Re: INFO: Translator Database

  • kzgafas
    Message 1 of 16 , Aug 2, 2007
      Hi Melvyn:

      But the database itself is not there yet, is it? I somehow could not
      find it.

      K.

      --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, "melvyn.geo" <zehrovak@...> wrote:

      > Hullo chums,
      >
      > We are moving all the Czech-English translation-related pages from
      the
      > old Bohemica.com site (http://old.bohemica.com/) to a Drupal-powered
      > site (http://www.bohemica.com), including the high-profile Bohemica
      > Translator Database. One of the big advantages of this new
      arrangement
      > is that you can now enter and update your own info on the Database,
      > whenever you want, simply by creating your own account at
      Bohemica:

      Message 2 of 16 , Aug 2, 2007
        --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, "kzgafas" <kzgafas@...> wrote:

        > But the database itself is not there yet, is it? I somehow could not
        > find it.

        Kostas,

        True, it is pretty difficult to get your bearings at first amongst all
        the various features on the new Bohemica site.

        Once you have created your account at
        http://www.bohemica.com/user/register

        Click on "Create Content" on the right-hand side

        Then click on "Czech Services" on the right-hand side

        And then under the translation services heading add your details in
        the appropriate fields. These instructions will be included in the
        Czechlist message footer for the next couple of weeks for easy
        reference. I will be adding a bunch of entries from the old "Database"
        in the next few days.

        Of course, you can add your own content on other Bohemica pages too. I
        am currently wikifying my Czech-English translation problems pages, so
        that others can comment on them/vandalize them etc. These are exciting
        times in which we live.

        BR

        Melvyn
      • kzgafas
        Message 3 of 16 , Aug 3, 2007
          I see, these listings need to be entered manually into the server
          hosted database. But I think you might announce here in a more
          imperative mode that translators who want to continue in being listed
          in the new Bohemica site enter their details into the new site
          themselves, since it is in their own interest. Instead of you doing
          it for them.

          Message 4 of 16 , Aug 5, 2007
            There's that radio show called "ABC of Czech".

            Does this title strike the British as Czenglish the same as it would
            strike an American?

            Czech: "Znas abecedu?"
            US: "Do you know your ABCs?"

            Is ABC in reference to the alphabet (as when discussing it with
            children) plural in the UK as it is in the US?

            Jamie
          • Valerie Talacko
            Message 5 of 16 , Aug 5, 2007
              No. There's (usually) only one alphabet per language - how can ABC be plural? :)

              Message 6 of 16 , Aug 5, 2007
                It just IS plural.

                So the British would ask a kid if he knows his "ABC" and not "ABCs"?

                Do you ask a kid if he knows his "times table" or his "times tables"?

                Jamie

                Message 7 of 16 , Aug 5, 2007
                  Times tables - because there are lots of them! (four times table, five times table etc.)

                  Yep - 'do you know your ABC?'

                  Message 8 of 16 , Aug 5, 2007
                    p.s. what's the Czech for times table?

                    Times tables - because there are lots of them! (four times table, five times table etc.)

                    Yep - 'do you know your ABC?'

                    So the British would ask a kid if he knows his "ABC" and not "ABCs"?

                    Do you ask a kid if he knows his "times table" or his "times tables"?

                    Jamie

                    On Aug 5, 2007, at 8:58 AM, Valerie Talacko wrote:

                    > No. There's (usually) only one alphabet per language - how can ABC
                    > be plural? :)

                  • Hana Jarolímová
                    Message 9 of 16 , Aug 5, 2007
                      time table je rozvrh hodin
                      H.
                      Message 10 of 16 , Aug 5, 2007
                        You're confusing "times table" with "timetable".

                        The "times tables" are the multiplication tables.

                        Jamie

                        On Aug 5, 2007, at 9:32 AM, Hana Jarolímová wrote:

                        > time table je rozvrh hodin
                        > H.

