Re: Help: zadavatel

  • tomas_barendregt
    Message 1 of 18 , Nov 5, 2007
      --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, "coilinoc" <coilinoc@...> wrote:

      > Thanks for your reply, Tom. Unfortunately, it seems to be almost the
      > opposite to what you are suggesting. My context is a sponsorship
      > agreement and the party who is being sponsored to conduct the study is
      > called the zadavatel studie. Naturally the other party is defined as
      > the "financni podporovatel (sponzor) studie".
      > Explicit reference is made to the fact that the sponsor is not the
      > zadavatel as per the Act on Pharmeceuticals.
      > I guess you can see now why I'm a little stumped...:-(
      > Coilin

      No kidding! This seems counterintuitive to me. I assume then that this
      "zadavatel" is not the actual facility that carries out the study
      (which would be a "study site" or some such thing) but rather some
      entity between the sponsor (which I assume is the drug company trying
      to get its drug evaluated) and the actual sites where the study is
      conducted. Could it than be "coordinator" or "facilitator" or
      something like that? I suppose I should actually take a look at the
      Act on Pharmaceuticals to make a more educated guess...

      Tom
    • coilinoc
      Message 2 of 18 , Nov 5, 2007
        You're right, it's basically an individual researcher. She's in charge
        of "zahajeni, rizeni, provadeni a hodnoceni studie dle zak c. 79/1997
        Sb. o lecivech."
        I've thought of maybe using something long-winded like "the party
        commissioning the study", but I was just afraid that as it seems to be
        a term that is enshrined in the legislation so to speak there might
        be a standard English "trade links" style translation for it somewhere...
        If not, "coordinator" might work though
        Coilin

        --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, "tomas_barendregt" <barendregt@...>
        wrote:

        > --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, "coilinoc" <coilinoc@> wrote:
        > >
        > > Thanks for your reply, Tom. Unfortunately, it seems to be almost the
        > > opposite to what you are suggesting. My context is a sponsorship
        > > agreement and the party who is being sponsored to conduct the study is
        > > called the zadavatel studie. Naturally the other party is defined as
        > > the "financni podporovatel (sponzor) studie".
        > > Explicit reference is made to the fact that the sponsor is not the
        > > zadavatel as per the Act on Pharmeceuticals.
        > > I guess you can see now why I'm a little stumped...:-(
        > > Coilin
        > >

        > No kidding! This seems counterintuitive to me. I assume then that this
        > "zadavatel" is not the actual facility that carries out the study
        > (which would be a "study site" or some such thing) but rather some
        > entity between the sponsor (which I assume is the drug company trying
        > to get its drug evaluated) and the actual sites where the study is
        > conducted. Could it than be "coordinator" or "facilitator" or
        > something like that? I suppose I should actually take a look at the
        > Act on Pharmaceuticals to make a more educated guess...
        >
        > Tom

      • tomas_barendregt
        Message 3 of 18 , Nov 5, 2007
          --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, "coilinoc" <coilinoc@...> wrote:

          > You're right, it's basically an individual researcher. She's in charge
          > of "zahajeni, rizeni, provadeni a hodnoceni studie dle zak c. 79/1997
          > Sb. o lecivech."
          > I've thought of maybe using something long-winded like "the party
          > commissioning the study", but I was just afraid that as it seems to be
          > a term that is enshrined in the legislation so to speak there might
          > be a standard English "trade links" style translation for it
          somewhere...
          > If not, "coordinator" might work though
          > Coilin

          I took a look at the zakon (79/1997) and did not really find a good
          clue there. It seems it only mentions a "zkousejici" (who I would call
          "investigator") and "zadavatel" which, again, I would think is
          "sponsor". The Act itself does not mention "sponzor" so I am not
          exactly sure what this entity really is...

          From translating study-related texts into Czech, I remember there are
          sometimes "primary investigators" - could this be the "zadavatel" in
          your case? These are probably some head physicians collecting input
          from individual investigators/sites.

          Tom
          Message 4 of 18 , Nov 5, 2007
            Well, unless it features somewhere else, I'd go fo applicant here

            Message 5 of 18 , Nov 5, 2007
              Coilin, can you copy and paste the relevant part(s)?

              Martin

              Matej Klimes napsal(a):

              > Well, unless it features somewhere else, I'd go fo applicant here

            • coilinoc
              Message 6 of 18 , Nov 5, 2007
                --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, Martin Janda <mjanda@...> wrote:

                > Coilin, can you copy and paste the relevant part(s)?

