Re: [Czechlist] Kredit

    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 1, 2008
      Thanks, Matej, Josef and Jarda.

      > You can even talk about a person having a "vysoky moralni
      > kredit" (which
      > I'd probably translate as a "high ethical standard"), and so on.

      This is interesting. Depending on the context, I might have
      translated it as "high moral credibility" or "high ethical
      credibility". You could say that about a politician, for example. Is
      the "kredit" the standard, or does it describe how much people trust
      the person?

    • Josef Hlavac
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 1, 2008
        > This is interesting. Depending on the context, I might have
        > translated it as "high moral credibility" or "high ethical
        > credibility". You could say that about a politician, for example. Is
        > the "kredit" the standard, or does it describe how much people trust
        > the person?

        I'd say it can refer to both, if we stay with the popular (but in fact
        incorrect, as Jarda pointed out) usage. My feeling is that "kredit" in
        this context is a buzzword without a precisely defined meaning - and, in
        Google's opinion, you'll see someone praised for an "ethical standard"
        far more often than for "ethical credibility". So, that's why I'd
        probably go with the former.

        Josef