pixies for the pixilated

  • Michaela Pekárková
    Message 1 of 10 , Jul 29 5:45 AM
      Hi,
      does anybody have an idea how to translate the phrase "pixies for the
      pixilated"?
      Thank you very much.
      Misa
      Message 2 of 10 , Jul 29 5:49 AM
        Where did THAT come from? What's the context?

        Jamie

        On Jul 29, 2007, at 8:45 AM, Michaela Pekárková wrote:

        > Hi,
        > does anybody have an idea how to translate the phrase "pixies for the
        > pixilated"?
        > Thank you very much.
        > Misa

      • Liz Spacilova
        Message 3 of 10 , Jul 29 1:18 PM
          I am also intrigued ... besides a little elf, a pixie is also the
          name of a really short haircut for females (like ...can't think of
          her name... the singer of The Cranberries has). The Pixies were also
          a late 80s/early 90s band from Boston. So context would help ...

          Liz

          --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, James Kirchner <jpklists@...>
          wrote:

          > Where did THAT come from? What's the context?
          >
          > Jamie
          >
          > On Jul 29, 2007, at 8:45 AM, Michaela Pekárková wrote:
          >
          > > Hi,
          > > does anybody have an idea how to translate the phrase "pixies
          for the
          > > pixilated"?
          > > Thank you very much.
          > > Misa

        • Michaela Pekárková
          Message 4 of 10 , Jul 29 10:32 PM
            It is from a sci-fi story. Workers find some horrible monsters in an
            abandoned village and their boss doesn´t believe them, he says that
            they fear their own shadows and then when somebody mentions these
            monsters again, he says: "Oh yes, pixies for the pixilated, no wonder."

            Does it help? :-)
          • Liz Spacilova
            Message 5 of 10 , Jul 30 12:08 AM
              Hi Michaela,

              Yes, that helps, I was starting to imagine an article in Elle about
              how we should all get excited about the latest trends in "pixie"
              haircuts. So as you can gather, what the boss said is hardly a common
              saying in English.

              Pixie means a magical little elf; pixilated means 'confused',
              (mildly) 'mad' or even 'intoxicated', the idea being that you've got a
              bit mad because the pixies have got to you.

              So what I understand the boss is trying to say is that because his
              employees are spooked, they are seeing spooks (when there are none).
              Think of little kids at the campfire at night after you have told them
              a few ghost stories. Afterwards, instead of hearing the wind rustle
              the leaves in the trees, they hear ghosts and goblins swooping down
              trying to get them. Anything that would communicate that idea in Czech
              would work.

              BR

              Liz

              --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, Michaela Pekárková
              <michaela.pekarkova@...> wrote:

              > It is from a sci-fi story. Workers find some horrible monsters in an
              > abandoned village and their boss doesn´t believe them, he says that
              > they fear their own shadows and then when somebody mentions these
              > monsters again, he says: "Oh yes, pixies for the pixilated, no
              wonder."

              > Does it help? :-)

            • Beata Rodlingova
              Message 6 of 10 , Jul 30 8:07 AM
                > So what I understand the boss is trying to say is that because his
                > employees are spooked, they are seeing spooks (when there are none).

                Strach ma velke oci :)

                Greetings from a lurker,
                B.
              • Liz Spacilova
                Message 7 of 10 , Jul 30 9:03 AM
                  > Strach ma velke oci :)

                  Or it just came to mind that you could play with the words obluda /
                  obludit ...

                  > Greetings from a lurker,
                  > B.

                  Lurkers, AAAAAAGH!!!!!! RUNNNNNNNNN.....
                • tomas_barendregt
                  Message 8 of 10 , Jul 31 6:35 AM
                    --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, "Beata Rodlingova"
                    <beatarodlingova@...> wrote:

                    > > So what I understand the boss is trying to say is that because his
                    > > employees are spooked, they are seeing spooks (when there are none).
                    >
                    > Strach ma velke oci :)

                    Another option might be "Kdo chce duchy videt..."

                    Tom
                  • Valerie Talacko
                    Message 9 of 10 , Jul 31 7:22 AM
                      I hadn't come across the word pixilated before (I like it!) but looking it up it seems to mean (as Liz said) drunk or a bit mad. So he's saying they're more than just afraid...

                      Message 10 of 10 , Aug 1, 2007
                        Thank you all for your help.
                        In the end I used "strach ma velke oci" :-)
                        Misa