Re: [Czechlist] Ruzne desky

    Message 1 of 18 , Jan 2, 2008
      Happy proofread, Jamie,

      things made of wood translated as files sound like lot of fun...

      pracovni deska is a counter top, i.e. what sits on top of your kitchen cabinets, in 99% of cases is CZ

      MDS must be a typo for MDF, which I think is used in English in professional context as well, otherwise plain old chipboard

      Re the third question, it's difficult to come up with an all-encompassing definition, as with all things Czech, there are a lot of exceptions, but generally:

      - a piece of wood (rectangular cross-section, say 1 by 3 in) that comes out of a saw mill is PRKNO
      - an extremely wide piece of wood (2 by 10 in) ditto MAY be called a deska, but is technically a prkno, FOSNA being the synonymum, but reserved for larger chunks (or less finelly sawn) such as this
      - someting more substantial, like a 2 by 4, or any other cross-section whose two dimensions are closer to each other is TRAMEK, TRAM
      (all above are solid wood, of course)

      - DESKA is typically something much wider, i.e. 60 cm wide and 3-6 cm thick, which by definition has to be fabricated, i.e. glued out of solid chunks of wood (lepena, cink, cink means the chunks are glued to each other to form a strip the length of the board..), or chopped up wood (like chipboard) with veneer or plastic glued to the surface

      So a DESKA would typically be something fabricated (glued etc. as opposed to just sawn off a log), but in some cases, individual planks can be referred to as deska as well (especially if we're talking dialects and/or professional slang)...

      Confused? DONT' WORRY!, in your context (a price list of wooden products by the sound of it), a DESKA will almost certainly be the wider-and-not-solid-chunk-of-wood type of thing

      I would personaly call them boards, with some additional characteristic (laminated, chipbopard, etc) thrown in.. panels are usually rectangular things used to cover something up (false ceilings, wall lining) and they have usually have a specific shape/surface.., but again, some of those things may be called a DESKA in come contexts in Czech, most probably not in yours though..

      Hope this helps

      Matej

      Message 2 of 18 , Jan 2, 2008
        On Jan 2, 2008, at 10:48 AM, Josef Hlavac wrote:

        > "Desky" can also refer to a paper or plastic folder (or a protective
        > cover) for storing and organizing documents. Perhaps the translator
        > looked up the word in a dictionary without bothering about the
        > context.
        > Does the overall quality of the translation support this hypothesis?

        Yes. I can figure out from Czech daily life why he translated various
        words as he did. He translates "zasilka" as "parcel" even when it
        refers to bulk shipments of resins and other loose material in ships,
        probably because he sees the "zasilky" window at the post office. My
        favorite one is that he translates the "vlozka" in the obchodni
        rejstrik as "pad". This is funny to me, because what in English is
        called a menstrual pad is called "vlozka" in Czech. Many English
        pads are Czech vlozky, because they are inserted somewhere.

        Thanks very much, Josef.

        Message 3 of 18 , Jan 2, 2008
          On Jan 2, 2008, at 10:52 AM, Alena Rysková 2e wrote:

          > If all these "desky" are of wood, then I think they might be "mekka
          > drevovlaknita deska" or something similar. Seems that the translator
          > did not know what it was and left the abbr as it was.

          So fiber board. Thanks very much, Alena.

          Message 4 of 18 , Jan 2, 2008
            Thanks, Matej. Very good information. I'd assumed they were wider
            pieces, so I'm going with panels.

            And thanks to everyone else I haven't thanked -- Sarka, Martin, Honza
            and Iveta.

            Message 5 of 18 , Jan 2, 2008
              Since I seldom proofread other translators' work, this current job has
              gotten me wondering.

              Do you folks proofread your own stuff?

              I proofread my own translations before I send them to the assigned
              proofreader, so what the proofreaders get from me tends to be rather
              clean. Is this unusual?

              The current job arrived three days late, and is very sloppy. The
              translator copied and pasted various repetitive parts without fully
              noticing that they were not completely repetitive. I'm even having to
              correct font problems caused by the translator's OCR software, that
              should have been a quick fix on his end.

              Is this more the norm or the exception?

              Jamie
            • Romana Vlcek
              Message 6 of 18 , Jan 2, 2008
                Hello Jamie,

                This is certainly a matter of time. You never know, under which circumstances a translator is working. If you imagine someone with babies crying in their home, their dieing 18 years old dog begging for attention, their back hurting, the eyes burning, the marriage close to splitting up, other jobs sitting on the desk with pressing deadlines, too - then it is certainly imaginable that a translator decides just to do the most necessary basics and get rid of a job as quickly as possible, so the proofreader does the rest.

                Under "normal", peaceful and healthy circumstances, we all certainly agree that we should proofread our own work and send a spelling check through, before we pass it on.

                Best regards,
                Romana

                Since I seldom proofread other translators' work, this current job has
                gotten me wondering.

                Do you folks proofread your own stuff?

                I proofread my own translations before I send them to the assigned
                proofreader, so what the proofreaders get from me tends to be rather
                clean. Is this unusual?

                The current job arrived three days late, and is very sloppy. The
                translator copied and pasted various repetitive parts without fully
                noticing that they were not completely repetitive. I'm even having to
                correct font problems caused by the translator's OCR software, that
                should have been a quick fix on his end.

                Is this more the norm or the exception?

                Jamie

                __________ Information from ESET Smart Security, version of virus signature database 2740 (20071221) __________

                http://www.eset.com

              • Šárka Rubková
                Message 7 of 18 , Jan 5, 2008
                  Hi Jamie,

                  I proofread my translations. I cannot say always because there are some job
                  where my customer wants to have the translation very quickly but, in such
                  case, he is always warned that mistakes may occur in the translation.

                  I would like to assure you that the translation you mentioned is the
                  exception but I do not know. I usually cooperate with proven translators who
                  have the same approach so I cannot talk on behalf of all.

                  Sarka

                  _____