Need advice on TRADOS training!

  • Robert J. McGehee
    Message 1 of 30 , Sep 24, 2007
      Hello out there:

      It's been a while since I have contributed anything to the Czechlist. This time, however, I need some advice: About a year ago I recall reading in the Czechlist that there was someone who knew about training for the TRADOS translation memory software.

      I would like to know if this training is still available, and if so, how much it would cost, how long it would take, and where it would take place.

      I have put off this matter as long as possible. I now have a full-time job as a translator for a bank in Prague, and most of the translation that I do now is from German to English, though I still do some translation from Czech to English on occasion. More than a year ago my boss purchased the license for the Trados software for the sum of about 700 Euros, if I remember correctly (this license is only valid for the laptop that I use for work).

      I tried going through all of the tutorials and the various help files, but there were initially many technical problems getting the program set up. Even when I was able to solve some of these problems, however, I found that I was still unable to get the program to work. After that point I just "gave up" and assumed that TRADOS was simply too difficult for one to learn on one's own. Unfortunately, other things came up, and I never got around to finding out about where I could get training on the program. Since the firm that I work for has invested so much money on this program I can't keep on giving my boss excuses as to why I am still not using TRADOS.

      At present I am only translating on the average less than ten pages per day. While my boss is satisfied with my work so far, this is merely because he does not know what should be expected of a professional translator (he only knows about computer programming). If he should find out that in principle my "production rate" should be much higher than it is, he might start having second thoughts about continueing to hire me:-(.

      Please help with any advice or suggestions that you can come up with!

      With thanks in advance,

      Robert M. -- lost in TRADOS land!