firemni moto

    Message 1 of 17 , Feb 1, 2008
      "ve firemnim motu"

      This can't possibly mean a company motorcycle, right?

      It has to be a company car.

      Yes or no?

      Thank you.

      Message 2 of 17 , Feb 1, 2008
        "Potom uvidíte, kde je to pravé ořechové."

        Does this mean nutty in the sense of "crazy"?

        Thanks.

        Jamie
      • bednarski@centrum.cz
        Message 3 of 17 , Feb 1, 2008
          I doubt this has anything to do with cars or motorcycles - it looks like (literally) "in the company motto", and I suspect they are talking about something like company mission or vision.

          > Od: jpklists@...
          > Komu: Czechlist@yahoogroups.com
          > Datum: 02.02.2008 00:37
          > Předmět: [Czechlist] firemni moto
          >
          >"ve firemnim motu"
          >
          >This can't possibly mean a company motorcycle, right?
          >
          >It has to be a company car.
          >
          >Yes or no?
          >
          >Thank you.
          >
          >Jamie

        • Gmail
          Message 4 of 17 , Feb 1, 2008
            I think it is a "motto".

            Zuzana

            Message 5 of 17 , Feb 1, 2008
              Hi Jamie,

              It means: it is exactly what I was looking for (and maybe it has taken me so much time to find it), it is exactly correct, it is just what I needed, that's the ticket, that's the stuff.

              Zuzana

              Message 6 of 17 , Feb 1, 2008
                Thank you for both of these, Zuzana.

                Jamie

                Message 7 of 17 , Feb 1, 2008
                  I'm doing a job for a translation agency that sent me an Excel file
                  (much better than the last one) and said there were approximately X,
                  000 target-language words in it.

                  Well, as I work on the thing, every time I fill in a translation unit
                  and confirm, one or two units down the road get filled up. There is
                  repetition on every worksheet in the file, so my work is really about
                  half of what it would be without all that repetition.

                  Assuming the agency says nothing about that, how would you guys
                  suggest I bill? Should I go with the full word count, regardless of
                  repetition? Should I take the repetition into account?

                  The easy way out would be to have the agency make out a P.O.
                  specifying the price, but that only postpones my ethical decision.
                  I'd run into the same dilemma again someday.

                  In the old days without CAT tools, I'd have to have typed the whole
                  thing, and I could bill for it all. Ah, the simple, good old days!

                  Message 8 of 17 , Feb 1, 2008
                    Folks --

                    You know that terrible engineer-composed Excel file I was translating
                    a few days ago? The one for which I abused your kindness with all
                    those ghastly abbreviations?

                    Well, I learned a dark communication lesson from that one.

                    It turns out all of that horrible stuff was not visible to the client,
                    nor to the client's client, and all I was supposed to do was translate
                    the visible stuff. All the garbage that became visible when I opened
                    it up in a CAT tool was normally accessible only to the engineer who
                    put it together. And, evidently me.

                    Specific communication is very important.

                    Message 9 of 17 , Feb 1, 2008
                      Thanks, Martin.

                      JK

                      On Feb 1, 2008, at 6:43 PM, <bednarski@...>
                      <bednarski@...> wrote:

                      > I doubt this has anything to do with cars or motorcycles - it looks
                      > like (literally) "in the company motto", and I suspect they are
                      > talking about something like company mission or vision.
                      >
                      > Martin

                      > > Od: jpklists@...
                      > > Komu: Czechlist@yahoogroups.com
                      > > Datum: 02.02.2008 00:37
                      > > Předmět: [Czechlist] firemni moto
                      > >
                      > >"ve firemnim motu"
                      > >
                      > >This can't possibly mean a company motorcycle, right?
                      > >
                      > >It has to be a company car.
                      > >
                      > >Yes or no?
                      > >
                      > >Thank you.
                      > >
                      > >Jamie

                    • Milan Condak
                      Message 10 of 17 , Feb 2, 2008
                        Vyzkousel jsem prevod extraktu PL-CS z nejkratsiho souboru Volume_12

                        http://www.condak.net/tm/dgt12/cs/00.html

                        Ukazka do MetaTexisu.

                        Milan

                        4a. DGT-TM
                        Posted by: "Milan Condak" Milan.Condak@... mcondak
                        Date: Fri Feb 1, 2008 8:56 am ((PST))

                        JRC pridalo DGT-TM, sadu 12 TMX, které obsahuji shodne texty ve 22 jazycich
                        (1,2Gb) + program na extrakci libovolneho jazykoveho paru + knihovnu do
                        Windows

                        http://langtech.jrc.it/DGT-TM.html

                        Checked by AVG Free Edition.
                        20:30
                      • Aspirio, Sandra Pikorová
                        Message 11 of 17 , Feb 3, 2008
                          Jamie,

                          I guess "moto" here probably means "motto" something like "slogan".
                          (possibly in the context of a company's so called "philosophy"?) but
                          I would need to see the context to make sure.

                          Sandra
                          Message 12 of 17 , Feb 3, 2008
                            On Feb 3, 2008, at 3:32 PM, Aspirio, Sandra Pikorová wrote:

                            > I guess "moto" here probably means "motto" something like "slogan".
                            > (possibly in the context of a company's so called "philosophy"?) but
                            > I would need to see the context to make sure.

                            I translated it as motto, but I have a feeling the guy was really
                            talking about a corporate mission statement.

                            Message 13 of 17 , Feb 3, 2008
                              I can't seem to find "jemna motorika" in any context where I can be
                              sure what it means.

                              Does it mean "fine motor skills"?

                              If so, what are "gross motor skills"?

                              Thank you.

                              Jamie
                            • Valerie Talacko
                              Message 14 of 17 , Feb 3, 2008
                                Fine motor skills are things like picking up objects, gross motor skills are things like crawling, sitting up and walking.

                                Message 15 of 17 , Feb 3, 2008
                                  just to be clear, yes, it does mean fine motor skills.

                                  Message 16 of 17 , Feb 3, 2008
                                    Thank you, Valerie.