Re: [Czechlist] ireferaty

  • Jan Culka
    Message 1 of 19 , Feb 1, 2008
      britches or breeches?
      Honza

      ----- Original Message -----
      From: James Kirchner
      To: Czechlist@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Friday, February 01, 2008 1:55 PM
      Subject: Re: [Czechlist] ireferaty

      On Feb 1, 2008, at 5:25 AM, Valerie Talacko wrote:

      > When do you call pants trousers, btw? (and a store a shop - I did
      > know this but have forgotten)

      We call trousers pans whenever we want to. There's no rule or
      particular time we do it. (What the British ESL books call "pants"
      are our underpants.) On rare occasions, we also use the word
      "britches", so when we say that a small child has "filled his britches".

      That whole bit about the vocabulary "differences" between British and
      American English is bogus at least 50% of the time. Those lists
      usually contain differences that don't exist, and they don't list
      differences that do exist. I always wonder who creates them. After
      reading those lists all my life, imagine my surprise when I went to
      the UK and saw things being sold in "cans". (We usually call an
      elegant, decorated can a tin, by the way.)

      In the US, you occasionally (but rarely) get a list like that where
      the term that's claimed to be "British" is really cockney rhyming
      slang. There's no explanation. They just say the weird term is
      "British".

      Message 2 of 19 , Feb 1, 2008
        Britches. We also have the word breeches, but those are something
        people wore centuries ago.

        JK

        On Feb 1, 2008, at 8:01 AM, Jan Culka wrote:

        > britches or breeches?
        > Honza

      • Jan Culka
        Message 3 of 19 , Feb 1, 2008
          And breech (= buttocks) is an archaism as well?

          Message 4 of 19 , Feb 1, 2008
            I've never heard of that word being used to be buttocks.

            I see it's in the dictionary listed as archaic. However, it sounds
            less like it refers to the actual buttocks than to what people now
            call the "crack".

            JK

            Message 5 of 19 , Feb 1, 2008
              How would you folks translate "Obchod" in reference to a department,
              without context, in regard to a company that you're 90% sure does not
              own or operate a kram?

              Would that be a sales department?

              Thanks.

              Message 6 of 19 , Feb 1, 2008
                Hi Jamie:

                > Would that be a sales department?

                That's what I would call it. "Obchod" is the same as "odbyt" for a
                department and that's what you guys call 'sales'...

                Message 7 of 19 , Feb 1, 2008
                  That's what I thought. Thanks.

                  Jamie

                  Message 8 of 19 , Feb 1, 2008
                    Another noun some companies use is "prodej" while the corresponding
                    adjectives are "obchodni", "odbytove", and "prodejni", respectively, for the
                    noun "oddeleni"...

                    Jirka Bolech

                    On Feb 1, 2008, at 8:39 AM, Jirka Bolech wrote:

                    > Hi Jamie:
                    >
                    > > Would that be a sales department?
                    >
                    > That's what I would call it. "Obchod" is the same as "odbyt" for a
                    > department and that's what you guys call 'sales'...
                    >
                    > Jirka Bolech

                    Translators' tricks of the trade:
                    http://czeng.wetpaint.com/

                    Yahoo! Groups Links
                    Message 9 of 19 , Feb 1, 2008
                      Thanks, Jirka.

                      Another question that's not resolved by any dictionary: Is "kredit"
                      ever used to mean credibility? I know this lady is not writing about
                      bad financial credit, but about a person's lack of believability. Is
                      that possible?

                      JK

                      On Feb 1, 2008, at 8:51 AM, Jirka Bolech wrote:

                      > Another noun some companies use is "prodej" while the corresponding
                      > adjectives are "obchodni", "odbytove", and "prodejni", respectively,
                      > for the
                      > noun "oddeleni"...
                      >
                      > Jirka Bolech

                    • Josef Hlavac
                      Message 10 of 19 , Feb 1, 2008
                        > Another question that's not resolved by any dictionary: Is "kredit"
                        > ever used to mean credibility? I know this lady is not writing about
                        > bad financial credit, but about a person's lack of believability. Is
                        > that possible?

                        Yes, perfectly possible.

                        You can even talk about a person having a "vysoky moralni kredit" (which
                        I'd probably translate as a "high ethical standard"), and so on.

                        Josef
                      • Jaroslav Hejzlar
                        Message 11 of 19 , Feb 1, 2008
                          Yes,
                          that is quite frequent use of the word, although it is completely incorrect.
                          Regards,
                          Jarda

                          Another question that's not resolved by any dictionary: Is "kredit"
                          ever used to mean credibility? I know this lady is not writing about
                          bad financial credit, but about a person's lack of believability. Is
                          that possible?

                          JK

                          On Feb 1, 2008, at 8:51 AM, Jirka Bolech wrote:

                          > Another noun some companies use is "prodej" while the corresponding
                          > adjectives are "obchodni", "odbytove", and "prodejni", respectively,
                          > for the
                          > noun "oddeleni"...
                          >
                          > Jirka Bolech

                        • Valerie Talacko
                          Message 12 of 19 , Feb 1, 2008
                            I meant the other way round - I knew you called trousers pants, but it was news to me that you also called them trousers.

                            >Those lists usually contain differences that don't exist, and they don't list differences that do exist.

                            Yes. It's also fair to say that at least 75% of the usually-unlisted ones occur in the realm of baby care!