                Hi Martin,
                here is the offending paragraph:

                Jedna se o vyslovne v bodu dva uvedenou studii vyzkumníka, ktery je
                jejim zadavatelem a XXX podporuje tuto studii jako financni sponzor, a
                neni zodpovedny za zahajeni, rizeni, provedeni a vyhodnoceni této
                studie. XXX nebude v souvislosti s vyse uvedenou vyzkumnou cinnosti
                udelovat vyzkumnikovi zadné prime instrukce, a take jinak nebude
                uplatnovat primy vliv na prubeh vyzkumu u vyzkumnika.

                And here is the "point two above" which the text refers to:

                XXX bude podporovat výzkumnou činnost po obdobi od listopad 2007 do
                cervna 2008 a zavazuje se poskytnout prispěvek uvedeny v § 3 této
                smlouvy. Vyzkumnik se zavazuje tyto prispevky pouzit vylucne pro vyse
                uvedenou studii. Naklady prevysujici prispevek na studii uhradi
                vylucne vyzkumnik.

                Incidentally, is there any reason why "prispevek" can suddenly become
                "prispevky" in the second sentence or is it a mistake...?

                Many thanks again
                Coilin

                Message 7 of 18 , Nov 5, 2007
                  Hi Coilin again,

                  Looks like this is either a poorly translated text from English, or the
                  writer is a bit behind the current terminology. Anyway, I would suggest
                  the following:

                  vyzkumnik - Principal Investigator (... who commissioned the study)
                  sponzor - Sponsor
                  prispevek = prispevky (IMHO no distinction intended)

                  hth
                  Martin

                  coilinoc napsal(a):

                  > Martin Janda <mjanda@...> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > Coilin, can you copy and paste the relevant part(s)?
                  >
                  > Hi Martin,
                  > here is the offending paragraph:
                  >
                  > Jedna se o vyslovne v bodu dva uvedenou studii vyzkumníka, ktery je
                  > jejim zadavatelem a XXX podporuje tuto studii jako financni sponzor, a
                  > neni zodpovedny za zahajeni, rizeni, provedeni a vyhodnoceni této
                  > studie. XXX nebude v souvislosti s vyse uvedenou vyzkumnou cinnosti
                  > udelovat vyzkumnikovi zadné prime instrukce, a take jinak nebude
                  > uplatnovat primy vliv na prubeh vyzkumu u vyzkumnika.
                  >
                  > And here is the "point two above" which the text refers to:
                  >
                  > XXX bude podporovat výzkumnou činnost po obdobi od listopad 2007 do
                  > cervna 2008 a zavazuje se poskytnout prispěvek uvedeny v § 3 této
                  > smlouvy. Vyzkumnik se zavazuje tyto prispevky pouzit vylucne pro vyse
                  > uvedenou studii. Naklady prevysujici prispevek na studii uhradi
                  > vylucne vyzkumnik.
                  >
                  > Incidentally, is there any reason why "prispevek" can suddenly become
                  > "prispevky" in the second sentence or is it a mistake...?
                  >
                  > Many thanks again
                  > Coilin
                  >
                  > > Martin
                  > >
                  > > Matej Klimes napsal(a):
                  > > >
                  > > > Well, unless it features somewhere else, I'd go fo applicant here

                • coilinoc
                  Message 8 of 18 , Nov 6, 2007
                    Thanks, Martin (and Tom and Matej)
                    Coilin

                    Message 9 of 18 , Nov 6, 2007
                      I haven't looked at the whole thread - I assumed from your sample that zadavatel was the company making the drug and then requesting SUKL to approve it - I think I have encountered this and solved it with applicant before... but your situation is probably different..

                      Message 10 of 18 , Nov 6, 2007
                        I know I am rather late and I did not follow this - but there is a standard
                        translation for
                        principal investigator - hlavni zkušející
                        sponsor - zadavatel
                        Sabina

                        coilinoc napsal(a):

                        > Martin Janda <mjanda@...> wrote:
                        > >
                        > > Coilin, can you copy and paste the relevant part(s)?
                        >
                        > Hi Martin,
                        > here is the offending paragraph:
                        >
                        > Jedna se o vyslovne v bodu dva uvedenou studii vyzkumníka, ktery je
                        > jejim zadavatelem a XXX podporuje tuto studii jako financni sponzor, a
                        > neni zodpovedny za zahajeni, rizeni, provedeni a vyhodnoceni této
                        > studie. XXX nebude v souvislosti s vyse uvedenou vyzkumnou cinnosti
                        > udelovat vyzkumnikovi zadné prime instrukce, a take jinak nebude
                        > uplatnovat primy vliv na prubeh vyzkumu u vyzkumnika.
                        >
                        > And here is the "point two above" which the text refers to:
                        >
                        > XXX bude podporovat výzkumnou činnost po obdobi od listopad 2007 do
                        > cervna 2008 a zavazuje se poskytnout prispěvek uvedeny v § 3 této
                        > smlouvy. Vyzkumnik se zavazuje tyto prispevky pouzit vylucne pro vyse
                        > uvedenou studii. Naklady prevysujici prispevek na studii uhradi
                        > vylucne vyzkumnik.
                        >
                        > Incidentally, is there any reason why "prispevek" can suddenly become
                        > "prispevky" in the second sentence or is it a mistake...?
                        >
                        > Many thanks again
                        > Coilin
                        >
                        > > Martin
                        > >
                        > > Matej Klimes napsal(a):
                        > > >
                        > > > Well, unless it features somewhere else, I'd go fo applicant here

