Re: [Czechlist] Ruzne desky

    Message 1 of 18 , Jan 2, 2008
      On Jan 2, 2008, at 10:48 AM, Josef Hlavac wrote:

      > "Desky" can also refer to a paper or plastic folder (or a protective
      > cover) for storing and organizing documents. Perhaps the translator
      > looked up the word in a dictionary without bothering about the
      > context.
      > Does the overall quality of the translation support this hypothesis?

      Yes. I can figure out from Czech daily life why he translated various
      words as he did. He translates "zasilka" as "parcel" even when it
      refers to bulk shipments of resins and other loose material in ships,
      probably because he sees the "zasilky" window at the post office. My
      favorite one is that he translates the "vlozka" in the obchodni
      rejstrik as "pad". This is funny to me, because what in English is
      called a menstrual pad is called "vlozka" in Czech. Many English
      pads are Czech vlozky, because they are inserted somewhere.

      Thanks very much, Josef.

      Message 2 of 18 , Jan 2, 2008
        On Jan 2, 2008, at 10:52 AM, Alena Rysková 2e wrote:

        > If all these "desky" are of wood, then I think they might be "mekka
        > drevovlaknita deska" or something similar. Seems that the translator
        > did not know what it was and left the abbr as it was.

        So fiber board. Thanks very much, Alena.

        Message 3 of 18 , Jan 2, 2008
          Thanks, Matej. Very good information. I'd assumed they were wider
          pieces, so I'm going with panels.

          And thanks to everyone else I haven't thanked -- Sarka, Martin, Honza
          and Iveta.

          Message 4 of 18 , Jan 2, 2008
            Since I seldom proofread other translators' work, this current job has
            gotten me wondering.

            Do you folks proofread your own stuff?

            I proofread my own translations before I send them to the assigned
            proofreader, so what the proofreaders get from me tends to be rather
            clean. Is this unusual?

            The current job arrived three days late, and is very sloppy. The
            translator copied and pasted various repetitive parts without fully
            noticing that they were not completely repetitive. I'm even having to
            correct font problems caused by the translator's OCR software, that
            should have been a quick fix on his end.

            Is this more the norm or the exception?

            Jamie
          • Romana Vlcek
            Message 5 of 18 , Jan 2, 2008
              Hello Jamie,

              This is certainly a matter of time. You never know, under which circumstances a translator is working. If you imagine someone with babies crying in their home, their dieing 18 years old dog begging for attention, their back hurting, the eyes burning, the marriage close to splitting up, other jobs sitting on the desk with pressing deadlines, too - then it is certainly imaginable that a translator decides just to do the most necessary basics and get rid of a job as quickly as possible, so the proofreader does the rest.

              Under "normal", peaceful and healthy circumstances, we all certainly agree that we should proofread our own work and send a spelling check through, before we pass it on.

              Best regards,
              Romana

              Since I seldom proofread other translators' work, this current job has
              gotten me wondering.

              Do you folks proofread your own stuff?

              I proofread my own translations before I send them to the assigned
              proofreader, so what the proofreaders get from me tends to be rather
              clean. Is this unusual?

              The current job arrived three days late, and is very sloppy. The
              translator copied and pasted various repetitive parts without fully
              noticing that they were not completely repetitive. I'm even having to
              correct font problems caused by the translator's OCR software, that
              should have been a quick fix on his end.

              Is this more the norm or the exception?

              Jamie

              __________ Information from ESET Smart Security, version of virus signature database 2740 (20071221) __________

              http://www.eset.com

            • Šárka Rubková
              Message 6 of 18 , Jan 5, 2008
                Hi Jamie,

                I proofread my translations. I cannot say always because there are some job
                where my customer wants to have the translation very quickly but, in such
                case, he is always warned that mistakes may occur in the translation.

                I would like to assure you that the translation you mentioned is the
                exception but I do not know. I usually cooperate with proven translators who
                have the same approach so I cannot talk on behalf of all.

                Sarka

                _____