Re: [Czechlist] Ruzne desky

    Message 1 of 18 , Jan 2, 2008
      On Jan 2, 2008, at 10:52 AM, Alena Rysková 2e wrote:

      > If all these "desky" are of wood, then I think they might be "mekka
      > drevovlaknita deska" or something similar. Seems that the translator
      > did not know what it was and left the abbr as it was.

      So fiber board. Thanks very much, Alena.

      Message 2 of 18 , Jan 2, 2008
        Thanks, Matej. Very good information. I'd assumed they were wider
        pieces, so I'm going with panels.

        And thanks to everyone else I haven't thanked -- Sarka, Martin, Honza
        and Iveta.

        Message 3 of 18 , Jan 2, 2008
          Since I seldom proofread other translators' work, this current job has
          gotten me wondering.

          Do you folks proofread your own stuff?

          I proofread my own translations before I send them to the assigned
          proofreader, so what the proofreaders get from me tends to be rather
          clean. Is this unusual?

          The current job arrived three days late, and is very sloppy. The
          translator copied and pasted various repetitive parts without fully
          noticing that they were not completely repetitive. I'm even having to
          correct font problems caused by the translator's OCR software, that
          should have been a quick fix on his end.

          Is this more the norm or the exception?

          Jamie
        • Romana Vlcek
          Message 4 of 18 , Jan 2, 2008
            Hello Jamie,

            This is certainly a matter of time. You never know, under which circumstances a translator is working. If you imagine someone with babies crying in their home, their dieing 18 years old dog begging for attention, their back hurting, the eyes burning, the marriage close to splitting up, other jobs sitting on the desk with pressing deadlines, too - then it is certainly imaginable that a translator decides just to do the most necessary basics and get rid of a job as quickly as possible, so the proofreader does the rest.

            Under "normal", peaceful and healthy circumstances, we all certainly agree that we should proofread our own work and send a spelling check through, before we pass it on.

            Best regards,
            Romana

            Since I seldom proofread other translators' work, this current job has
            gotten me wondering.

            Do you folks proofread your own stuff?

            I proofread my own translations before I send them to the assigned
            proofreader, so what the proofreaders get from me tends to be rather
            clean. Is this unusual?

            The current job arrived three days late, and is very sloppy. The
            translator copied and pasted various repetitive parts without fully
            noticing that they were not completely repetitive. I'm even having to
            correct font problems caused by the translator's OCR software, that
            should have been a quick fix on his end.

            Is this more the norm or the exception?

            Jamie

            __________ Information from ESET Smart Security, version of virus signature database 2740 (20071221) __________

            http://www.eset.com

          • Šárka Rubková
            Message 5 of 18 , Jan 5, 2008
              Hi Jamie,

              I proofread my translations. I cannot say always because there are some job
              where my customer wants to have the translation very quickly but, in such
              case, he is always warned that mistakes may occur in the translation.

              I would like to assure you that the translation you mentioned is the
              exception but I do not know. I usually cooperate with proven translators who
              have the same approach so I cannot talk on behalf of all.

              Sarka

              _____