Re: [Czechlist] Re: "krbova kamna" - help needed urgently

  • Gerald Turner
    Message 1 of 44 , Oct 4, 2007
      It could be other solid fuel, though - coal, peat (maybe even liquid, I
      suppose), so better not specify IMO

      Gerry

      On 04/10/2007, Jennifer Hejtmankova <jenhejt@...> wrote:

      > woodstove
      >
      > regards,
      > jennifer
      >
      > On 4.10.2007, at 9:53, dparrot@... <dparrot%40volny.cz> wrote:
      >
      > > What's the English equivalent for "krbova kamna" (not just the
      > > fireplace,
      > > but that fancy stove with fire resistant windows, etc.)?
      > > Thanks for helping me.
      > > Dusan

      Czech-In Translations
      V lesíčku 5
      150 00 Prague 5
      Czech Republic
      Tel/fax: ++ 420 235 357 194

      To see a World in a Grain of Sand
      And a Heaven in a Wild Flower,
      Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand
      And Eternity in an hour.

      Message 44 of 44 , Oct 7, 2007
        On Oct 7, 2007, at 12:54 PM, melvyn.geo wrote:

        > Well OK, that is a good argument, but does Cervantes fit in to this
        > theory at all? I must admit I normally pronounce the name
        > "sir-van-tease" rather than "therr-van-tess" (blame my primary school
        > teacher) and I do not think I am alone in this, at least in the UK.

        In the US, it would never be pronounced "therr-van-tess", because our
        main exposure is not to a lisping variety of Spanish. The normal
        pronunciation here would be "sir-vahn-tess".