Re: Pohledavky - claims vs. receivables

  • tomas_barendregt
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 31, 2007

      > What (if anything) is the main difference between a claim and a
      receivable? I always considered claim a more generic and
      all-encompassing term and receivable a more precise
      financial/accounting term..

      Hi Matej,

      My dictionary of accounting terms defines "receivables" as "claims
      held against customers and others for money, goods or services". This
      seems to prove that the words have pretty much the same meaning.
      However, in business/accounting contexts, I always had the impression
      that "receivables" arise in the regular course of business while
      "claims" happen when something goes wrong; to me, "claim" indicates
      and issue such as a customer returning an item (claim - reklamace) or
      there is a dispute, receivables go uncollected (does that turn them
      into claims?), insurance is used to cover damages (insurance claims) etc.

      In the examples you have, I think "receivables" sounds better to me.

      As far as the prepositions go, I would use "receivables from" and
      "claims against".

      Tom