Re: vysoka skola neuniverzitniho typu

    Message 1 of 15 , Aug 2, 2007
      FWIW I see that Cesko-anglicky pedagogicky slovnik (Jan Prucha)
      suggests 'basic school' for 'zakladni skola' with the rider: timto
      terminem se anglicky oznacuje jak ceska ZS, tak zakladni skola v
      nekterych zemich, napr. svedska Grundskola; presto je vhodne v
      prekladu do AJ specifikovat, ze jde o skolu s primarnim a nizsim
      sekundarnim stupnem podle ISCED 1997.

      BTW I see there is no actual mention of any 'basic school' in ISCED 1997:
      www.unesco.org/education/information/nfsunesco/doc/isced_1997.htm

      --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, "Valerie Talacko" <valerie@...> wrote:

      > I don't think 'basic school' is Czenglish. When you're describing
      different education systems, you inevitably have to use some terms
      that sound foreign. The main thing is that they should be
      understandable, and I think basic school passes that test.

      > The term 'elementary school' isn't used in the UK either, but I
      think it's fine to use it in a Czech context.
    • Valerie Talacko
      Message 2 of 15 , Aug 2, 2007
        But 'primary school' in the UK means a school that goes up to age 11. I wouldn't be comfortable with it. Why not use elementary school, since at least that's used in the US to cover the same age range?

        Message 3 of 15 , Aug 2, 2007
          On Aug 2, 2007, at 7:59 AM, Valerie Talacko wrote:

          > But 'primary school' in the UK means a school that goes up to age
          > 11. I wouldn't be comfortable with it. Why not use elementary
          > school, since at least that's used in the US to cover the same age
          > range?

          In the US, primary school, elementary school and grammar school mean
          the same thing.

          A public (i.e., municipal) elementary / primary / grammar school goes
          from kindergarten (age 5) to 5th or 6th grade (age 10 or 11),
          depending on the configuration in the particular district.

          A private or charter elementary / primary / grammar school usually
          goes from kindergarten or 1st grade (age 5 or 6) to the 8th grade
          (age 13). (A charter school is an independent school that is
          chartered by the state and is not governed by the district.)

          We don't make any verbal distinction between the two types of school
          based on number of years. We only distinguish public from private,
          and the rest is assumed. So a zakladni skola is still exactly
          equivalent to one common type of American elementary school.