Re: "krbova kamna" - help needed urgently

  • dparrot@volny.cz
    Message 1 of 44 , Oct 4, 2007
      What's the English equivalent for "krbova kamna" (not just the fireplace,
      but that fancy stove with fire resistant windows, etc.)?
      Thanks for helping me.
      Dusan
      Message 44 of 44 , Oct 7, 2007
        On Oct 7, 2007, at 12:54 PM, melvyn.geo wrote:

        > Well OK, that is a good argument, but does Cervantes fit in to this
        > theory at all? I must admit I normally pronounce the name
        > "sir-van-tease" rather than "therr-van-tess" (blame my primary school
        > teacher) and I do not think I am alone in this, at least in the UK.

        In the US, it would never be pronounced "therr-van-tess", because our
        main exposure is not to a lisping variety of Spanish. The normal
        pronunciation here would be "sir-vahn-tess".