tone-deaf

    Message 1 of 19 , Mar 3, 2008
      What term do Czechs use for someone who is "tone-deaf" but not about
      music.

      In its original usage, "tone-deaf" means that a person can't hear
      musical tones well enough to sing.

      We use the term all the time metaphorically, and can say that someone
      is tone-deaf about romance or office politics, or in a recent case I
      witnessed, an Eastern European woman was culturally tone-deaf and gave
      a long flowery speech at a meeting when she should have gone right
      into her report.

      Any suggestions?

      Jamie
    • Jan Culka
      Message 2 of 19 , Mar 3, 2008
        "nemá hudební sluch" - that is probably the only variant how to say this.
        Honza

        Message 3 of 19 , Mar 3, 2008
          hallo,

          I suppose "hluchy jako poleno" or "sedet si na usich" do not suit your context since those relate to music.
          talking about metaphore, I would use e.g. "mimo" or "mimo misu"

          daniela
          > Od: James Kirchner <jpklists@...>
          > Předmět: [Czechlist] tone-deaf
          > Datum: 03.3.2008 14:57:47
          > What term do Czechs use for someone who is "tone-deaf" but not about
          > music.
          >
          > In its original usage, "tone-deaf" means that a person can't hear
          > musical tones well enough to sing.
          >
          > We use the term all the time metaphorically, and can say that someone
          > is tone-deaf about romance or office politics, or in a recent case I
          > witnessed, an Eastern European woman was culturally tone-deaf and gave
          > a long flowery speech at a meeting when she should have gone right
          > into her report.
          >
          > Any suggestions?
          >
          > Jamie

        • Alena Rysková 2e
          Message 4 of 19 , Mar 3, 2008
            In original sense I would say "nemit hudebni sluch" nebo lidove "mit hudebni hluch" :)
            Otherwise I would suggest something with CIT, like nemit cit pro situaci etc.
            Alena

            Message 5 of 19 , Mar 3, 2008
              Sorry, I did not read carefully enough.
              Maybe she is totally "mimoň", "vedle", nebo jak píše Alena - "nemá cit"
              Honza

              I suppose "hluchy jako poleno" or "sedet si na usich" do not suit your
              context since those relate to music.
              talking about metaphore, I would use e.g. "mimo" or "mimo misu"

              daniela
              > Od: James Kirchner <jpklists@...>
              > Předmět: [Czechlist] tone-deaf
              > Datum: 03.3.2008 14:57:47
              > What term do Czechs use for someone who is "tone-deaf" but not about
              > music.
              >
              > In its original usage, "tone-deaf" means that a person can't hear
              > musical tones well enough to sing.
              >
              > We use the term all the time metaphorically, and can say that someone
              > is tone-deaf about romance or office politics, or in a recent case I
              > witnessed, an Eastern European woman was culturally tone-deaf and gave
              > a long flowery speech at a meeting when she should have gone right
              > into her report.
              >
              > Any suggestions?
              >
              > Jamie

              Translators' tricks of the trade:
              http://czeng.wetpaint.com/

              Yahoo! Groups Links
            • libore@volny.cz
              Message 6 of 19 , Mar 3, 2008
                být necitlivý, chovat se necitlivě, nerozlišovat nuance, chova se
                jak slon v porcelánu

                > "nemá hudební sluch" - that is probably the only
                > variant how to say this.
                > Honza

                Moje fotky:
                http://picasaweb.google.com/libore
                Me anglicke cislo / My British Phone Number: 07717138099
                Filmy "L´uomo sandaluto", "2. příchod J. Wericha" a "Co jsme viděli
                na Ukrajině" nyní k vidění přímo na internetu:
                http://www.tv-mis.cz
                Více o filmech: http://www.liborzajicek.wz.cz
                Message 7 of 19 , Mar 3, 2008
                  Hi Jamie,

                  I feel that "nebyt naladen na" or perhaps even "nerezonovat s" might work
                  for this metaphoric use of 'tine-deaf' in some contexts too...

