Help: zadavatel

  • coilinoc
    Message 1 of 18 , Nov 5, 2007
      Hi there,
      Can anyone think of a decent English equivalent for the word
      "zadavatel" in terms of its use in the Act on Pharmaceuticals (as SUKL
      calls this legislation), i.e. "Zadavatel je fyzicka nebo pravnicka
      osoba, ktera je odpovedná za zahajeni, rizeni, organizovani, kontrolu,
      popripade financovani klinickeho hodnoceni a za skody zpusobene
      zvlastní povahou hodnoceneho leciva."??
      MTIA for any suggestions
      Coilin
    • tomas_barendregt
      Message 2 of 18 , Nov 5, 2007
        --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, "coilinoc" <coilinoc@...> wrote:

        > Hi there,
        > Can anyone think of a decent English equivalent for the word
        > "zadavatel" in terms of its use in the Act on Pharmaceuticals (as SUKL
        > calls this legislation), i.e. "Zadavatel je fyzicka nebo pravnicka
        > osoba, ktera je odpovedná za zahajeni, rizeni, organizovani, kontrolu,
        > popripade financovani klinickeho hodnoceni a za skody zpusobene
        > zvlastní povahou hodnoceneho leciva."??
        > MTIA for any suggestions
        > Coilin

        Hi Coilin,

        I am pretty sure this is "sponsor" (as in "study sponsor").

        Tom
      • coilinoc
        Message 3 of 18 , Nov 5, 2007
          Thanks for your reply, Tom. Unfortunately, it seems to be almost the
          opposite to what you are suggesting. My context is a sponsorship
          agreement and the party who is being sponsored to conduct the study is
          called the zadavatel studie. Naturally the other party is defined as
          the "financni podporovatel (sponzor) studie".
          Explicit reference is made to the fact that the sponsor is not the
          zadavatel as per the Act on Pharmeceuticals.
          I guess you can see now why I'm a little stumped...:-(
          Coilin

          --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, "tomas_barendregt" <barendregt@...>
          wrote:

          > --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, "coilinoc" <coilinoc@> wrote:
          > >
          > > Hi there,
          > > Can anyone think of a decent English equivalent for the word
          > > "zadavatel" in terms of its use in the Act on Pharmaceuticals (as SUKL
          > > calls this legislation), i.e. "Zadavatel je fyzicka nebo pravnicka
          > > osoba, ktera je odpovedná za zahajeni, rizeni, organizovani, kontrolu,
          > > popripade financovani klinickeho hodnoceni a za skody zpusobene
          > > zvlastní povahou hodnoceneho leciva."??
          > > MTIA for any suggestions
          > > Coilin
          > >
          > Hi Coilin,
          >
          > I am pretty sure this is "sponsor" (as in "study sponsor").
          >
          > Tom

        • tomas_barendregt
          Message 4 of 18 , Nov 5, 2007
            --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, "coilinoc" <coilinoc@...> wrote:

            > Thanks for your reply, Tom. Unfortunately, it seems to be almost the
            > opposite to what you are suggesting. My context is a sponsorship
            > agreement and the party who is being sponsored to conduct the study is
            > called the zadavatel studie. Naturally the other party is defined as
            > the "financni podporovatel (sponzor) studie".
            > Explicit reference is made to the fact that the sponsor is not the
            > zadavatel as per the Act on Pharmeceuticals.
            > I guess you can see now why I'm a little stumped...:-(
            > Coilin

            No kidding! This seems counterintuitive to me. I assume then that this
            "zadavatel" is not the actual facility that carries out the study
            (which would be a "study site" or some such thing) but rather some
            entity between the sponsor (which I assume is the drug company trying
            to get its drug evaluated) and the actual sites where the study is
            conducted. Could it than be "coordinator" or "facilitator" or
            something like that? I suppose I should actually take a look at the
            Act on Pharmaceuticals to make a more educated guess...

