Re: [Czechlist] English Grammar - question

    Message 1 of 8 , Oct 24, 2007
      On Oct 24, 2007, at 8:53 AM, Helga Listen wrote:

      > Additional Directors may be appointed in accordance with the Articles

      Let me see if I understand Helga's conundrum. Maybe I have a glimmer
      of this German logic.

      Helga, I think your mind is vacillating between these two:

      1. [In accordance with the Articles] additional directors may be
      appointed.
      = Additional directors may be appointed [in accordance with the
      Articles].
      = The articles say that additional directors may be appointed.

      2. Additional directors may be [appointed in accordance with the
      Articles].
      = Additional directors may be appointed, but you can't do it unless
      you adhere to the articles.

      This is something like:

      3. I know he's angry, [because I saw him].
      = I saw him, so I know he's angry.

      4. I know he's [angry because I saw him].
      = I saw him, and that's what made him angry.

      I interpret the sentence as having the meaning in (2) above. In (3)
      and (4), the meaning difference is indicated by the comma, but since
      people don't know how to use commas, you can't ever be sure. I think
      it's the same situation with your sentence. The native speaker's gut
      feeling says it's meaning (2), but if the writer is bad, you can
      never be sure.