TERM: micropig and minipig

  • kzgafas
    Message 1 of 19 , Mar 2, 2008
      Do you know these animals in Czech? Googling for their images, they
      indeed look like small pigs - are used for clinical studies (poor pigs).

      Thank you,

      K.
      Message 2 of 19 , Mar 2, 2008
        Miniprase indeed exists - that's what we used when I worked in the Czech
        Academy of Science years ago. Never heard about any mikroprase though.

        hth
        Martin

        Message 3 of 19 , Mar 3, 2008
          What term do Czechs use for someone who is "tone-deaf" but not about
          music.

          In its original usage, "tone-deaf" means that a person can't hear
          musical tones well enough to sing.

          We use the term all the time metaphorically, and can say that someone
          is tone-deaf about romance or office politics, or in a recent case I
          witnessed, an Eastern European woman was culturally tone-deaf and gave
          a long flowery speech at a meeting when she should have gone right
          into her report.

          Any suggestions?

          Jamie
        • Jan Culka
          Message 4 of 19 , Mar 3, 2008
            "nemá hudební sluch" - that is probably the only variant how to say this.
            Honza

            Message 5 of 19 , Mar 3, 2008
              hallo,

              I suppose "hluchy jako poleno" or "sedet si na usich" do not suit your context since those relate to music.
              talking about metaphore, I would use e.g. "mimo" or "mimo misu"

              daniela
              > Od: James Kirchner <jpklists@...>
              > Předmět: [Czechlist] tone-deaf
              > Datum: 03.3.2008 14:57:47
              > What term do Czechs use for someone who is "tone-deaf" but not about
              > music.
              >
              > In its original usage, "tone-deaf" means that a person can't hear
              > musical tones well enough to sing.
              >
              > We use the term all the time metaphorically, and can say that someone
              > is tone-deaf about romance or office politics, or in a recent case I
              > witnessed, an Eastern European woman was culturally tone-deaf and gave
              > a long flowery speech at a meeting when she should have gone right
              > into her report.
              >
              > Any suggestions?
              >
              > Jamie

            • Alena Rysková 2e
              Message 6 of 19 , Mar 3, 2008
                In original sense I would say "nemit hudebni sluch" nebo lidove "mit hudebni hluch" :)
                Otherwise I would suggest something with CIT, like nemit cit pro situaci etc.
                Alena

                Message 7 of 19 , Mar 3, 2008
                  Sorry, I did not read carefully enough.
                  Maybe she is totally "mimoň", "vedle", nebo jak píše Alena - "nemá cit"
                  Honza

                  I suppose "hluchy jako poleno" or "sedet si na usich" do not suit your
                  context since those relate to music.
                  talking about metaphore, I would use e.g. "mimo" or "mimo misu"

                  daniela
                  > Od: James Kirchner <jpklists@...>
                  > Předmět: [Czechlist] tone-deaf
                  > Datum: 03.3.2008 14:57:47
                  > What term do Czechs use for someone who is "tone-deaf" but not about
                  > music.
                  >
                  > In its original usage, "tone-deaf" means that a person can't hear
                  > musical tones well enough to sing.
                  >
                  > We use the term all the time metaphorically, and can say that someone
                  > is tone-deaf about romance or office politics, or in a recent case I
                  > witnessed, an Eastern European woman was culturally tone-deaf and gave
                  > a long flowery speech at a meeting when she should have gone right
                  > into her report.
                  >
                  > Any suggestions?
                  >
                  > Jamie

                  Translators' tricks of the trade:
                  http://czeng.wetpaint.com/

                  Yahoo! Groups Links
                • libore@volny.cz
                  Message 8 of 19 , Mar 3, 2008
                    být necitlivý, chovat se necitlivě, nerozlišovat nuance, chova se
                    jak slon v porcelánu

                    > "nemá hudební sluch" - that is probably the only
                    > variant how to say this.
                    > Honza

                    Moje fotky:
                    http://picasaweb.google.com/libore
                    Me anglicke cislo / My British Phone Number: 07717138099
                    Filmy "L´uomo sandaluto", "2. příchod J. Wericha" a "Co jsme viděli
                    na Ukrajině" nyní k vidění přímo na internetu:
                    http://www.tv-mis.cz
                    Více o filmech: http://www.liborzajicek.wz.cz
                    Message 9 of 19 , Mar 3, 2008
                      Hi Jamie,

                      I feel that "nebyt naladen na" or perhaps even "nerezonovat s" might work
                      for this metaphoric use of 'tine-deaf' in some contexts too...