            Tom
          • coilinoc
            Message 5 of 18 , Nov 5, 2007
              You're right, it's basically an individual researcher. She's in charge
              of "zahajeni, rizeni, provadeni a hodnoceni studie dle zak c. 79/1997
              Sb. o lecivech."
              I've thought of maybe using something long-winded like "the party
              commissioning the study", but I was just afraid that as it seems to be
              a term that is enshrined in the legislation so to speak there might
              be a standard English "trade links" style translation for it somewhere...
              If not, "coordinator" might work though

              wrote:

              > --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, "coilinoc" <coilinoc@> wrote:
              > >
              > > Thanks for your reply, Tom. Unfortunately, it seems to be almost the
              > > opposite to what you are suggesting. My context is a sponsorship
              > > agreement and the party who is being sponsored to conduct the study is
              > > called the zadavatel studie. Naturally the other party is defined as
              > > the "financni podporovatel (sponzor) studie".
              > > Explicit reference is made to the fact that the sponsor is not the
              > > zadavatel as per the Act on Pharmeceuticals.
              > > I guess you can see now why I'm a little stumped...:-(
              > > Coilin
              > >

              > No kidding! This seems counterintuitive to me. I assume then that this
              > "zadavatel" is not the actual facility that carries out the study
              > (which would be a "study site" or some such thing) but rather some
              > entity between the sponsor (which I assume is the drug company trying
              > to get its drug evaluated) and the actual sites where the study is
              > conducted. Could it than be "coordinator" or "facilitator" or
              > something like that? I suppose I should actually take a look at the
              > Act on Pharmaceuticals to make a more educated guess...
              >
              > Tom

            • tomas_barendregt
              Message 6 of 18 , Nov 5, 2007
                --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, "coilinoc" <coilinoc@...> wrote:

                > You're right, it's basically an individual researcher. She's in charge
                > of "zahajeni, rizeni, provadeni a hodnoceni studie dle zak c. 79/1997
                > Sb. o lecivech."
                > I've thought of maybe using something long-winded like "the party
                > commissioning the study", but I was just afraid that as it seems to be
                > a term that is enshrined in the legislation so to speak there might
                > be a standard English "trade links" style translation for it
                somewhere...
                > If not, "coordinator" might work though
                > Coilin

                I took a look at the zakon (79/1997) and did not really find a good
                clue there. It seems it only mentions a "zkousejici" (who I would call
                "investigator") and "zadavatel" which, again, I would think is
                "sponsor". The Act itself does not mention "sponzor" so I am not
                exactly sure what this entity really is...

                From translating study-related texts into Czech, I remember there are
                sometimes "primary investigators" - could this be the "zadavatel" in
                your case? These are probably some head physicians collecting input
                from individual investigators/sites.

                Tom
                Message 7 of 18 , Nov 5, 2007
                  Well, unless it features somewhere else, I'd go fo applicant here

                  Message 8 of 18 , Nov 5, 2007
                    Coilin, can you copy and paste the relevant part(s)?

                    Martin

                    Matej Klimes napsal(a):

                    > Well, unless it features somewhere else, I'd go fo applicant here

                  • coilinoc
                    Message 9 of 18 , Nov 5, 2007
                      --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, Martin Janda <mjanda@...> wrote:

                      > Coilin, can you copy and paste the relevant part(s)?

                      Hi Martin,
                      here is the offending paragraph:

                      Jedna se o vyslovne v bodu dva uvedenou studii vyzkumníka, ktery je
                      jejim zadavatelem a XXX podporuje tuto studii jako financni sponzor, a
                      neni zodpovedny za zahajeni, rizeni, provedeni a vyhodnoceni této
                      studie. XXX nebude v souvislosti s vyse uvedenou vyzkumnou cinnosti
                      udelovat vyzkumnikovi zadné prime instrukce, a take jinak nebude
                      uplatnovat primy vliv na prubeh vyzkumu u vyzkumnika.

                      And here is the "point two above" which the text refers to:

                      XXX bude podporovat výzkumnou činnost po obdobi od listopad 2007 do
                      cervna 2008 a zavazuje se poskytnout prispěvek uvedeny v § 3 této
                      smlouvy. Vyzkumnik se zavazuje tyto prispevky pouzit vylucne pro vyse
                      uvedenou studii. Naklady prevysujici prispevek na studii uhradi
                      vylucne vyzkumnik.

                      Incidentally, is there any reason why "prispevek" can suddenly become
                      "prispevky" in the second sentence or is it a mistake...?