                      • Liz Spacilova
                        Message 11 of 16 , Aug 5, 2007
                          My son has a book with 'tabulka nasobeni' ... one table showing all
                          multiplication combinations from 1 through 12. Would that make it a
                          times tables table, times table table, table of times tables ... yes,
                          I got too much sun today...

                          >:-s
                          Liz
                        • Josef Hlavac
                          Message 12 of 16 , Aug 5, 2007
                            As far as I can remember, we haven't used anything like that in school.
                            So, there probably isn't a widely accepted term and you could use
                            something like "nasobici tabulka"...

                            Josef

                            James Kirchner wrote:
                            > You're confusing "times table" with "timetable".
                            >
                            > The "times tables" are the multiplication tables.
                            >
                            > Jamie
                            >
                            > On Aug 5, 2007, at 9:32 AM, Hana Jarolímová wrote:
                            >
                            >> time table je rozvrh hodin
                            >> H.

                            > Put your details on the Bohemica Translator Database:
                            > 1) Create your own account at bohemica.com,
                            > http://www.bohemica.com/user/register
                            > 2) Click on "Create Content"
                            > 3) Click on "Czech Services"
                            >

                            > Yahoo! Groups Links

                          • Valerie Talacko
                            Message 13 of 16 , Aug 5, 2007
                              Thanks! I think I've found the equivalent now - nasobilka, and nasobeni + dvojka etc. for the individual times table.

                              http://www.montessoricr.cz/clanky_detail.php?Id=40

                              Jeden z chlapcu zase na koberecku procvicuje násobilku. "Matematika me baví. Moc mi ale nejde násobení sedmickou," rekl chlapec

                              which in English would be: 'One little boy is sitting on a rug practising his times tables. 'I like maths [or math in the US]. But my seven times table isn't going very well,' said the little boy.

                              Valerie

                              James Kirchner wrote:
                              > You're confusing "times table" with "timetable".
                              >
                              > The "times tables" are the multiplication tables.
                              >
                              > Jamie
                              >
                              > On Aug 5, 2007, at 9:32 AM, Hana Jarolímová wrote:
                              >
                              >> time table je rozvrh hodin
                              >> H.

                              > Put your details on the Bohemica Translator Database:
                              > 1) Create your own account at bohemica.com,
                              > http://www.bohemica.com/user/register
                              > 2) Click on "Create Content"
                              > 3) Click on "Czech Services"

                            • spektrum2002
                              Message 14 of 16 , Aug 6, 2007
                                Takze matematicky vzato (pokud jsem to spravne pochopil):
                                V Cesku mame jednu tabulku male nasobilky (= do 10x10), coz je matrix
                                10x10 (10 rows x 10 columns), kdezto v Anglii etc. mate pro malou
                                nasobilku 10 tabulek, kde kazda je jeden radek, resp. matrix 1x10 :-).
                                Petr Adamek

                                --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, "Valerie Talacko" <valerie@...> wrote:

                                > Thanks! I think I've found the equivalent now - nasobilka, and
                                nasobeni + dvojka etc. for the individual times table.

                                > http://www.montessoricr.cz/clanky_detail.php?Id=40
                                >
                                > Jeden z chlapcu zase na koberecku procvicuje násobilku. "Matematika
                                me baví. Moc mi ale nejde násobení sedmickou," rekl chlapec

                                > which in English would be: 'One little boy is sitting on a rug
                                practising his times tables. 'I like maths [or math in the US]. But my
                                seven times table isn't going very well,' said the little boy.

                                > Valerie

                              • Valerie Talacko
                                Message 15 of 16 , Aug 6, 2007
                                  It's not actually a table (or doesn't have to be - I don't think we ever had it written out as one), it's just the usual term for the concept, esp. with regard to what children have to learn at school. It's interesting that in England it seems you still have to learn up to 12x - a hangover from when there were 12 pence in a shilling?

                                  Each number is referred to as a 'times table' and the whole lot are 'times tables'. So your daughter comes home from school and says 'I've got to learn my eight times table this week.'

                                  Valerie