                        gRzbGsDcnBseQRzdGltZQMxMTk0MzM0NDUx?act=reply&messageNum=34801>

                      • Sabina Králová

                          Message 12 of 18 , Nov 6, 2007
                            --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, Sabina Králová <Sabina.Kralova@...>
                            wrote:

                            > I know I am rather late and I did not follow this - but there is a
                            standard
                            > translation for
                            > principal investigator - hlavni zkušející
                            > sponsor - zadavatel

                            I agree but Coilin's predicament stems from the fact that there is
                            both a "sponzor" and "zadavatel" in this study, two separate entities.
                            I think that's the confusing part. So we were suggesting maybe in this
                            particular case it sounds like the party Coilin's text calls
                            "zadavatel" does what usually the "principal investigator" would do.

                            Tom
                            Message 13 of 18 , Nov 6, 2007
                              Has anyone looked on the websites of pharmaceutical development
                              consultants and seen if there's something there?

                              Jamie

                              On Nov 6, 2007, at 10:19 AM, tomas_barendregt wrote:

                              > --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, Sabina Kr�lov� <Sabina.Kralova@...>
                              > wrote:
                              > >
                              > > I know I am rather late and I did not follow this - but there is a
                              > standard
                              > > translation for
                              > > principal investigator - hlavni zku�ej�c�
                              > > sponsor - zadavatel
                              >
                              > I agree but Coilin's predicament stems from the fact that there is
                              > both a "sponzor" and "zadavatel" in this study, two separate entities.
                              > I think that's the confusing part. So we were suggesting maybe in this
                              > particular case it sounds like the party Coilin's text calls
                              > "zadavatel" does what usually the "principal investigator" would do.
                              >
                              > Tom

                            • coilinoc
                              Message 14 of 18 , Nov 6, 2007
                                Thanks for the additional input, guys.
                                The more I look at it, the more I think that "zadavatel" is indeed the
                                "sponsor" in the sense of the Act on Pharmaceuticals in that it
                                coordinates all aspects of the study. I'm beginning to think that they
                                put this clause in to ensure that this sponsorship is not confused
                                with the role of the other party who is simply a financial
                                sponsor/backer or patron of the research.
                                Still hard to come up with a two different terms in English, though...
                                C.

                                > Has anyone looked on the websites of pharmaceutical development
                                > consultants and seen if there's something there?
                                >
                                > Jamie
                                >
                                > On Nov 6, 2007, at 10:19 AM, tomas_barendregt wrote:
                                >
                                > > --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, Sabina Králová <Sabina.Kralova@>
                                > > wrote:
                                > > >
                                > > > I know I am rather late and I did not follow this - but there is a
                                > > standard
                                > > > translation for
                                > > > principal investigator - hlavni zkušející
                                > > > sponsor - zadavatel
                                > >
                                > > I agree but Coilin's predicament stems from the fact that there is
                                > > both a "sponzor" and "zadavatel" in this study, two separate entities.
                                > > I think that's the confusing part. So we were suggesting maybe in this
                                > > particular case it sounds like the party Coilin's text calls
                                > > "zadavatel" does what usually the "principal investigator" would do.
                                > >
                                > > Tom

                              • tomas_barendregt
                                Message 15 of 18 , Nov 6, 2007
                                  --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, "coilinoc" <coilinoc@...> wrote:

                                  > Thanks for the additional input, guys.
                                  > The more I look at it, the more I think that "zadavatel" is indeed the
                                  > "sponsor" in the sense of the Act on Pharmaceuticals in that it
                                  > coordinates all aspects of the study. I'm beginning to think that they
                                  > put this clause in to ensure that this sponsorship is not confused
                                  > with the role of the other party who is simply a financial
                                  > sponsor/backer or patron of the research.
                                  > Still hard to come up with a two different terms in English, though...

                                  Underwriter (for the financing sponsor)?