Re: [Czechlist] TERM: nahradni plneni

  • Jaroslav Hejzlar
    Message 1 of 18 , Jan 2, 2008
      Hi, Gerry and Jamie!
      Thanks a lot for your prompt reply. I like your suggestion very much. Well, you are right, Jamie, but such is life!
      Have a nice day.
      Jarda
      Message 2 of 18 , Jan 2, 2008
        Hap-hap-happity New Year, folks!

        I've got a question about different types of "desky".

        "Pracovni desky" - These seem to be counter tops or work surfaces,
        right?

        "MDS-desky" - I can't find this anywhere. I can't even find MDS.

        When "desky" are mentioned among various wood-related products for
        shipping, would you call them "boards" or "panels"? In the US,
        sometimes we even call panels OR boards in that situation.

        I've got a translation to proofread in which the translator keeps
        referring to "desky" as "files". So "lamino desky" is rendered as
        "laminated files", and "pracovni desky" he has as "work files". This
        sounds impossible to me, especially considering that these things are
        being lumped together with flooring products.

        Any help would be appreciated.

        Jamie
      • Josef Hlavac
        Message 3 of 18 , Jan 2, 2008
          Hiya,

          > "Pracovni desky" - These seem to be counter tops or work surfaces,
          > right?

          Right.

          > "MDS-desky" - I can't find this anywhere. I can't even find MDS.

          No idea.

          > When "desky" are mentioned among various wood-related products for
          > shipping, would you call them "boards" or "panels"? In the US,
          > sometimes we even call panels OR boards in that situation.

          Yes.

          > I've got a translation to proofread in which the translator keeps
          > referring to "desky" as "files". So "lamino desky" is rendered as
          > "laminated files", and "pracovni desky" he has as "work files". This
          > sounds impossible to me, especially considering that these things are
          > being lumped together with flooring products.

          "Desky" can also refer to a paper or plastic folder (or a protective
          cover) for storing and organizing documents. Perhaps the translator
          looked up the word in a dictionary without bothering about the context.
          Does the overall quality of the translation support this hypothesis?

          Josef
        • Alena Rysková 2e
          Message 4 of 18 , Jan 2, 2008
            If all these "desky" are of wood, then I think they might be "mekka drevovlaknita deska" or something similar. Seems that the translator did not know what it was and left the abbr as it was.
            Alena

            Message 5 of 18 , Jan 2, 2008
              Happy New Year!

              I agree with the idea of folders = files.

              MDS - we called it "drevotriskova deska" before, I am not sure where MDS acronym originated ...
              But MDS has completely replaced drevotriska nowadays, in fact I don´t know whether it is the same material or not.

              Honza

              Message 6 of 18 , Jan 2, 2008
                Happy proofread, Jamie,

                things made of wood translated as files sound like lot of fun...

                pracovni deska is a counter top, i.e. what sits on top of your kitchen cabinets, in 99% of cases is CZ

                MDS must be a typo for MDF, which I think is used in English in professional context as well, otherwise plain old chipboard

                Re the third question, it's difficult to come up with an all-encompassing definition, as with all things Czech, there are a lot of exceptions, but generally:

                - a piece of wood (rectangular cross-section, say 1 by 3 in) that comes out of a saw mill is PRKNO
                - an extremely wide piece of wood (2 by 10 in) ditto MAY be called a deska, but is technically a prkno, FOSNA being the synonymum, but reserved for larger chunks (or less finelly sawn) such as this
                - someting more substantial, like a 2 by 4, or any other cross-section whose two dimensions are closer to each other is TRAMEK, TRAM
                (all above are solid wood, of course)

                - DESKA is typically something much wider, i.e. 60 cm wide and 3-6 cm thick, which by definition has to be fabricated, i.e. glued out of solid chunks of wood (lepena, cink, cink means the chunks are glued to each other to form a strip the length of the board..), or chopped up wood (like chipboard) with veneer or plastic glued to the surface

                So a DESKA would typically be something fabricated (glued etc. as opposed to just sawn off a log), but in some cases, individual planks can be referred to as deska as well (especially if we're talking dialects and/or professional slang)...

                Confused? DONT' WORRY!, in your context (a price list of wooden products by the sound of it), a DESKA will almost certainly be the wider-and-not-solid-chunk-of-wood type of thing

                I would personaly call them boards, with some additional characteristic (laminated, chipbopard, etc) thrown in.. panels are usually rectangular things used to cover something up (false ceilings, wall lining) and they have usually have a specific shape/surface.., but again, some of those things may be called a DESKA in come contexts in Czech, most probably not in yours though..

                Hope this helps

                Matej

                I've got a question about different types of "desky".

                "Pracovni desky" - These seem to be counter tops or work surfaces,
                right?

                "MDS-desky" - I can't find this anywhere. I can't even find MDS.

                When "desky" are mentioned among various wood-related products for
                shipping, would you call them "boards" or "panels"? In the US,
                sometimes we even call panels OR boards in that situation.

                I've got a translation to proofread in which the translator keeps
                referring to "desky" as "files". So "lamino desky" is rendered as
                "laminated files", and "pracovni desky" he has as "work files". This
                sounds impossible to me, especially considering that these things are
                being lumped together with flooring products.

                Any help would be appreciated.

