Important - Huge Czech/Slovak TM from EU

  • radekpletka
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 1, 2008
      As I posted on my job website on Yahoo, the EU 1 million sentences TM
      in TMX is available for free download. It is 12 zipped files, together
      about 1.2G, plus extraction tool. It takes about 30 minutes on fast
      machine to extract for example English Czech tmx file, which has over
      700M. Importing tmx into Trados (I am using 6.5) is exteremely slow,
      one of my machines is running 2 days now and impported only 470,000
      sentences so far. SDLX is faster, it takes about half day to import
      one language combination. I am preparing E>CZ, CZ<E, E>SK, SK<E and
      CZ>SK and SK>CZ files for both Trados and SDLX.
      Those files will be huge, for example SDLX CZtoE mdb file is 1.16G,
      zipped is 280M and exported txt file from SDLX for Trados is 312M,
      zipped is 59M.
      Other files will be similar in size.
      It will take me additional several days to process the other language
      combinations.
      If any of you is willing to help with this project (advice,
      processing), please contact me of the list, and you will be able to
      share the results for free.
      If you later will be interested in the processed files, let me know,
      and we can exchange the TM for free as well.
      I am not doing this for money, but I want to collect as big E<>CZ<>SK
      TM as possible as a foundation for future cooperation among us.
      As the big TMs will represent in the future bigger and bigger power in
      translation, I would appreciate your thoughts and input about how to
      handle this fairly and also profitably for all participants.

      Sincerely

      Radek Pletka

      P.S. Also if any of you have experience in extracting terminology from
      those huge databases, please contact me off the list, as I would like
      to do that as well.

      P.S.S.

      Sending huge files for free is not a problem, it only takes a time.
      I am using www.sendthisfile.com, where you can send file of any size
      for free (one at a time). It takes me about a day to upload 700M file
      (they hold the speed back for free accounts) and then I can forward
      the file to as many people as I want at no time. The file is available
      for download for about 4-5 days, download is much faster.