Do you proofread your own stuff?

    Message 1 of 18 , Jan 2, 2008
      Since I seldom proofread other translators' work, this current job has
      gotten me wondering.

      Do you folks proofread your own stuff?

      I proofread my own translations before I send them to the assigned
      proofreader, so what the proofreaders get from me tends to be rather
      clean. Is this unusual?

      The current job arrived three days late, and is very sloppy. The
      translator copied and pasted various repetitive parts without fully
      noticing that they were not completely repetitive. I'm even having to
      correct font problems caused by the translator's OCR software, that
      should have been a quick fix on his end.

      Is this more the norm or the exception?

      Jamie
    • Romana Vlcek
      Message 2 of 18 , Jan 2, 2008
        Hello Jamie,

        This is certainly a matter of time. You never know, under which circumstances a translator is working. If you imagine someone with babies crying in their home, their dieing 18 years old dog begging for attention, their back hurting, the eyes burning, the marriage close to splitting up, other jobs sitting on the desk with pressing deadlines, too - then it is certainly imaginable that a translator decides just to do the most necessary basics and get rid of a job as quickly as possible, so the proofreader does the rest.

        Under "normal", peaceful and healthy circumstances, we all certainly agree that we should proofread our own work and send a spelling check through, before we pass it on.

        Best regards,
        Romana

        Since I seldom proofread other translators' work, this current job has
        gotten me wondering.

        Do you folks proofread your own stuff?

        I proofread my own translations before I send them to the assigned
        proofreader, so what the proofreaders get from me tends to be rather
        clean. Is this unusual?

        The current job arrived three days late, and is very sloppy. The
        translator copied and pasted various repetitive parts without fully
        noticing that they were not completely repetitive. I'm even having to
        correct font problems caused by the translator's OCR software, that
        should have been a quick fix on his end.

        Is this more the norm or the exception?

        Jamie

        __________ Information from ESET Smart Security, version of virus signature database 2740 (20071221) __________

        http://www.eset.com

      • Šárka Rubková
        Message 3 of 18 , Jan 5, 2008
          Hi Jamie,

          I proofread my translations. I cannot say always because there are some job
          where my customer wants to have the translation very quickly but, in such
          case, he is always warned that mistakes may occur in the translation.

          I would like to assure you that the translation you mentioned is the
          exception but I do not know. I usually cooperate with proven translators who
          have the same approach so I cannot talk on behalf of all.

          Sarka

          _____