Re: Help: zadavatel

  • coilinoc
    Message 1 of 18 , Nov 5, 2007
      You're right, it's basically an individual researcher. She's in charge
      of "zahajeni, rizeni, provadeni a hodnoceni studie dle zak c. 79/1997
      Sb. o lecivech."
      I've thought of maybe using something long-winded like "the party
      commissioning the study", but I was just afraid that as it seems to be
      a term that is enshrined in the legislation so to speak there might
      be a standard English "trade links" style translation for it somewhere...
      If not, "coordinator" might work though
      Coilin

      --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, "tomas_barendregt" <barendregt@...>
      wrote:

      > --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, "coilinoc" <coilinoc@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Thanks for your reply, Tom. Unfortunately, it seems to be almost the
      > > opposite to what you are suggesting. My context is a sponsorship
      > > agreement and the party who is being sponsored to conduct the study is
      > > called the zadavatel studie. Naturally the other party is defined as
      > > the "financni podporovatel (sponzor) studie".
      > > Explicit reference is made to the fact that the sponsor is not the
      > > zadavatel as per the Act on Pharmeceuticals.
      > > I guess you can see now why I'm a little stumped...:-(
      > > Coilin
      > >

      > No kidding! This seems counterintuitive to me. I assume then that this
      > "zadavatel" is not the actual facility that carries out the study
      > (which would be a "study site" or some such thing) but rather some
      > entity between the sponsor (which I assume is the drug company trying
      > to get its drug evaluated) and the actual sites where the study is
      > conducted. Could it than be "coordinator" or "facilitator" or
      > something like that? I suppose I should actually take a look at the
      > Act on Pharmaceuticals to make a more educated guess...
      >
      > Tom

    • tomas_barendregt
      Message 2 of 18 , Nov 5, 2007
        --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, "coilinoc" <coilinoc@...> wrote:

        > You're right, it's basically an individual researcher. She's in charge
        > of "zahajeni, rizeni, provadeni a hodnoceni studie dle zak c. 79/1997
        > Sb. o lecivech."
        > I've thought of maybe using something long-winded like "the party
        > commissioning the study", but I was just afraid that as it seems to be
        > a term that is enshrined in the legislation so to speak there might
        > be a standard English "trade links" style translation for it
        somewhere...
        > If not, "coordinator" might work though
        > Coilin

        I took a look at the zakon (79/1997) and did not really find a good
        clue there. It seems it only mentions a "zkousejici" (who I would call
        "investigator") and "zadavatel" which, again, I would think is
        "sponsor". The Act itself does not mention "sponzor" so I am not
        exactly sure what this entity really is...

        From translating study-related texts into Czech, I remember there are
        sometimes "primary investigators" - could this be the "zadavatel" in
        your case? These are probably some head physicians collecting input
        from individual investigators/sites.

        Tom
        Message 3 of 18 , Nov 5, 2007
          Well, unless it features somewhere else, I'd go fo applicant here

          Message 4 of 18 , Nov 5, 2007
            Coilin, can you copy and paste the relevant part(s)?

            Martin

            Matej Klimes napsal(a):

            > Well, unless it features somewhere else, I'd go fo applicant here

          • coilinoc
            Message 5 of 18 , Nov 5, 2007
              --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, Martin Janda <mjanda@...> wrote:

              > Coilin, can you copy and paste the relevant part(s)?

              Hi Martin,
              here is the offending paragraph:

              Jedna se o vyslovne v bodu dva uvedenou studii vyzkumníka, ktery je
              jejim zadavatelem a XXX podporuje tuto studii jako financni sponzor, a
              neni zodpovedny za zahajeni, rizeni, provedeni a vyhodnoceni této
              studie. XXX nebude v souvislosti s vyse uvedenou vyzkumnou cinnosti
              udelovat vyzkumnikovi zadné prime instrukce, a take jinak nebude
              uplatnovat primy vliv na prubeh vyzkumu u vyzkumnika.

              And here is the "point two above" which the text refers to:

              XXX bude podporovat výzkumnou činnost po obdobi od listopad 2007 do
              cervna 2008 a zavazuje se poskytnout prispěvek uvedeny v § 3 této
              smlouvy. Vyzkumnik se zavazuje tyto prispevky pouzit vylucne pro vyse
              uvedenou studii. Naklady prevysujici prispevek na studii uhradi
              vylucne vyzkumnik.

