Re: [Czechlist] Re: TERM: geometric shape

    Message 1 of 15 , Dec 7, 2007
      It depends on whether you are looking for a common name - something normal
      people call it (the athletic track) - then it indeed is oval in both CZ and
      eng, if you're looking for an exact geometric name, I'm affraid there isn't
      one - at least I can't remember one from all my years of the feared
      descriptive geometry...

      Re the oval office, I don't know its exacxt shape, but Americans are known
      to use simplified names for things, aftre all, the elliptical office would
      sound a bit strange and have connotations its occupant might not wish for

      There might be a compound name for the shape - as in "obdelnik s ovalnymi
      konci", but that isn't exactly a geometric name and I can't think of a
      better way to define it..

      Message 2 of 15 , Dec 7, 2007
        As Matej says, you can hardly describe the shape of the *whole of
        stadium* in geometrical terms.
        But maybe you can coin a new one - how about stadionoid? :-)

        But seriously, if you explain the *context* of your problem, perhaps we
        can help - I am afraid there is no help with your existing question.

        hth
        Martin

        Jirka Bolech napsal(a):
        > Ahoj Zdenku
        >
        >> Geometricky to je asi polovina prstence, atleti tomu myslím říkají
        > zatáčka.
        >
        > Ja mam ale na mysli tvar _celeho_ stadionu, lepe receno stadionove bezecke
        > drahy. Tedy uprostred obdelnik a po kratsich stranach poloviny kruhu...
        >
        > Jirka Bolech

      • Zdenek Mikan
        Message 3 of 15 , Dec 7, 2007
          Sorry, celý ten tvar je ovál - to je takový neurčitý výraz, že může
          označovat buď totéž co elipsa nebo i tenhle tvar ze dvou polokružnic a
          obdélníka.

          Zdeněk M

        • bednarski@centrum.cz
          Message 4 of 15 , Dec 7, 2007
            Ve Wordu, na panelu Kresleni - Automaticke tvary je tento tvar (jeslti jsem spravne pochopil popis) nazvan "zaobleny obdelnik" (ted mozna staci zjistit, jak se jmenuje v anglicke verzi Wordu).

            Martin B.

            Message 5 of 15 , Dec 7, 2007
              zaobleny obdelnik je obdelnik se zaoblenymi rohy, tohle je obdelnik, ktery ma misto kratsich stran pulkruznice,,, kdyby atleti behali po obdelniku se zaoblenymi rohy tak se v zatacce prelomi..

              Message 6 of 15 , Dec 7, 2007
                A rounded rectangle is shown here:
                http://mathworld.wolfram.com/RoundedRectangle.html

                A(n elongated) stadium shape?
                http://mathworld.wolfram.com/Stadium.html

                An athletics track shape? :-)
                Further, a shaft insertion hole 64 which has a substantially oval
                shape (athletics track shape)
                www.patentstorm.us/patents/7008068-description.html

                Or run these through Google images:
                Elongated oval.

                Ovoid rectangle.

                :-)

                Message 7 of 15 , Dec 7, 2007
                  > A(n elongated) stadium shape?
                  http://mathworld.wolfram.com/Stadium.html

                  Bingo! The name of the shape is 'stadium'. How obvious now!

                  > Elongated oval.

                  > Ovoid rectangle.

                  Interesting!

                  Thanks Melvyn and all the other guys who have contributed a ton of posts:
                  Coilin, Gerry, Zdenek, Matej, and two Martins.

                  V cestine si nejsem jisty, ale "oval" se pouziva, i mezi sportovci.

                  Ja to potrebuji pro oznaceni dilu, ktery ma tento tvar, do strojniho
                  zarizeni. Je to z plechu...

                  P.S.: Melv, I still owe you thanks for the post on teaching material for my
                  one-to-one classes. I'll get back to it when I spare a bit of time.