bad spelling at Mozilla

    Message 1 of 10 , Aug 30, 2007
      Is it just my imagination, or does Mozilla employ very bad writers?

      This is what it says on the start page:

      Turn heads with back-to-school threads from Mozilla. The new Mozilla Store
      is open.

      Matej
    • coilinoc
      Message 2 of 10 , Aug 30, 2007

        > Is it just my imagination, or does Mozilla employ very bad writers?
        >
        > This is what it says on the start page:
        >
        > Turn heads with back-to-school threads from Mozilla. The new Mozilla
        Store
        > is open.

        What is your problem with this text exactly. It's a little bit corny
        (especially the rhyme) but I don't see anything particularly wrong
        with it.
        Coilin
        Message 3 of 10 , Aug 30, 2007
          Well, tell you the truth I thought it was a typo (for treat)... so what's the funny rhyme bit supposed to be, modern slang, like saying warez etc? Or thread as in "nit" - didn't think that could be used to mean clothes, please explain

          Thanks

          Matej

          > Is it just my imagination, or does Mozilla employ very bad writers?
          >
          > This is what it says on the start page:
          >
          > Turn heads with back-to-school threads from Mozilla. The new Mozilla
          Store
          > is open.

          What is your problem with this text exactly. It's a little bit corny
          (especially the rhyme) but I don't see anything particularly wrong
          with it.
          Coilin

        • Gerald Turner
          Message 4 of 10 , Aug 30, 2007
            I would paraphrase it as "attract (imperative) people's attention" (turn
            their heads towards you/your children) by purchasing clothes (threads=slang
            for clothes) for the new school term from the Mozilla shop (I assume some
            form of eBay).

            Over to you, Matej

            Gerry

            On 30/08/2007, Matej Klimes <mklimes@...> wrote:

            > Well, tell you the truth I thought it was a typo (for treat)... so
            > what's the funny rhyme bit supposed to be, modern slang, like saying warez
            > etc? Or thread as in "nit" - didn't think that could be used to mean
            > clothes, please explain
            >
            > Thanks
            >
            > Matej

            Czech-In Translations
            V lesíčku 5
            150 00 Prague 5
            Czech Republic
            Tel/fax: ++ 420 235 357 194

            To see a World in a Grain of Sand
            And a Heaven in a Wild Flower,
            Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand
            And Eternity in an hour.

            Message 5 of 10 , Aug 30, 2007
              Thanks for clarification, I didn't know threads was used in this way, which side of the pond?

              Matej

              Message 6 of 10 , Aug 30, 2007
                According the online Etymological Dictionary (
                www.etymonline.com/index.php?l=t&p=10)
                Threads, slang for "clothes" is 1926, Amer.Eng.

                It is now also current in BE slang.

                Gerry

                Message 7 of 10 , Aug 30, 2007
                  Well it's definitely used in Ireland and England. I don't know about
                  the States, but I guess Mozilla is an American organisation so they
                  probably use it too. When I say "used", I should probably
                  say "understood". It's fairly hackneyed slang (it's even in the
                  COED) and I can't imagine it is used that often anymore by anyone
                  under the age of 30. In fact I reckon most people would find that
                  add fairly cringeworthy. At least I did :-)
                  C.

                  Message 8 of 10 , Aug 31, 2007
                    On Aug 31, 2007, at 2:11 AM, coilinoc wrote:

                    > Well it's definitely used in Ireland and England. I don't know about
                    > the States, but I guess Mozilla is an American organisation so they
                    > probably use it too. When I say "used", I should probably
                    > say "understood". It's fairly hackneyed slang (it's even in the
                    > COED) and I can't imagine it is used that often anymore by anyone
                    > under the age of 30. In fact I reckon most people would find that
                    > add fairly cringeworthy. At least I did :-)

                    I think that the rhyme would be cringeworthy in the US, but not the
                    slang word "threads" itself.

                    I don't think Americans of any age would be particularly embarrassed
                    by it or tend to avoid it. It's one of those slang words that each
                    generation here thinks they made up themselves. My bet is that it
                    dates back to beatnik slang in the 1940s or 1950s, but I can't prove it.

                    As for each generation thinking it first coined some old word, kids
                    in their late teens in a class I taught thought that the word "thug"
                    was new and came from the ghetto. You should have seen their faces
                    when they were informed that the word dated back to the mid-19th
                    century. They were even more stunned when told that when rap music
                    came into vogue, my mother, who was in her 70s, thought it was old
                    and said, "Oh, don't tell me they're bringing THAT back!"

                  • Robert Chudek
                    Message 9 of 10 , Aug 31, 2007
                      Yup, "threads" was a 'cool' word for clothing when I was in school during the 50's & 60's (MN, USA).

                      What caught my attention last week was the White Castle commercial on television where they used the word "sliders" during the ad! As kids, we referred to these inexpensive hamburgers as "sliders". It was semi-derogatory in the context they were small, cheap, greasy, and would slide right through your digestive system. When you said "Let's go get some sliders", everyone knew what you were talking about! Maybe the word is in vogue 50 years later?

                      Robert Chudek

                      Message 10 of 10 , Sep 1, 2007
                        I don't think the word "sliders" ever stopped being in vogue, because
                        people were calling White Castle hamburgers "sliders" even in the
                        1980s. I think it's just an established slang word.

                        Jamie