Re: [Czechlist] Re: "krbova kamna" - help needed urgently

  • Jennifer Hejtmankova
    Message 1 of 44 , Oct 4, 2007
      Well that is a good point...but do people burn something other than
      wood in a krbova kamna? Is coal burned in a krbova kamna? I know
      about those pressed wood briquettes, but I would still call something
      that burned those a "woodstove"....

      I really am asking - I don't know, myself...

      jennifer

      Message 44 of 44 , Oct 7, 2007
        On Oct 7, 2007, at 12:54 PM, melvyn.geo wrote:

        > Well OK, that is a good argument, but does Cervantes fit in to this
        > theory at all? I must admit I normally pronounce the name
        > "sir-van-tease" rather than "therr-van-tess" (blame my primary school
        > teacher) and I do not think I am alone in this, at least in the UK.

        In the US, it would never be pronounced "therr-van-tess", because our
        main exposure is not to a lisping variety of Spanish. The normal
        pronunciation here would be "sir-vahn-tess".