              Incidentally, is there any reason why "prispevek" can suddenly become
              "prispevky" in the second sentence or is it a mistake...?

              Many thanks again
              Coilin

              Message 6 of 18 , Nov 5, 2007
                Hi Coilin again,

                Looks like this is either a poorly translated text from English, or the
                writer is a bit behind the current terminology. Anyway, I would suggest
                the following:

                vyzkumnik - Principal Investigator (... who commissioned the study)
                sponzor - Sponsor
                prispevek = prispevky (IMHO no distinction intended)

                hth
                Martin

                coilinoc napsal(a):

                > Martin Janda <mjanda@...> wrote:
                > >
                > > Coilin, can you copy and paste the relevant part(s)?
                >
                > Hi Martin,
                > here is the offending paragraph:
                >
                > Jedna se o vyslovne v bodu dva uvedenou studii vyzkumníka, ktery je
                > jejim zadavatelem a XXX podporuje tuto studii jako financni sponzor, a
                > neni zodpovedny za zahajeni, rizeni, provedeni a vyhodnoceni této
                > studie. XXX nebude v souvislosti s vyse uvedenou vyzkumnou cinnosti
                > udelovat vyzkumnikovi zadné prime instrukce, a take jinak nebude
                > uplatnovat primy vliv na prubeh vyzkumu u vyzkumnika.
                >
                > And here is the "point two above" which the text refers to:
                >
                > XXX bude podporovat výzkumnou činnost po obdobi od listopad 2007 do
                > cervna 2008 a zavazuje se poskytnout prispěvek uvedeny v § 3 této
                > smlouvy. Vyzkumnik se zavazuje tyto prispevky pouzit vylucne pro vyse
                > uvedenou studii. Naklady prevysujici prispevek na studii uhradi
                > vylucne vyzkumnik.
                >
                > Incidentally, is there any reason why "prispevek" can suddenly become
                > "prispevky" in the second sentence or is it a mistake...?
                >
                > Many thanks again
                > Coilin
                >
                > > Martin
                > >
                > > Matej Klimes napsal(a):
                > > >
                > > > Well, unless it features somewhere else, I'd go fo applicant here

              • coilinoc
                Message 7 of 18 , Nov 6, 2007
                  Thanks, Martin (and Tom and Matej)
                  Coilin

                  Message 8 of 18 , Nov 6, 2007
                    I haven't looked at the whole thread - I assumed from your sample that zadavatel was the company making the drug and then requesting SUKL to approve it - I think I have encountered this and solved it with applicant before... but your situation is probably different..

                    Message 9 of 18 , Nov 6, 2007
                      I know I am rather late and I did not follow this - but there is a standard
                      translation for
                      principal investigator - hlavni zkušející
                      sponsor - zadavatel
                      Sabina

                      coilinoc napsal(a):

                      > Martin Janda <mjanda@...> wrote:
                      > >
                      > > Coilin, can you copy and paste the relevant part(s)?
                      >
                      > Hi Martin,
                      > here is the offending paragraph:
                      >
                      > Jedna se o vyslovne v bodu dva uvedenou studii vyzkumníka, ktery je
                      > jejim zadavatelem a XXX podporuje tuto studii jako financni sponzor, a
                      > neni zodpovedny za zahajeni, rizeni, provedeni a vyhodnoceni této
                      > studie. XXX nebude v souvislosti s vyse uvedenou vyzkumnou cinnosti
                      > udelovat vyzkumnikovi zadné prime instrukce, a take jinak nebude
                      > uplatnovat primy vliv na prubeh vyzkumu u vyzkumnika.
                      >
                      > And here is the "point two above" which the text refers to:
                      >
                      > XXX bude podporovat výzkumnou činnost po obdobi od listopad 2007 do
                      > cervna 2008 a zavazuje se poskytnout prispěvek uvedeny v § 3 této
                      > smlouvy. Vyzkumnik se zavazuje tyto prispevky pouzit vylucne pro vyse
                      > uvedenou studii. Naklady prevysujici prispevek na studii uhradi
                      > vylucne vyzkumnik.
                      >
                      > Incidentally, is there any reason why "prispevek" can suddenly become
                      > "prispevky" in the second sentence or is it a mistake...?
                      >
                      > Many thanks again
                      > Coilin
                      >
                      > > Martin
                      > >
                      > > Matej Klimes napsal(a):
                      > > >
                      > > > Well, unless it features somewhere else, I'd go fo applicant here