                  Message 8 of 19 , Mar 3, 2008
                    Thanks to everyone who gave me all the tips on "tone-deaf". Now I've
                    got another question:

                    Is a "brrrrrrrrr" type of bell to alarm people to things always a
                    "zvonek" no matter how big it is?

                    Jamie

                    On Mar 3, 2008, at 11:05 AM, Jirka Bolech wrote:

                    > Hi Jamie,
                    >
                    > I feel that "nebyt naladen na" or perhaps even "nerezonovat s" might
                    > work
                    > for this metaphoric use of 'tine-deaf' in some contexts too...
                    >
                    > Jirka Bolech

                  • Jennifer Hejtmánková
                    Message 9 of 19 , Mar 3, 2008
                      That would be "crrrrrrrrrr" in Czech, Jamie :)

                      Jennifer

                      Message 10 of 19 , Mar 3, 2008
                        If you're talking about the end-device that makes the sounds, I'd say it is zvonek up to shoebox size (regular shoes) or something slightly smaller, the things you sometimes see on roofs or in factories (i.e. washbasin-size "bell") would probably be called something else, no idea what now..

                        Another distinction is the use, zvonek will be mostly household thing, possibly early industrial (i.e. some type of proto-telephone Xchange), but typically not a big industrial item..

                        BTW if you had a bell shaped like a church bell rather than like an old alarm clock ringer (which is how a zvonek looks), you probably won't call it a zvonek. If memory serves well, civil defense alarm which involve bell sounds (nuclear attack?) are made using a piece of steel beam hung on a wire or chain, RAF scrambleeee! type thing

                        A bit of a daft answer, I know, but try asking a better question

                        Matej

                        Message 11 of 19 , Mar 3, 2008
                          That's right. I didn't want to write "rrrrrrrrrrrrrrring", but I got
                          it wrong. :-)

                          Message 12 of 19 , Mar 3, 2008
                            On Mar 3, 2008, at 11:35 AM, Matej Klimes wrote:

                            > A bit of a daft answer, I know, but try asking a better question

                            That's the kind of answer I wanted.

                            I've seen some things called "zvonky" that were too big to be
                            considered diminutive in English. That's what made me wonder.

                            Thanks very much.

                          • kzgafas
                            Message 13 of 19 , Mar 3, 2008
                              No googlil jsem hodne, skutecne micropig existuje, zda se, ze je to
                              jeste mensi nez minipig, tak se mi zda legitimni prelozit to jako
                              mikroprase.

                              Diky,

                              K.

                              --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, Martin Janda <mjanda@...> wrote:

                              > Miniprase indeed exists - that's what we used when I worked in the
                              Czech

                            • libore@volny.cz
                              Message 14 of 19 , Mar 3, 2008
                                Hi,
                                I would say brrrrrrr-type is bzučák, although it makes bzzzzzzzzzzzz
                                sometimes as well.
                                My idea of crrrrrrrr-type is old-fashioned hammering metall alarm clock.
                                But bzučák was originally metall device too, now its mostly generated
                                eletronically and the brrrrrr sound is not very popular.

                                Message 15 of 19 , Mar 3, 2008
                                  Hi,

                                  To me "brrrrrr" in Czech is mainly an interjection of displeasure, most
                                  often from sensation of cold...

                                  Message 16 of 19 , Mar 3, 2008
                                    On Mar 3, 2008, at 12:35 PM, Jirka Bolech wrote:

                                    > To me "brrrrrr" in Czech is mainly an interjection of displeasure,
                                    > most
                                    > often from sensation of cold...

                                    The same in English. I was thinking "crrrrrrr", but I forgot about
                                    the C and wrote a B.

                                    JK

                                  • libore@volny.cz
                                    Message 17 of 19 , Mar 3, 2008
                                      Well, I may be influenced by brnkat, brnčet, drnčet.