Re: [Czechlist] TERM: cocaine related

  • Jennifer Hejtmánková
    Message 1 of 19 , Jan 31 11:33 PM
      Try this:

      http://ireferaty.lidovky.cz/321/168/Kokain

      they use the term "krek".

      hth,
      jennifer

      Message 2 of 19 , Feb 1, 2008
        Thank you for leading us to this site, Jennifer. I didn't know about
        it. It's very useful, both as an information source and as an
        anthropological curiosity.

        The most interesting part for me are the "maturitni otazky",
        particularly the ones for English.

        I see nothing much has changed in those swallowed-and-regurgitated
        texts. One of them still has the title "My Daily Program", which
        always sounded quite Czenglish to me, so I used to make the kids say,
        "My Daily Routine".

        The other thing I used to spit fire over was the list of vocabulary
        "differences" between US and UK English. For example:

        pants is called trousers
        store is called shop
        general store is called department store

        It would be more realistic to say, "Americans call trousers pants,
        except when they call them trousers," and, "Americans call a shop a
        store, except then they call it a shop."

        And I have never heard of a town having a "general store" since the
        cowboy-and-Indian days.

        And then there are these classics:

        "the American pronunciation has preserved a feature of the language in
        its earlier stages of development while the British pronunciation of
        these days appears to be more developed in comparison with it."

        More developed?

        "In comparison with the lively British intonation, the American
        intonation seems to be somehow monotonous. The melody of the speech is
        simpler as there are not rises and falls of the speech and that is why
        American English is easier to understand than British English."

        What?

        Where do they get this stuff?

        Jamie
      • kzgafas
        Message 3 of 19 , Feb 1, 2008
          Yes, it is used in Czech, but not very often - per my Googling.

          K.

          --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, Jennifer Hejtmánková <jenhejt@...>
          wrote:

          > Try this:
          >
          > http://ireferaty.lidovky.cz/321/168/Kokain
          >
          > they use the term "krek".
          >
          > hth,
          > jennifer
          >
          > On Feb 1, 2008, at 1:33 AM, kzgafas wrote:
          >
          > > Anyone experienced in using cocaine? :-)
          > >
          > > Just wondering how to translate "cocaine crack" as opposed
          to "cocaine
          > > powder". Just "crack"? And the second - "kokainový prasek"? So
          can I
          > > say in Czech: Kokain se uziva jako kokainovy prasek nebo crack?
          is
          > > this
          > > OK.
          > >
          > > Thank you,
          > >
          > > K.

        • Valerie Talacko
          Message 4 of 19 , Feb 1, 2008
            No way is American intonation more monotonous (unless you've been watching a lot of Westerns). In fact it seems to me to be quite the opposite - the trend seems to have been for intonation variation to become more pronounced in AmEng, whereas in the UK it is (or was) trendy to speak in more of a monotone. Very upper-class BritEng intonation has pretty pronounced rises and falls, but that's now a fairly small subset of speakers. Scottish and Welsh accents also have more pronounced intonational differences.

            I've also been told AmEng is easier to understand, but I think that's because of things such as the preservation of the post-vocalic r sound. And the the fact that BritEng has changed in this and other respects doesn't make it 'more developed.'

            When do you call pants trousers, btw? (and a store a shop - I did know this but have forgotten)

            Valerie

            Message 5 of 19 , Feb 1, 2008
              On Feb 1, 2008, at 5:25 AM, Valerie Talacko wrote:

              > When do you call pants trousers, btw? (and a store a shop - I did
              > know this but have forgotten)

              We call trousers pans whenever we want to. There's no rule or
              particular time we do it. (What the British ESL books call "pants"
              are our underpants.) On rare occasions, we also use the word
              "britches", so when we say that a small child has "filled his britches".

              That whole bit about the vocabulary "differences" between British and
              American English is bogus at least 50% of the time. Those lists
              usually contain differences that don't exist, and they don't list
              differences that do exist. I always wonder who creates them. After
              reading those lists all my life, imagine my surprise when I went to
              the UK and saw things being sold in "cans". (We usually call an
              elegant, decorated can a tin, by the way.)

              In the US, you occasionally (but rarely) get a list like that where
              the term that's claimed to be "British" is really cockney rhyming
              slang. There's no explanation. They just say the weird term is
              "British".

