Re: [Czechlist] Obchod

    Message 1 of 19 , Feb 1, 2008
      Thanks, Jirka.

      Another question that's not resolved by any dictionary: Is "kredit"
      ever used to mean credibility? I know this lady is not writing about
      bad financial credit, but about a person's lack of believability. Is
      that possible?

      JK

      On Feb 1, 2008, at 8:51 AM, Jirka Bolech wrote:

      > Another noun some companies use is "prodej" while the corresponding
      > adjectives are "obchodni", "odbytove", and "prodejni", respectively,
      > for the
      > noun "oddeleni"...
      >
      > Jirka Bolech

    • Josef Hlavac
      Message 2 of 19 , Feb 1, 2008
        > Another question that's not resolved by any dictionary: Is "kredit"
        > ever used to mean credibility? I know this lady is not writing about
        > bad financial credit, but about a person's lack of believability. Is
        > that possible?

        Yes, perfectly possible.

        You can even talk about a person having a "vysoky moralni kredit" (which
        I'd probably translate as a "high ethical standard"), and so on.

        Josef
      • Jaroslav Hejzlar
        Message 3 of 19 , Feb 1, 2008
          Yes,
          that is quite frequent use of the word, although it is completely incorrect.
          Regards,
          Jarda

          Another question that's not resolved by any dictionary: Is "kredit"
          ever used to mean credibility? I know this lady is not writing about
          bad financial credit, but about a person's lack of believability. Is
          that possible?

          JK

          On Feb 1, 2008, at 8:51 AM, Jirka Bolech wrote:

          > Another noun some companies use is "prodej" while the corresponding
          > adjectives are "obchodni", "odbytove", and "prodejni", respectively,
          > for the
          > noun "oddeleni"...
          >
          > Jirka Bolech

        • Valerie Talacko
          Message 4 of 19 , Feb 1, 2008
            I meant the other way round - I knew you called trousers pants, but it was news to me that you also called them trousers.

            >Those lists usually contain differences that don't exist, and they don't list differences that do exist.

            Yes. It's also fair to say that at least 75% of the usually-unlisted ones occur in the realm of baby care!