Re:[Czechlist] HELP: bramborove puky

  • siebergeko
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 12, 2007
      I just asked my resident Czech-Slovak culinary expert, Vera, if she knew anything about "bramborove puky". To hear her describe them, I'm not sure that "tater tots" would be such a good translation. She describes confections make of flour and potatoes, with a bunch of other ingredients, and which can be both sweet and salty. She tells me that you can put sugar on them, cocoa powder, and the like. They seem to be a catch-all term for any confection that would answer to a potato puff, but with the difference that the term "potato puff" never refers to anything the least bit sweet in the US where I come from.

      Robert M.

      > Od: coilinoc <coilinoc@...>
      > Předmět: [Czechlist] HELP: bramborove puky
      > Datum: 12.11.2007 18:17:10
      > Hi there,
      > Does anybody have any idea what "smazene bramborove puky" could be?
      > There doesn't seem to a single google hit for this, so I suspect the
      > client made it up himself. What do Czech NSers make of it? (fried
      > potato puffs??!!)
      > MTIA
      > Coilin
    • coilinoc
      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 14, 2007
        Thanks everyone for your suggestions.
        It seems that in this instance they were ice hockey pucs, i.e. potato
        (pan)cakes.
        Coilin