              • Iveta Pecinkova - prekladatelsky servis
                Message 7 of 18 , Jan 2, 2008
                  Hi Jamie,
                  here you can find information about MDS and other types of panels, including their size etc.
                  http://www.finnforest.cz/osbmdflat/mdf.html

                  Iveta

                  Message 8 of 18 , Jan 2, 2008
                    Jamie,

                    Are you sure all these desky are wooden? Lamino desky might be easily a
                    kind of plastic binder as well. As to MDS, that reminds me of a binder
                    with MSDS sheets... Just a wild guess, I know.

                    Martin

                    Alena Rysková 2e napsal(a):

                    > If all these "desky" are of wood, then I think they might be "mekka
                    > drevovlaknita deska" or something similar. Seems that the translator did
                    > not know what it was and left the abbr as it was.
                    > Alena

                  • Šárka Rubková
                    Message 9 of 18 , Jan 2, 2008
                      Hi Jamie,

                      "pracovn� desky" - you are right

                      "MDS desky" - never herd of them, however there are "MDF desky" that are
                      made of wood chips compressed together and bond by some binding agent.

                      I would translace desky as pannels because boards in British English are 5cm
                      planks.

                      Sarka

                      _____

                      Message 10 of 18 , Jan 2, 2008
                        On Jan 2, 2008, at 10:48 AM, Josef Hlavac wrote:

                        > "Desky" can also refer to a paper or plastic folder (or a protective
                        > cover) for storing and organizing documents. Perhaps the translator
                        > looked up the word in a dictionary without bothering about the
                        > context.
                        > Does the overall quality of the translation support this hypothesis?

                        Yes. I can figure out from Czech daily life why he translated various
                        words as he did. He translates "zasilka" as "parcel" even when it
                        refers to bulk shipments of resins and other loose material in ships,
                        probably because he sees the "zasilky" window at the post office. My
                        favorite one is that he translates the "vlozka" in the obchodni
                        rejstrik as "pad". This is funny to me, because what in English is
                        called a menstrual pad is called "vlozka" in Czech. Many English
                        pads are Czech vlozky, because they are inserted somewhere.

                        Thanks very much, Josef.

                        Message 11 of 18 , Jan 2, 2008
                          On Jan 2, 2008, at 10:52 AM, Alena Rysková 2e wrote:

                          > If all these "desky" are of wood, then I think they might be "mekka
                          > drevovlaknita deska" or something similar. Seems that the translator
                          > did not know what it was and left the abbr as it was.

                          So fiber board. Thanks very much, Alena.

                          Message 12 of 18 , Jan 2, 2008
                            Thanks, Matej. Very good information. I'd assumed they were wider
                            pieces, so I'm going with panels.

                            And thanks to everyone else I haven't thanked -- Sarka, Martin, Honza
                            and Iveta.

                            Message 13 of 18 , Jan 2, 2008
                              Since I seldom proofread other translators' work, this current job has
                              gotten me wondering.

                              Do you folks proofread your own stuff?

                              I proofread my own translations before I send them to the assigned
                              proofreader, so what the proofreaders get from me tends to be rather
                              clean. Is this unusual?

                              The current job arrived three days late, and is very sloppy. The
                              translator copied and pasted various repetitive parts without fully
                              noticing that they were not completely repetitive. I'm even having to
                              correct font problems caused by the translator's OCR software, that
                              should have been a quick fix on his end.

                              Is this more the norm or the exception?

                              Jamie
                            • Romana Vlcek
                              Message 14 of 18 , Jan 2, 2008
                                Hello Jamie,

                                This is certainly a matter of time. You never know, under which circumstances a translator is working. If you imagine someone with babies crying in their home, their dieing 18 years old dog begging for attention, their back hurting, the eyes burning, the marriage close to splitting up, other jobs sitting on the desk with pressing deadlines, too - then it is certainly imaginable that a translator decides just to do the most necessary basics and get rid of a job as quickly as possible, so the proofreader does the rest.

                                Under "normal", peaceful and healthy circumstances, we all certainly agree that we should proofread our own work and send a spelling check through, before we pass it on.

                                Best regards,
                                Romana

                                Since I seldom proofread other translators' work, this current job has
                                gotten me wondering.

                                Do you folks proofread your own stuff?

                                I proofread my own translations before I send them to the assigned
                                proofreader, so what the proofreaders get from me tends to be rather
                                clean. Is this unusual?

                                The current job arrived three days late, and is very sloppy. The
                                translator copied and pasted various repetitive parts without fully
                                noticing that they were not completely repetitive. I'm even having to
                                correct font problems caused by the translator's OCR software, that
                                should have been a quick fix on his end.

                                Is this more the norm or the exception?

                                Jamie

                                __________ Information from ESET Smart Security, version of virus signature database 2740 (20071221) __________

                                http://www.eset.com

                              • Šárka Rubková
                                Message 15 of 18 , Jan 5, 2008
                                  Hi Jamie,

                                  I proofread my translations. I cannot say always because there are some job
                                  where my customer wants to have the translation very quickly but, in such
                                  case, he is always warned that mistakes may occur in the translation.

                                  I would like to assure you that the translation you mentioned is the
                                  exception but I do not know. I usually cooperate with proven translators who
                                  have the same approach so I cannot talk on behalf of all.

                                  Sarka

                                  _____