                      Message 10 of 19 , Mar 3, 2008
                        Thanks to everyone who gave me all the tips on "tone-deaf". Now I've
                        got another question:

                        Is a "brrrrrrrrr" type of bell to alarm people to things always a
                        "zvonek" no matter how big it is?

                        Jamie

                        On Mar 3, 2008, at 11:05 AM, Jirka Bolech wrote:

                        > Hi Jamie,
                        >
                        > I feel that "nebyt naladen na" or perhaps even "nerezonovat s" might
                        > work
                        > for this metaphoric use of 'tine-deaf' in some contexts too...
                        >
                        > Jirka Bolech

                      • Jennifer Hejtmánková
                        Message 11 of 19 , Mar 3, 2008
                          That would be "crrrrrrrrrr" in Czech, Jamie :)

                          Jennifer

                          Message 12 of 19 , Mar 3, 2008
                            If you're talking about the end-device that makes the sounds, I'd say it is zvonek up to shoebox size (regular shoes) or something slightly smaller, the things you sometimes see on roofs or in factories (i.e. washbasin-size "bell") would probably be called something else, no idea what now..

                            Another distinction is the use, zvonek will be mostly household thing, possibly early industrial (i.e. some type of proto-telephone Xchange), but typically not a big industrial item..

                            BTW if you had a bell shaped like a church bell rather than like an old alarm clock ringer (which is how a zvonek looks), you probably won't call it a zvonek. If memory serves well, civil defense alarm which involve bell sounds (nuclear attack?) are made using a piece of steel beam hung on a wire or chain, RAF scrambleeee! type thing

                            A bit of a daft answer, I know, but try asking a better question

                            Matej

                            Message 13 of 19 , Mar 3, 2008
                              That's right. I didn't want to write "rrrrrrrrrrrrrrring", but I got
                              it wrong. :-)

                              Message 14 of 19 , Mar 3, 2008
                                On Mar 3, 2008, at 11:35 AM, Matej Klimes wrote:

                                > A bit of a daft answer, I know, but try asking a better question

                                That's the kind of answer I wanted.

                                I've seen some things called "zvonky" that were too big to be
                                considered diminutive in English. That's what made me wonder.

                                Thanks very much.

                              • kzgafas
                                Message 15 of 19 , Mar 3, 2008
                                  No googlil jsem hodne, skutecne micropig existuje, zda se, ze je to
                                  jeste mensi nez minipig, tak se mi zda legitimni prelozit to jako
                                  mikroprase.

                                  Diky,

                                  K.

                                • libore@volny.cz
                                  Message 16 of 19 , Mar 3, 2008
                                    Hi,
                                    I would say brrrrrrr-type is bzučák, although it makes bzzzzzzzzzzzz
                                    sometimes as well.
                                    My idea of crrrrrrrr-type is old-fashioned hammering metall alarm clock.
                                    But bzučák was originally metall device too, now its mostly generated
                                    eletronically and the brrrrrr sound is not very popular.

                                    Message 17 of 19 , Mar 3, 2008
                                      Hi,

                                      To me "brrrrrr" in Czech is mainly an interjection of displeasure, most
                                      often from sensation of cold...

                                      Message 18 of 19 , Mar 3, 2008
                                        On Mar 3, 2008, at 12:35 PM, Jirka Bolech wrote:

                                        > To me "brrrrrr" in Czech is mainly an interjection of displeasure,
                                        > most
                                        > often from sensation of cold...

                                        The same in English. I was thinking "crrrrrrr", but I forgot about
                                        the C and wrote a B.

                                        JK

                                      • libore@volny.cz
                                        Message 19 of 19 , Mar 3, 2008
                                          Well, I may be influenced by brnkat, brnčet, drnčet.