Re: [Czechlist] firemni moto

  • bednarski@centrum.cz
    Message 1 of 17 , Feb 1, 2008
      I doubt this has anything to do with cars or motorcycles - it looks like (literally) "in the company motto", and I suspect they are talking about something like company mission or vision.

      > Od: jpklists@...
      > Komu: Czechlist@yahoogroups.com
      > Datum: 02.02.2008 00:37
      > Předmět: [Czechlist] firemni moto
      >
      >"ve firemnim motu"
      >
      >This can't possibly mean a company motorcycle, right?
      >
      >It has to be a company car.
      >
      >Yes or no?
      >
      >Thank you.
      >
      >Jamie

    • Gmail
      Message 2 of 17 , Feb 1, 2008
        I think it is a "motto".

        Zuzana

        Message 3 of 17 , Feb 1, 2008
          Hi Jamie,

          It means: it is exactly what I was looking for (and maybe it has taken me so much time to find it), it is exactly correct, it is just what I needed, that's the ticket, that's the stuff.

          Zuzana

          Message 4 of 17 , Feb 1, 2008
            Thank you for both of these, Zuzana.

            Jamie

            Message 5 of 17 , Feb 1, 2008
              I'm doing a job for a translation agency that sent me an Excel file
              (much better than the last one) and said there were approximately X,
              000 target-language words in it.

              Well, as I work on the thing, every time I fill in a translation unit
              and confirm, one or two units down the road get filled up. There is
              repetition on every worksheet in the file, so my work is really about
              half of what it would be without all that repetition.

              Assuming the agency says nothing about that, how would you guys
              suggest I bill? Should I go with the full word count, regardless of
              repetition? Should I take the repetition into account?

              The easy way out would be to have the agency make out a P.O.
              specifying the price, but that only postpones my ethical decision.
              I'd run into the same dilemma again someday.

              In the old days without CAT tools, I'd have to have typed the whole
              thing, and I could bill for it all. Ah, the simple, good old days!

              Message 6 of 17 , Feb 1, 2008
                Folks --

                You know that terrible engineer-composed Excel file I was translating
                a few days ago? The one for which I abused your kindness with all
                those ghastly abbreviations?

                Well, I learned a dark communication lesson from that one.

                It turns out all of that horrible stuff was not visible to the client,
                nor to the client's client, and all I was supposed to do was translate
                the visible stuff. All the garbage that became visible when I opened
                it up in a CAT tool was normally accessible only to the engineer who
                put it together. And, evidently me.

                Specific communication is very important.

                Message 7 of 17 , Feb 1, 2008
                  Thanks, Martin.

                  JK

                  On Feb 1, 2008, at 6:43 PM, <bednarski@...>
                  <bednarski@...> wrote:

                  > I doubt this has anything to do with cars or motorcycles - it looks
                  > like (literally) "in the company motto", and I suspect they are
                  > talking about something like company mission or vision.
                  >
                  > Martin

                  > > Od: jpklists@...
                  > > Komu: Czechlist@yahoogroups.com
                  > > Datum: 02.02.2008 00:37
                  > > Předmět: [Czechlist] firemni moto
                  > >
                  > >"ve firemnim motu"
                  > >
                  > >This can't possibly mean a company motorcycle, right?
                  > >
                  > >It has to be a company car.
                  > >
                  > >Yes or no?
                  > >
                  > >Thank you.
                  > >
                  > >Jamie

                • Milan Condak
                  Message 8 of 17 , Feb 2, 2008
                    Vyzkousel jsem prevod extraktu PL-CS z nejkratsiho souboru Volume_12

                    http://www.condak.net/tm/dgt12/cs/00.html

                    Ukazka do MetaTexisu.

                    Milan

                    4a. DGT-TM
                    Posted by: "Milan Condak" Milan.Condak@... mcondak
                    Date: Fri Feb 1, 2008 8:56 am ((PST))

                    JRC pridalo DGT-TM, sadu 12 TMX, které obsahuji shodne texty ve 22 jazycich
                    (1,2Gb) + program na extrakci libovolneho jazykoveho paru + knihovnu do
                    Windows

                    http://langtech.jrc.it/DGT-TM.html

                    Checked by AVG Free Edition.
                    20:30
                  • Aspirio, Sandra Pikorová
                    Message 9 of 17 , Feb 3, 2008
                      Jamie,

                      I guess "moto" here probably means "motto" something like "slogan".
                      (possibly in the context of a company's so called "philosophy"?) but
                      I would need to see the context to make sure.

                      Sandra
                      Message 10 of 17 , Feb 3, 2008
                        On Feb 3, 2008, at 3:32 PM, Aspirio, Sandra Pikorová wrote:

                        > I guess "moto" here probably means "motto" something like "slogan".
                        > (possibly in the context of a company's so called "philosophy"?) but
                        > I would need to see the context to make sure.

                        I translated it as motto, but I have a feeling the guy was really
                        talking about a corporate mission statement.

                        Message 11 of 17 , Feb 3, 2008
                          I can't seem to find "jemna motorika" in any context where I can be
                          sure what it means.

                          Does it mean "fine motor skills"?

                          If so, what are "gross motor skills"?

                          Thank you.

                          Jamie
                        • Valerie Talacko
                          Message 12 of 17 , Feb 3, 2008
                            Fine motor skills are things like picking up objects, gross motor skills are things like crawling, sitting up and walking.

                            Message 13 of 17 , Feb 3, 2008
                              just to be clear, yes, it does mean fine motor skills.

                              Message 14 of 17 , Feb 3, 2008
                                Thank you, Valerie.