                      Many thanks again
                      Coilin

                      Message 10 of 18 , Nov 5, 2007
                        Hi Coilin again,

                        Looks like this is either a poorly translated text from English, or the
                        writer is a bit behind the current terminology. Anyway, I would suggest
                        the following:

                        vyzkumnik - Principal Investigator (... who commissioned the study)
                        sponzor - Sponsor
                        prispevek = prispevky (IMHO no distinction intended)

                        hth
                        Martin

                        coilinoc napsal(a):

                        > Martin Janda <mjanda@...> wrote:
                        > >
                        > > Coilin, can you copy and paste the relevant part(s)?
                        >
                        > Hi Martin,
                        > here is the offending paragraph:
                        >
                        > Jedna se o vyslovne v bodu dva uvedenou studii vyzkumníka, ktery je
                        > jejim zadavatelem a XXX podporuje tuto studii jako financni sponzor, a
                        > neni zodpovedny za zahajeni, rizeni, provedeni a vyhodnoceni této
                        > studie. XXX nebude v souvislosti s vyse uvedenou vyzkumnou cinnosti
                        > udelovat vyzkumnikovi zadné prime instrukce, a take jinak nebude
                        > uplatnovat primy vliv na prubeh vyzkumu u vyzkumnika.
                        >
                        > And here is the "point two above" which the text refers to:
                        >
                        > XXX bude podporovat výzkumnou činnost po obdobi od listopad 2007 do
                        > cervna 2008 a zavazuje se poskytnout prispěvek uvedeny v § 3 této
                        > smlouvy. Vyzkumnik se zavazuje tyto prispevky pouzit vylucne pro vyse
                        > uvedenou studii. Naklady prevysujici prispevek na studii uhradi
                        > vylucne vyzkumnik.
                        >
                        > Incidentally, is there any reason why "prispevek" can suddenly become
                        > "prispevky" in the second sentence or is it a mistake...?
                        >
                        > Many thanks again
                        > Coilin
                        >
                        > > Martin
                        > >
                        > > Matej Klimes napsal(a):
                        > > >
                        > > > Well, unless it features somewhere else, I'd go fo applicant here

                      • coilinoc
                        Message 11 of 18 , Nov 6, 2007
                          Thanks, Martin (and Tom and Matej)
                          Coilin

                          Message 12 of 18 , Nov 6, 2007
                            I haven't looked at the whole thread - I assumed from your sample that zadavatel was the company making the drug and then requesting SUKL to approve it - I think I have encountered this and solved it with applicant before... but your situation is probably different..

                            Message 13 of 18 , Nov 6, 2007
                              I know I am rather late and I did not follow this - but there is a standard
                              translation for
                              principal investigator - hlavni zkušející
                              sponsor - zadavatel
                              Sabina

                              coilinoc napsal(a):

                              > Martin Janda <mjanda@...> wrote:
                              > >
                              > > Coilin, can you copy and paste the relevant part(s)?
                              >
                              > Hi Martin,
                              > here is the offending paragraph:
                              >
                              > Jedna se o vyslovne v bodu dva uvedenou studii vyzkumníka, ktery je
                              > jejim zadavatelem a XXX podporuje tuto studii jako financni sponzor, a
                              > neni zodpovedny za zahajeni, rizeni, provedeni a vyhodnoceni této
                              > studie. XXX nebude v souvislosti s vyse uvedenou vyzkumnou cinnosti
                              > udelovat vyzkumnikovi zadné prime instrukce, a take jinak nebude
                              > uplatnovat primy vliv na prubeh vyzkumu u vyzkumnika.
                              >
                              > And here is the "point two above" which the text refers to:
                              >
                              > XXX bude podporovat výzkumnou činnost po obdobi od listopad 2007 do
                              > cervna 2008 a zavazuje se poskytnout prispěvek uvedeny v § 3 této
                              > smlouvy. Vyzkumnik se zavazuje tyto prispevky pouzit vylucne pro vyse
                              > uvedenou studii. Naklady prevysujici prispevek na studii uhradi
                              > vylucne vyzkumnik.
                              >
                              > Incidentally, is there any reason why "prispevek" can suddenly become
                              > "prispevky" in the second sentence or is it a mistake...?
                              >
                              > Many thanks again
                              > Coilin
                              >
                              > > Martin
                              > >
                              > > Matej Klimes napsal(a):
                              > > >
                              > > > Well, unless it features somewhere else, I'd go fo applicant here

