Re: [Czechlist] Help: a couple of (inevitable) menu items

  • Gmail
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 4, 2007
      Hi Coilin,

      1) "svickova panenka" is the best and most expensive part of pork.

      Zuzana Slanska

      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 5, 2007
        It's two long cylindrical pieces, about 4 cm in diameter, that run along the spine in the neck area, delicious..

        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 5, 2007
          Thank you, Sarka, Zuzka and Matej for your help.
          FYI, it seems "cylindrical (potato) croquettes" can be used for
          "valeckove krokety" (at least if the very detailed Wikipedia article
          on croquettes is to be believed... I wonder if that's the sort of
          thing you'd find in a "proper" encyclopaedia...?)
          Brgds
          Coilin
          --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, ©árka Rubková <rubkova@...> wrote:

          > Hi Coilin,
          >
          > answers to your questions:
          >
          > 1) no idea - if it is pork or beef
          > 2) it is a typo - not falírovaný but filírovaný (filírovat - means
          cutting
          > of fillets from meat but also oranges or grapfruits (slang of
          professional
          > cooks)
          > 3) yes - I do not know if these is any English term for them
          >
          > Sarka
          >
          > _____

          On Behalf
          > Of coilinoc
          > Sent: Wednesday, December 05, 2007 1:54 AM
          > To: Czechlist@yahoogroups.com
          > Subject: [Czechlist] Help: a couple of (inevitable) menu items
          >

          > Hi there,
          >
          > I'm doing yet another menu, and I was wondering if I could pick your
          > brains on one or two things.
          >
          > 1) The first thing is listed under "staroceska kuchyne": "Rychtarova
          > masova smes ze svickove panenky a kurecich prsou"
          > Does anyone know what exactly is meant by "svickova panenka"? (FWIW,
          > in my experience "svickova" is usually "beef sirloin" and "panenka" is
          > "pork tenderloin".) My question is what meat and what cut is a
          > "svickova panenka"...?
          >
          > 2)Caesar salat s falirovanym kurecim prsickem - Does anyone know what
          > exactly has been done to the chicken breast (falirovany???)
          >
          > 3) Valeckove krokety - I gather that these are the elongated potato
          > croquettes as opposed to the round, ball-shaped ones. Does anyone know
          > if we have a specific word for these in English ("potato fingers"???)
          > or do we just call them "potato croquettes"?
          >
          > MTIA
          >
          > COilin

        • Jennifer Hejtmánková
          Message 4 of 6 , Dec 5, 2007
            I think it would look funny to see "cylindrical croquettes" on a menu,
            and think that "potato fingers" would sound at least somewhat nicer :)

            Regards,
            Jennifer