            • Jan Culka
              Message 6 of 19 , Feb 1, 2008
                britches or breeches?
                Honza

                Message 7 of 19 , Feb 1, 2008
                  Britches. We also have the word breeches, but those are something
                  people wore centuries ago.

                  JK

                  On Feb 1, 2008, at 8:01 AM, Jan Culka wrote:

                  > britches or breeches?
                  > Honza

                • Jan Culka
                  Message 8 of 19 , Feb 1, 2008
                    And breech (= buttocks) is an archaism as well?

                    Message 9 of 19 , Feb 1, 2008
                      I've never heard of that word being used to be buttocks.

                      I see it's in the dictionary listed as archaic. However, it sounds
                      less like it refers to the actual buttocks than to what people now
                      call the "crack".

                      JK

                      Message 10 of 19 , Feb 1, 2008
                        How would you folks translate "Obchod" in reference to a department,
                        without context, in regard to a company that you're 90% sure does not
                        own or operate a kram?

                        Would that be a sales department?

                        Thanks.

                        Message 11 of 19 , Feb 1, 2008
                          Hi Jamie:

                          > Would that be a sales department?

                          That's what I would call it. "Obchod" is the same as "odbyt" for a
                          department and that's what you guys call 'sales'...

                          Message 12 of 19 , Feb 1, 2008
                            That's what I thought. Thanks.

                            Jamie

                            Message 13 of 19 , Feb 1, 2008
                              Another noun some companies use is "prodej" while the corresponding
                              adjectives are "obchodni", "odbytove", and "prodejni", respectively, for the
                              noun "oddeleni"...

                              Jirka Bolech

                              On Feb 1, 2008, at 8:39 AM, Jirka Bolech wrote:

                              > Hi Jamie:
                              >
                              > > Would that be a sales department?
                              >
                              > That's what I would call it. "Obchod" is the same as "odbyt" for a
                              > department and that's what you guys call 'sales'...
                              >
                              > Jirka Bolech

                              Translators' tricks of the trade:
                              http://czeng.wetpaint.com/

                              Yahoo! Groups Links
                              Message 14 of 19 , Feb 1, 2008
                                Thanks, Jirka.

                                Another question that's not resolved by any dictionary: Is "kredit"
                                ever used to mean credibility? I know this lady is not writing about
                                bad financial credit, but about a person's lack of believability. Is
                                that possible?

                                JK

                                On Feb 1, 2008, at 8:51 AM, Jirka Bolech wrote:

                                > Another noun some companies use is "prodej" while the corresponding
                                > adjectives are "obchodni", "odbytove", and "prodejni", respectively,
                                > for the
                                > noun "oddeleni"...
                                >
                                > Jirka Bolech

                              • Josef Hlavac
                                Message 15 of 19 , Feb 1, 2008
                                  > Another question that's not resolved by any dictionary: Is "kredit"
                                  > ever used to mean credibility? I know this lady is not writing about
                                  > bad financial credit, but about a person's lack of believability. Is
                                  > that possible?

                                  Yes, perfectly possible.

                                  You can even talk about a person having a "vysoky moralni kredit" (which
                                  I'd probably translate as a "high ethical standard"), and so on.

                                  Josef
                                • Jaroslav Hejzlar
                                  Message 16 of 19 , Feb 1, 2008
                                    Yes,
                                    that is quite frequent use of the word, although it is completely incorrect.
                                    Regards,
                                    Jarda

                                    Another question that's not resolved by any dictionary: Is "kredit"
                                    ever used to mean credibility? I know this lady is not writing about
                                    bad financial credit, but about a person's lack of believability. Is
                                    that possible?

                                    JK

                                    On Feb 1, 2008, at 8:51 AM, Jirka Bolech wrote:

                                    > Another noun some companies use is "prodej" while the corresponding
                                    > adjectives are "obchodni", "odbytove", and "prodejni", respectively,
                                    > for the
                                    > noun "oddeleni"...
                                    >
                                    > Jirka Bolech

                                  • Valerie Talacko
                                    Message 17 of 19 , Feb 1, 2008
                                      I meant the other way round - I knew you called trousers pants, but it was news to me that you also called them trousers.

                                      >Those lists usually contain differences that don't exist, and they don't list differences that do exist.

                                      Yes. It's also fair to say that at least 75% of the usually-unlisted ones occur in the realm of baby care!