Re: INFO: Translator Database

    Message 1 of 16 , Aug 2, 2007
      --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, "kzgafas" <kzgafas@...> wrote:

      > But the database itself is not there yet, is it? I somehow could not
      > find it.

      Kostas,

      True, it is pretty difficult to get your bearings at first amongst all
      the various features on the new Bohemica site.

      Once you have created your account at
      http://www.bohemica.com/user/register

      Click on "Create Content" on the right-hand side

      Then click on "Czech Services" on the right-hand side

      And then under the translation services heading add your details in
      the appropriate fields. These instructions will be included in the
      Czechlist message footer for the next couple of weeks for easy
      reference. I will be adding a bunch of entries from the old "Database"
      in the next few days.

      Of course, you can add your own content on other Bohemica pages too. I
      am currently wikifying my Czech-English translation problems pages, so
      that others can comment on them/vandalize them etc. These are exciting
      times in which we live.

      BR

      Melvyn
    • kzgafas
      Message 2 of 16 , Aug 3, 2007
        I see, these listings need to be entered manually into the server
        hosted database. But I think you might announce here in a more
        imperative mode that translators who want to continue in being listed
        in the new Bohemica site enter their details into the new site
        themselves, since it is in their own interest. Instead of you doing
        it for them.

        K.

        Message 3 of 16 , Aug 5, 2007
          There's that radio show called "ABC of Czech".

          Does this title strike the British as Czenglish the same as it would
          strike an American?

          Czech: "Znas abecedu?"
          US: "Do you know your ABCs?"

          Is ABC in reference to the alphabet (as when discussing it with
          children) plural in the UK as it is in the US?

          Jamie
        • Valerie Talacko
          Message 4 of 16 , Aug 5, 2007
            No. There's (usually) only one alphabet per language - how can ABC be plural? :)

            Message 5 of 16 , Aug 5, 2007
              It just IS plural.

              So the British would ask a kid if he knows his "ABC" and not "ABCs"?

              Do you ask a kid if he knows his "times table" or his "times tables"?

              Jamie

              Message 6 of 16 , Aug 5, 2007
                Times tables - because there are lots of them! (four times table, five times table etc.)

                Yep - 'do you know your ABC?'

                Message 7 of 16 , Aug 5, 2007
                  p.s. what's the Czech for times table?

                  Times tables - because there are lots of them! (four times table, five times table etc.)

                  Yep - 'do you know your ABC?'

                  So the British would ask a kid if he knows his "ABC" and not "ABCs"?

                  Do you ask a kid if he knows his "times table" or his "times tables"?

                  Jamie

                  On Aug 5, 2007, at 8:58 AM, Valerie Talacko wrote:

                  > No. There's (usually) only one alphabet per language - how can ABC
                  > be plural? :)

                • Hana Jarolímová
                  Message 8 of 16 , Aug 5, 2007
                    time table je rozvrh hodin
                    H.
                    Message 9 of 16 , Aug 5, 2007
                      You're confusing "times table" with "timetable".

                      The "times tables" are the multiplication tables.

                      Jamie

                      On Aug 5, 2007, at 9:32 AM, Hana Jarolímová wrote:

                      > time table je rozvrh hodin
                      > H.

                    • Liz Spacilova
                      Message 10 of 16 , Aug 5, 2007
                        My son has a book with 'tabulka nasobeni' ... one table showing all
                        multiplication combinations from 1 through 12. Would that make it a
                        times tables table, times table table, table of times tables ... yes,
                        I got too much sun today...

                        >:-s
                        Liz
                      • Josef Hlavac
                        Message 11 of 16 , Aug 5, 2007
                          As far as I can remember, we haven't used anything like that in school.
                          So, there probably isn't a widely accepted term and you could use
                          something like "nasobici tabulka"...

                          Josef

                          James Kirchner wrote:
                          > You're confusing "times table" with "timetable".
                          >
                          > The "times tables" are the multiplication tables.
                          >
                          > Jamie
                          >
                          > On Aug 5, 2007, at 9:32 AM, Hana Jarolímová wrote:
                          >
                          >> time table je rozvrh hodin
                          >> H.

                          > Put your details on the Bohemica Translator Database:
                          > 1) Create your own account at bohemica.com,
                          > http://www.bohemica.com/user/register
                          > 2) Click on "Create Content"
                          > 3) Click on "Czech Services"
                          >

                          > Yahoo! Groups Links

                        • Valerie Talacko
                          Message 12 of 16 , Aug 5, 2007
                            Thanks! I think I've found the equivalent now - nasobilka, and nasobeni + dvojka etc. for the individual times table.

                            http://www.montessoricr.cz/clanky_detail.php?Id=40

                            Jeden z chlapcu zase na koberecku procvicuje násobilku. "Matematika me baví. Moc mi ale nejde násobení sedmickou," rekl chlapec

                            which in English would be: 'One little boy is sitting on a rug practising his times tables. 'I like maths [or math in the US]. But my seven times table isn't going very well,' said the little boy.

                            Valerie

                            James Kirchner wrote:
                            > You're confusing "times table" with "timetable".
                            >
                            > The "times tables" are the multiplication tables.
                            >
                            > Jamie
                            >
                            > On Aug 5, 2007, at 9:32 AM, Hana Jarolímová wrote:
                            >
                            >> time table je rozvrh hodin
                            >> H.

                            > Put your details on the Bohemica Translator Database:
                            > 1) Create your own account at bohemica.com,
                            > http://www.bohemica.com/user/register
                            > 2) Click on "Create Content"
                            > 3) Click on "Czech Services"

                          • spektrum2002
                            Message 13 of 16 , Aug 6, 2007
                              Takze matematicky vzato (pokud jsem to spravne pochopil):
                              V Cesku mame jednu tabulku male nasobilky (= do 10x10), coz je matrix
                              10x10 (10 rows x 10 columns), kdezto v Anglii etc. mate pro malou
                              nasobilku 10 tabulek, kde kazda je jeden radek, resp. matrix 1x10 :-).
                              Petr Adamek

                              --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, "Valerie Talacko" <valerie@...> wrote:

                              > Thanks! I think I've found the equivalent now - nasobilka, and
                              nasobeni + dvojka etc. for the individual times table.

                              > http://www.montessoricr.cz/clanky_detail.php?Id=40
                              >
                              > Jeden z chlapcu zase na koberecku procvicuje násobilku. "Matematika
                              me baví. Moc mi ale nejde násobení sedmickou," rekl chlapec

                              > which in English would be: 'One little boy is sitting on a rug
                              practising his times tables. 'I like maths [or math in the US]. But my
                              seven times table isn't going very well,' said the little boy.

                              > Valerie

                            • Valerie Talacko
                              Message 14 of 16 , Aug 6, 2007
                                It's not actually a table (or doesn't have to be - I don't think we ever had it written out as one), it's just the usual term for the concept, esp. with regard to what children have to learn at school. It's interesting that in England it seems you still have to learn up to 12x - a hangover from when there were 12 pence in a shilling?

                                Each number is referred to as a 'times table' and the whole lot are 'times tables'. So your daughter comes home from school and says 'I've got to learn my eight times table this week.'

                                Valerie