                              gRzbGsDcnBseQRzdGltZQMxMTk0MzM0NDUx?act=reply&messageNum=34801>

                            • Sabina Králová
                              Message 14 of 18 , Nov 6, 2007
                                Sorry - hlavní zkoušející
                                Sabina

                                Message 15 of 18 , Nov 6, 2007
                                  --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, Sabina Králová <Sabina.Kralova@...>
                                  wrote:

                                  > I know I am rather late and I did not follow this - but there is a
                                  standard
                                  > translation for
                                  > principal investigator - hlavni zkušející
                                  > sponsor - zadavatel

                                  I agree but Coilin's predicament stems from the fact that there is
                                  both a "sponzor" and "zadavatel" in this study, two separate entities.
                                  I think that's the confusing part. So we were suggesting maybe in this
                                  particular case it sounds like the party Coilin's text calls
                                  "zadavatel" does what usually the "principal investigator" would do.

                                  Tom
                                  Message 16 of 18 , Nov 6, 2007
                                    Has anyone looked on the websites of pharmaceutical development
                                    consultants and seen if there's something there?

                                    Jamie

                                    On Nov 6, 2007, at 10:19 AM, tomas_barendregt wrote:

                                    > --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, Sabina Kr�lov� <Sabina.Kralova@...>
                                    > wrote:
                                    > >
                                    > > I know I am rather late and I did not follow this - but there is a
                                    > standard
                                    > > translation for
                                    > > principal investigator - hlavni zku�ej�c�
                                    > > sponsor - zadavatel
                                    >
                                    > I agree but Coilin's predicament stems from the fact that there is
                                    > both a "sponzor" and "zadavatel" in this study, two separate entities.
                                    > I think that's the confusing part. So we were suggesting maybe in this
                                    > particular case it sounds like the party Coilin's text calls
                                    > "zadavatel" does what usually the "principal investigator" would do.
                                    >
                                    > Tom

                                  • coilinoc
                                    Message 17 of 18 , Nov 6, 2007
                                      Thanks for the additional input, guys.
                                      The more I look at it, the more I think that "zadavatel" is indeed the
                                      "sponsor" in the sense of the Act on Pharmaceuticals in that it
                                      coordinates all aspects of the study. I'm beginning to think that they
                                      put this clause in to ensure that this sponsorship is not confused
                                      with the role of the other party who is simply a financial
                                      sponsor/backer or patron of the research.
                                      Still hard to come up with a two different terms in English, though...
                                      C.

                                      > Has anyone looked on the websites of pharmaceutical development
                                      > consultants and seen if there's something there?
                                      >
                                      > Jamie
                                      >
                                      > On Nov 6, 2007, at 10:19 AM, tomas_barendregt wrote:
                                      >
                                      > > --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, Sabina Králová <Sabina.Kralova@>
                                      > > wrote:
                                      > > >
                                      > > > I know I am rather late and I did not follow this - but there is a
                                      > > standard
                                      > > > translation for
                                      > > > principal investigator - hlavni zkušející
                                      > > > sponsor - zadavatel
                                      > >
                                      > > I agree but Coilin's predicament stems from the fact that there is
                                      > > both a "sponzor" and "zadavatel" in this study, two separate entities.
                                      > > I think that's the confusing part. So we were suggesting maybe in this
                                      > > particular case it sounds like the party Coilin's text calls
                                      > > "zadavatel" does what usually the "principal investigator" would do.
                                      > >
                                      > > Tom

                                    • tomas_barendregt
                                      Message 18 of 18 , Nov 6, 2007
                                        --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, "coilinoc" <coilinoc@...> wrote:

                                        > Thanks for the additional input, guys.
                                        > The more I look at it, the more I think that "zadavatel" is indeed the
                                        > "sponsor" in the sense of the Act on Pharmaceuticals in that it
                                        > coordinates all aspects of the study. I'm beginning to think that they
                                        > put this clause in to ensure that this sponsorship is not confused
                                        > with the role of the other party who is simply a financial
                                        > sponsor/backer or patron of the research.
                                        > Still hard to come up with a two different terms in English, though...

                                        Underwriter (for the financing sponsor)?