Re: [Czechlist] ireferaty

  • Jan Culka
    Message 1 of 19 , Feb 1, 2008
      And breech (= buttocks) is an archaism as well?
      H.

      Message 2 of 19 , Feb 1, 2008
        I've never heard of that word being used to be buttocks.

        I see it's in the dictionary listed as archaic. However, it sounds
        less like it refers to the actual buttocks than to what people now
        call the "crack".

        JK

        Message 3 of 19 , Feb 1, 2008
          How would you folks translate "Obchod" in reference to a department,
          without context, in regard to a company that you're 90% sure does not
          own or operate a kram?

          Would that be a sales department?

          Thanks.

          Message 4 of 19 , Feb 1, 2008
            Hi Jamie:

            > Would that be a sales department?

            That's what I would call it. "Obchod" is the same as "odbyt" for a
            department and that's what you guys call 'sales'...

            Message 5 of 19 , Feb 1, 2008
              That's what I thought. Thanks.

              Jamie

              Message 6 of 19 , Feb 1, 2008
                Another noun some companies use is "prodej" while the corresponding
                adjectives are "obchodni", "odbytove", and "prodejni", respectively, for the
                noun "oddeleni"...

                Jirka Bolech

                On Feb 1, 2008, at 8:39 AM, Jirka Bolech wrote:

                > Hi Jamie:
                >
                > > Would that be a sales department?
                >
                > That's what I would call it. "Obchod" is the same as "odbyt" for a
                > department and that's what you guys call 'sales'...
                >
                > Jirka Bolech

                Translators' tricks of the trade:
                http://czeng.wetpaint.com/

                Yahoo! Groups Links
                Message 7 of 19 , Feb 1, 2008
                  Thanks, Jirka.

                  Another question that's not resolved by any dictionary: Is "kredit"
                  ever used to mean credibility? I know this lady is not writing about
                  bad financial credit, but about a person's lack of believability. Is
                  that possible?

                  JK

                  On Feb 1, 2008, at 8:51 AM, Jirka Bolech wrote:

                  > Another noun some companies use is "prodej" while the corresponding
                  > adjectives are "obchodni", "odbytove", and "prodejni", respectively,
                  > for the
                  > noun "oddeleni"...
                  >
                  > Jirka Bolech

                • Josef Hlavac
                  Message 8 of 19 , Feb 1, 2008
                    > Another question that's not resolved by any dictionary: Is "kredit"
                    > ever used to mean credibility? I know this lady is not writing about
                    > bad financial credit, but about a person's lack of believability. Is
                    > that possible?

                    Yes, perfectly possible.

                    You can even talk about a person having a "vysoky moralni kredit" (which
                    I'd probably translate as a "high ethical standard"), and so on.

                    Josef
                  • Jaroslav Hejzlar
                    Message 9 of 19 , Feb 1, 2008
                      Yes,
                      that is quite frequent use of the word, although it is completely incorrect.
                      Regards,
                      Jarda

                      Another question that's not resolved by any dictionary: Is "kredit"
                      ever used to mean credibility? I know this lady is not writing about
                      bad financial credit, but about a person's lack of believability. Is
                      that possible?

                      JK

                      On Feb 1, 2008, at 8:51 AM, Jirka Bolech wrote:

                      > Another noun some companies use is "prodej" while the corresponding
                      > adjectives are "obchodni", "odbytove", and "prodejni", respectively,
                      > for the
                      > noun "oddeleni"...
                      >
                      > Jirka Bolech

                    • Valerie Talacko
                      Message 10 of 19 , Feb 1, 2008
                        I meant the other way round - I knew you called trousers pants, but it was news to me that you also called them trousers.

                        >Those lists usually contain differences that don't exist, and they don't list differences that do exist.

                        Yes. It's also fair to say that at least 75% of the usually-unlisted ones occur in the realm of baby care!