                      gRzbGsDcnBseQRzdGltZQMxMTk0MzM0NDUx?act=reply&messageNum=34801>

                    • Sabina Králová

                        Message 11 of 18 , Nov 6, 2007
                          --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, Sabina Králová <Sabina.Kralova@...>
                          wrote:

                          > I know I am rather late and I did not follow this - but there is a
                          standard
                          > translation for
                          > principal investigator - hlavni zkušející
                          > sponsor - zadavatel

                          I agree but Coilin's predicament stems from the fact that there is
                          both a "sponzor" and "zadavatel" in this study, two separate entities.
                          I think that's the confusing part. So we were suggesting maybe in this
                          particular case it sounds like the party Coilin's text calls
                          "zadavatel" does what usually the "principal investigator" would do.

                          Tom
                          Message 12 of 18 , Nov 6, 2007
                            Has anyone looked on the websites of pharmaceutical development
                            consultants and seen if there's something there?

                            Jamie

                            On Nov 6, 2007, at 10:19 AM, tomas_barendregt wrote:

                            > --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, Sabina Kr�lov� <Sabina.Kralova@...>
                            > wrote:
                            > >
                            > > I know I am rather late and I did not follow this - but there is a
                            > standard
                            > > translation for
                            > > principal investigator - hlavni zku�ej�c�
                            > > sponsor - zadavatel
                            >
                            > I agree but Coilin's predicament stems from the fact that there is
                            > both a "sponzor" and "zadavatel" in this study, two separate entities.
                            > I think that's the confusing part. So we were suggesting maybe in this
                            > particular case it sounds like the party Coilin's text calls
                            > "zadavatel" does what usually the "principal investigator" would do.
                            >
                            > Tom

                          • coilinoc
                            Message 13 of 18 , Nov 6, 2007
                              Thanks for the additional input, guys.
                              The more I look at it, the more I think that "zadavatel" is indeed the
                              "sponsor" in the sense of the Act on Pharmaceuticals in that it
                              coordinates all aspects of the study. I'm beginning to think that they
                              put this clause in to ensure that this sponsorship is not confused
                              with the role of the other party who is simply a financial
                              sponsor/backer or patron of the research.
                              Still hard to come up with a two different terms in English, though...
                              C.

                              > Has anyone looked on the websites of pharmaceutical development
                              > consultants and seen if there's something there?
                              >
                              > Jamie
                              >
                              > On Nov 6, 2007, at 10:19 AM, tomas_barendregt wrote:
                              >
                              > > --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, Sabina Králová <Sabina.Kralova@>
                              > > wrote:
                              > > >
                              > > > I know I am rather late and I did not follow this - but there is a
                              > > standard
                              > > > translation for
                              > > > principal investigator - hlavni zkušející
                              > > > sponsor - zadavatel
                              > >
                              > > I agree but Coilin's predicament stems from the fact that there is
                              > > both a "sponzor" and "zadavatel" in this study, two separate entities.
                              > > I think that's the confusing part. So we were suggesting maybe in this
                              > > particular case it sounds like the party Coilin's text calls
                              > > "zadavatel" does what usually the "principal investigator" would do.
                              > >
                              > > Tom

                            • tomas_barendregt
                              Message 14 of 18 , Nov 6, 2007
                                --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, "coilinoc" <coilinoc@...> wrote:

                                > Thanks for the additional input, guys.
                                > The more I look at it, the more I think that "zadavatel" is indeed the
                                > "sponsor" in the sense of the Act on Pharmaceuticals in that it
                                > coordinates all aspects of the study. I'm beginning to think that they
                                > put this clause in to ensure that this sponsorship is not confused
                                > with the role of the other party who is simply a financial
                                > sponsor/backer or patron of the research.
                                > Still hard to come up with a two different terms in English, though...

                                Underwriter (for the financing sponsor)?