Re: [Czechlist] RE. Re: Moravian dialect

  • Valerie Talacko
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 27, 2007
      That sounds as if it could well be it - that's the sort of thing I was hoping it would be. Thanks.

      The song is a new one, but makes use of a couple of traditional words.

      Many thanks,

      Valerie

      Date: Thu Oct 25, 2007 2:34 pm ((PDT))

      Thank you both! The idea of father selling lace is a slightly strange one,
      though...

      The plural form had stumped me - thanks. I hadn't come across it exclusively
      in the third person (i.e. not instead of 2nd person).

      ('Colour for my cheeks' means rouge in the context of the rest of the song,
      which is fortunately straightforward. She's being accused of bewitching this
      young man with her rosy cheeks, and people say that she's painted and the
      colour in her cheeks is bought - Povedajú ludé, ze jsem malovaná, ze je do
      mých lícek barva kupovaná. However, she says, that can't be the case because
      they don't have enough money).

      Thanks again,

      Valerie