece of steel beam hung on a wire or chain, RAF scrambleeee! type thing

                    A bit of a daft answer, I know, but try asking a better question

                    Matej

                    Message 9 of 19 , Mar 3, 2008
                      That's right. I didn't want to write "rrrrrrrrrrrrrrring", but I got
                      it wrong. :-)

                      Message 10 of 19 , Mar 3, 2008
                        On Mar 3, 2008, at 11:35 AM, Matej Klimes wrote:

                        > A bit of a daft answer, I know, but try asking a better question

                        That's the kind of answer I wanted.

                        I've seen some things called "zvonky" that were too big to be
                        considered diminutive in English. That's what made me wonder.

                        Thanks very much.

                      • kzgafas
                        Message 11 of 19 , Mar 3, 2008
                          No googlil jsem hodne, skutecne micropig existuje, zda se, ze je to
                          jeste mensi nez minipig, tak se mi zda legitimni prelozit to jako
                          mikroprase.

                          Diky,

                          K.

                          --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, Martin Janda <mjanda@...> wrote:

                          > Miniprase indeed exists - that's what we used when I worked in the
                          Czech

                        • libore@volny.cz
                          Message 12 of 19 , Mar 3, 2008
                            Hi,
                            I would say brrrrrrr-type is bzučák, although it makes bzzzzzzzzzzzz
                            sometimes as well.
                            My idea of crrrrrrrr-type is old-fashioned hammering metall alarm clock.
                            But bzučák was originally metall device too, now its mostly generated
                            eletronically and the brrrrrr sound is not very popular.

                            Message 13 of 19 , Mar 3, 2008
                              Hi,

                              To me "brrrrrr" in Czech is mainly an interjection of displeasure, most
                              often from sensation of cold...

                              Message 14 of 19 , Mar 3, 2008
                                On Mar 3, 2008, at 12:35 PM, Jirka Bolech wrote:

                                > To me "brrrrrr" in Czech is mainly an interjection of displeasure,
                                > most
                                > often from sensation of cold...

                                The same in English. I was thinking "crrrrrrr", but I forgot about
                                the C and wrote a B.

                                JK

                              • libore@volny.cz
                                Message 15 of 19 , Mar 3, 2008
                                  Well, I may be influenced by brnkat, brnčet, drnčet.