Re: [Czechlist] Re: vysoka skola neuniverzitniho typu

    Message 1 of 15 , Aug 2, 2007
      On Aug 2, 2007, at 7:59 AM, Valerie Talacko wrote:

      > But 'primary school' in the UK means a school that goes up to age
      > 11. I wouldn't be comfortable with it. Why not use elementary
      > school, since at least that's used in the US to cover the same age
      > range?

      In the US, primary school, elementary school and grammar school mean
      the same thing.

      A public (i.e., municipal) elementary / primary / grammar school goes
      from kindergarten (age 5) to 5th or 6th grade (age 10 or 11),
      depending on the configuration in the particular district.

      A private or charter elementary / primary / grammar school usually
      goes from kindergarten or 1st grade (age 5 or 6) to the 8th grade
      (age 13). (A charter school is an independent school that is
      chartered by the state and is not governed by the district.)

      We don't make any verbal distinction between the two types of school
      based on number of years. We only distinguish public from private,
      and the rest is assumed. So a zakladni skola is still exactly
      equivalent to one common type of American elementary school.