Re: [Czechlist] Obchod

    Message 1 of 19 , Feb 1, 2008
      That's what I thought. Thanks.

      Jamie

      Message 2 of 19 , Feb 1, 2008
        Another noun some companies use is "prodej" while the corresponding
        adjectives are "obchodni", "odbytove", and "prodejni", respectively, for the
        noun "oddeleni"...

        Jirka Bolech

        On Feb 1, 2008, at 8:39 AM, Jirka Bolech wrote:

        > Hi Jamie:
        >
        > > Would that be a sales department?
        >
        > That's what I would call it. "Obchod" is the same as "odbyt" for a
        > department and that's what you guys call 'sales'...
        >
        > Jirka Bolech

        Translators' tricks of the trade:
        http://czeng.wetpaint.com/

        Yahoo! Groups Links
        Message 3 of 19 , Feb 1, 2008
          Thanks, Jirka.

          Another question that's not resolved by any dictionary: Is "kredit"
          ever used to mean credibility? I know this lady is not writing about
          bad financial credit, but about a person's lack of believability. Is
          that possible?

          JK

          On Feb 1, 2008, at 8:51 AM, Jirka Bolech wrote:

          > Another noun some companies use is "prodej" while the corresponding
          > adjectives are "obchodni", "odbytove", and "prodejni", respectively,
          > for the
          > noun "oddeleni"...
          >
          > Jirka Bolech

        • Josef Hlavac
          Message 4 of 19 , Feb 1, 2008
            > Another question that's not resolved by any dictionary: Is "kredit"
            > ever used to mean credibility? I know this lady is not writing about
            > bad financial credit, but about a person's lack of believability. Is
            > that possible?

            Yes, perfectly possible.

            You can even talk about a person having a "vysoky moralni kredit" (which
            I'd probably translate as a "high ethical standard"), and so on.

            Josef
          • Jaroslav Hejzlar
            Message 5 of 19 , Feb 1, 2008
              Yes,
              that is quite frequent use of the word, although it is completely incorrect.
              Regards,
              Jarda

              Another question that's not resolved by any dictionary: Is "kredit"
              ever used to mean credibility? I know this lady is not writing about
              bad financial credit, but about a person's lack of believability. Is
              that possible?

              JK

              On Feb 1, 2008, at 8:51 AM, Jirka Bolech wrote:

              > Another noun some companies use is "prodej" while the corresponding
              > adjectives are "obchodni", "odbytove", and "prodejni", respectively,
              > for the
              > noun "oddeleni"...
              >
              > Jirka Bolech

            • Valerie Talacko
              Message 6 of 19 , Feb 1, 2008
                I meant the other way round - I knew you called trousers pants, but it was news to me that you also called them trousers.

                >Those lists usually contain differences that don't exist, and they don't list differences that do exist.

                Yes. It's also fair to say that at least 75% of the usually-unlisted ones occur in the realm of baby care!