Re: [Czechlist] Kredit

    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 1, 2008
      Yep

      From: James Kirchner
      To: Czechlist@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Friday, February 01, 2008 3:18 PM
      Subject: Re: [Czechlist] Obchod

      Thanks, Jirka.

      Another question that's not resolved by any dictionary: Is "kredit"
      ever used to mean credibility? I know this lady is not writing about
      bad financial credit, but about a person's lack of believability. Is
      that possible?

      JK

      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 1, 2008
        Thanks, Matej, Josef and Jarda.

        > You can even talk about a person having a "vysoky moralni
        > kredit" (which
        > I'd probably translate as a "high ethical standard"), and so on.

        This is interesting. Depending on the context, I might have
        translated it as "high moral credibility" or "high ethical
        credibility". You could say that about a politician, for example. Is
        the "kredit" the standard, or does it describe how much people trust
        the person?

      • Josef Hlavac
        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 1, 2008
          > This is interesting. Depending on the context, I might have
          > translated it as "high moral credibility" or "high ethical
          > credibility". You could say that about a politician, for example. Is
          > the "kredit" the standard, or does it describe how much people trust
          > the person?

          I'd say it can refer to both, if we stay with the popular (but in fact
          incorrect, as Jarda pointed out) usage. My feeling is that "kredit" in
          this context is a buzzword without a precisely defined meaning - and, in
          Google's opinion, you'll see someone praised for an "ethical standard"
          far more often than for "ethical credibility". So, that's why I'd
          probably go with the former.

          Josef