Re: TERM: cocaine related

  • kzgafas
    Message 1 of 19 , Feb 1, 2008
      Yes, it is used in Czech, but not very often - per my Googling.

      K.

      --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, Jennifer Hejtmánková <jenhejt@...>
      wrote:

      > Try this:
      >
      > http://ireferaty.lidovky.cz/321/168/Kokain
      >
      > they use the term "krek".
      >
      > hth,
      > jennifer
      >
      > On Feb 1, 2008, at 1:33 AM, kzgafas wrote:
      >
      > > Anyone experienced in using cocaine? :-)
      > >
      > > Just wondering how to translate "cocaine crack" as opposed
      to "cocaine
      > > powder". Just "crack"? And the second - "kokainový prasek"? So
      can I
      > > say in Czech: Kokain se uziva jako kokainovy prasek nebo crack?
      is
      > > this
      > > OK.
      > >
      > > Thank you,
      > >
      > > K.

    • Valerie Talacko
      Message 2 of 19 , Feb 1, 2008
        No way is American intonation more monotonous (unless you've been watching a lot of Westerns). In fact it seems to me to be quite the opposite - the trend seems to have been for intonation variation to become more pronounced in AmEng, whereas in the UK it is (or was) trendy to speak in more of a monotone. Very upper-class BritEng intonation has pretty pronounced rises and falls, but that's now a fairly small subset of speakers. Scottish and Welsh accents also have more pronounced intonational differences.

        I've also been told AmEng is easier to understand, but I think that's because of things such as the preservation of the post-vocalic r sound. And the the fact that BritEng has changed in this and other respects doesn't make it 'more developed.'

        When do you call pants trousers, btw? (and a store a shop - I did know this but have forgotten)

        Valerie

        Message 3 of 19 , Feb 1, 2008
          On Feb 1, 2008, at 5:25 AM, Valerie Talacko wrote:

          > When do you call pants trousers, btw? (and a store a shop - I did
          > know this but have forgotten)

          We call trousers pans whenever we want to. There's no rule or
          particular time we do it. (What the British ESL books call "pants"
          are our underpants.) On rare occasions, we also use the word
          "britches", so when we say that a small child has "filled his britches".

          That whole bit about the vocabulary "differences" between British and
          American English is bogus at least 50% of the time. Those lists
          usually contain differences that don't exist, and they don't list
          differences that do exist. I always wonder who creates them. After
          reading those lists all my life, imagine my surprise when I went to
          the UK and saw things being sold in "cans". (We usually call an
          elegant, decorated can a tin, by the way.)

          In the US, you occasionally (but rarely) get a list like that where
          the term that's claimed to be "British" is really cockney rhyming
          slang. There's no explanation. They just say the weird term is
          "British".

        • Jan Culka
          Message 4 of 19 , Feb 1, 2008
            britches or breeches?
            Honza

            Message 5 of 19 , Feb 1, 2008
              Britches. We also have the word breeches, but those are something
              people wore centuries ago.

              JK

              On Feb 1, 2008, at 8:01 AM, Jan Culka wrote:

              > britches or breeches?
              > Honza

            • Jan Culka
              Message 6 of 19 , Feb 1, 2008
                And breech (= buttocks) is an archaism as well?

                Message 7 of 19 , Feb 1, 2008
                  I've never heard of that word being used to be buttocks.

                  I see it's in the dictionary listed as archaic. However, it sounds
                  less like it refers to the actual buttocks than to what people now
                  call the "crack".

                  JK

                  Message 8 of 19 , Feb 1, 2008
                    How would you folks translate "Obchod" in reference to a department,
                    without context, in regard to a company that you're 90% sure does not
                    own or operate a kram?

                    Would that be a sales department?

                    Thanks.

                    Message 9 of 19 , Feb 1, 2008
                      Hi Jamie:

                      > Would that be a sales department?

                      That's what I would call it. "Obchod" is the same as "odbyt" for a
                      department and that's what you guys call 'sales'...

                      Message 10 of 19 , Feb 1, 2008
                        That's what I thought. Thanks.

                        Jamie

                        Message 11 of 19 , Feb 1, 2008
                          Another noun some companies use is "prodej" while the corresponding
                          adjectives are "obchodni", "odbytove", and "prodejni", respectively, for the
                          noun "oddeleni"...

                          Jirka Bolech

                          On Feb 1, 2008, at 8:39 AM, Jirka Bolech wrote:

                          > Hi Jamie:
                          >
                          > > Would that be a sales department?
                          >
                          > That's what I would call it. "Obchod" is the same as "odbyt" for a
                          > department and that's what you guys call 'sales'...
                          >
                          > Jirka Bolech

                          Translators' tricks of the trade:
                          http://czeng.wetpaint.com/

                          Yahoo! Groups Links
                          Message 12 of 19 , Feb 1, 2008
                            Thanks, Jirka.

                            Another question that's not resolved by any dictionary: Is "kredit"
                            ever used to mean credibility? I know this lady is not writing about
                            bad financial credit, but about a person's lack of believability. Is
                            that possible?

                            JK

                            On Feb 1, 2008, at 8:51 AM, Jirka Bolech wrote:

                            > Another noun some companies use is "prodej" while the corresponding
                            > adjectives are "obchodni", "odbytove", and "prodejni", respectively,
                            > for the
                            > noun "oddeleni"...
                            >
                            > Jirka Bolech

                          • Josef Hlavac
                            Message 13 of 19 , Feb 1, 2008
                              > Another question that's not resolved by any dictionary: Is "kredit"
                              > ever used to mean credibility? I know this lady is not writing about
                              > bad financial credit, but about a person's lack of believability. Is
                              > that possible?

                              Yes, perfectly possible.

                              You can even talk about a person having a "vysoky moralni kredit" (which
                              I'd probably translate as a "high ethical standard"), and so on.

                              Josef
                            • Jaroslav Hejzlar
                              Message 14 of 19 , Feb 1, 2008
                                Yes,
                                that is quite frequent use of the word, although it is completely incorrect.
                                Regards,
                                Jarda

                                Another question that's not resolved by any dictionary: Is "kredit"
                                ever used to mean credibility? I know this lady is not writing about
                                bad financial credit, but about a person's lack of believability. Is
                                that possible?

                                JK

                                On Feb 1, 2008, at 8:51 AM, Jirka Bolech wrote:

                                > Another noun some companies use is "prodej" while the corresponding
                                > adjectives are "obchodni", "odbytove", and "prodejni", respectively,
                                > for the
                                > noun "oddeleni"...
                                >
                                > Jirka Bolech

                              • Valerie Talacko
                                Message 15 of 19 , Feb 1, 2008
                                  I meant the other way round - I knew you called trousers pants, but it was news to me that you also called them trousers.

                                  >Those lists usually contain differences that don't exist, and they don't list differences that do exist.

                                  Yes. It's also fair to say that at least 75% of the usually-unlisted ones occur in the realm of baby care!