Re: [Czechlist] ireferaty

    Message 1 of 19 , Feb 1, 2008
      Britches. We also have the word breeches, but those are something
      people wore centuries ago.

      JK

      On Feb 1, 2008, at 8:01 AM, Jan Culka wrote:

      > britches or breeches?
      > Honza

    • Jan Culka
      Message 2 of 19 , Feb 1, 2008
        And breech (= buttocks) is an archaism as well?
        H.

        Message 3 of 19 , Feb 1, 2008
          I've never heard of that word being used to be buttocks.

          I see it's in the dictionary listed as archaic. However, it sounds
          less like it refers to the actual buttocks than to what people now
          call the "crack".

          JK

          Message 4 of 19 , Feb 1, 2008
            How would you folks translate "Obchod" in reference to a department,
            without context, in regard to a company that you're 90% sure does not
            own or operate a kram?

            Would that be a sales department?

            Thanks.

            Message 5 of 19 , Feb 1, 2008
              Hi Jamie:

              > Would that be a sales department?

              That's what I would call it. "Obchod" is the same as "odbyt" for a
              department and that's what you guys call 'sales'...

              Message 6 of 19 , Feb 1, 2008
                That's what I thought. Thanks.

                Jamie

                Message 7 of 19 , Feb 1, 2008
                  Another noun some companies use is "prodej" while the corresponding
                  adjectives are "obchodni", "odbytove", and "prodejni", respectively, for the
                  noun "oddeleni"...

                  Jirka Bolech

                  On Feb 1, 2008, at 8:39 AM, Jirka Bolech wrote:

                  > Hi Jamie:
                  >
                  > > Would that be a sales department?
                  >
                  > That's what I would call it. "Obchod" is the same as "odbyt" for a
                  > department and that's what you guys call 'sales'...
                  >
                  > Jirka Bolech

                  Translators' tricks of the trade:
                  http://czeng.wetpaint.com/

                  Yahoo! Groups Links
                  Message 8 of 19 , Feb 1, 2008
                    Thanks, Jirka.

                    Another question that's not resolved by any dictionary: Is "kredit"
                    ever used to mean credibility? I know this lady is not writing about
                    bad financial credit, but about a person's lack of believability. Is
                    that possible?

                    JK

                    On Feb 1, 2008, at 8:51 AM, Jirka Bolech wrote:

                    > Another noun some companies use is "prodej" while the corresponding
                    > adjectives are "obchodni", "odbytove", and "prodejni", respectively,
                    > for the
                    > noun "oddeleni"...
                    >
                    > Jirka Bolech

                  • Josef Hlavac
                    Message 9 of 19 , Feb 1, 2008
                      > Another question that's not resolved by any dictionary: Is "kredit"
                      > ever used to mean credibility? I know this lady is not writing about
                      > bad financial credit, but about a person's lack of believability. Is
                      > that possible?

                      Yes, perfectly possible.

                      You can even talk about a person having a "vysoky moralni kredit" (which
                      I'd probably translate as a "high ethical standard"), and so on.

                      Josef
                    • Jaroslav Hejzlar
                      Message 10 of 19 , Feb 1, 2008
                        Yes,
                        that is quite frequent use of the word, although it is completely incorrect.
                        Regards,
                        Jarda

                        Another question that's not resolved by any dictionary: Is "kredit"
                        ever used to mean credibility? I know this lady is not writing about
                        bad financial credit, but about a person's lack of believability. Is
                        that possible?

                        JK

                        On Feb 1, 2008, at 8:51 AM, Jirka Bolech wrote:

                        > Another noun some companies use is "prodej" while the corresponding
                        > adjectives are "obchodni", "odbytove", and "prodejni", respectively,
                        > for the
                        > noun "oddeleni"...
                        >
                        > Jirka Bolech

                      • Valerie Talacko
                        Message 11 of 19 , Feb 1, 2008
                          I meant the other way round - I knew you called trousers pants, but it was news to me that you also called them trousers.

                          >Those lists usually contain differences that don't exist, and they don't list differences that do exist.

                          Yes. It's also fair to say that at least 75% of the usually-unlisted ones occur in the realm of baby care!